T Nation

Raw Food Diet - George Hackenschmidt

I’ve just read “The Way to Live in Health and Physical Fitness” by George Hackenschmidt. I bought it because I was particularly interested in his diet, he had an incredible physique for his era and was very lean for 99kg at 5’9". However, the chapter on nutrition in the book is just a small paragraph saying that the best foods are raw foods and to eat one quarter meat and three quarters vegetables/fruit/nuts. While this seems straightforward, would anybody be able to give more of an insight? Other than by eating a lot of red meat and nuts I struggle to see how he would have achieved the necessary calories to reach 99kg at his height and body fat level.

That’s not actually what he wrote. He wrote, “A fare which consists of three-quarters of vegetable food and one-quarter meat would appear to be the most satisfactory for the people of central Europe. Every one should and can find out which diet best suits his constitution, and he should avoid all food which disagrees with it.”

Basically, figure out what foods you responds best to. Some lifter do well low-to-no carb, some do IIFYM. Some lifters do well with intermittent fasting, some guys do 3 bigger meals a day, and some do 6 smaller ones. Magically, it all works.

[quote]Other than by eating a lot of red meat and nuts I struggle to see how he would have achieved the necessary calories to reach 99kg at his height and body fat level.
[/quote]
I guess you missed the part where Hackenschmidt wrote:

A few paragraphs later and around the same time, he writes of being measured at 5’9 1/2", 14 stone (89kg/196lbs). That’s with about 1,200 calories just from milk. He was eating plenty, don’t worry.

Thank-you for the reply, I only read the nutrition chapter as I got the book today and that’s what I bought it for! I’ve just started reading the rest of it and am looking forward to the auto-biography section. Thanks again for the reply, just what I was looking for, sorry if it came across a stupid question.