T Nation

Raw Oatmeal

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Define raw oatmeal…I mean there isn’t really much difference between cooked oatmeal and the dry stuff is there?

A side note, I experience none of the cramping and stuff other people are talking about and I eat at least 2 packets of instant oatmeal that way, in my morning shake, daily. [/quote]

Instant oatmeal is a whole different food compared to rolled or steel cut oats. those two arent even comparable or should even be considered the same food.

you’re gonna get the oat shits at first.

after a few days of the oat shits and massive gas though, you’ll be fine.

I also grind it in a coffee grinder. It comes out like whey after. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. They’ve been giving it to horses since forever. And it is convenient as fuck. Throw some whey and oats in a shaker, and there is your meal to go.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
This is my oatmeal of choice. The link also explains the world of difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats.
www.mccanns.ie/pages/products1.html[/quote]

Oh shit I can’t eat anything that has an Endosperm in it. That’s just too much.

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
I also grind it in a coffee grinder. It comes out like whey after. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. They’ve been giving it to horses since forever. And it is convenient as fuck. Throw some whey and oats in a shaker, and there is your meal to go.[/quote]

Dude, just HAD to point out (as a former equestrian) that horses fart a LOT… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Off topic (forgive me) but the best feed for horses (besides grass) is ‘extruded’ feed, which is basically cooked and partially predigested/reconstituted grains - since it’s not natural for horses (or cattle for that matter)to eat raw grains, especially in high volume.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jinx Me wrote:
It won’t digest as easily, and could cause gas, bloating, and probably reduce the calories/nutrients you’re absorbing from it.

Another poster mentioned that he grinds it before adding it to his shake. That would probably help. It’s still a bit hard to digest, but much easier if it’s ground up.

Why are people going that route? Is it for fiber? If so, there are much easier more digestable sources of it.[/quote]

what are some examples sir?

I don’t put it in my shakes, but I eat raw oatmeal all the time. It’s no different than cooked oatmeal. I like both. Heating it with water doesn’t take anything out of it. It just increases the volume.