Raw Elite Total?

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
dang bro. i was just going to ask where youre at in MD, perhaps id be able to train with you some time and learn a bit. then i see that link. to think, theres a gym that not only knows what powerlifting is, but has fucking EFS racks, about an hour or so from me…DAAAAAANG. note to self: move to rockville. FML[/quote]

You should definitely stop by some time. It’s a great gym. I’m there Mon/Wed/Thurs evenings, and Saturday mid-day.

I have been looking at the 100% RAW totals and I agree that they may be too low. I have only been lifting with dedication since June of this year (after not doing any sort of physical activity for the previous 5 years) and am easily Class 2 in the 275 class with a Class 1 easily attainable by the end of the year…
But I don’t have any experience powerlifting yet, so take my opinion as an uneducated one…

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I have been looking at the 100% RAW totals and I agree that they may be too low. I have only been lifting with dedication since June of this year (after not doing any sort of physical activity for the previous 5 years) and am easily Class 2 in the 275 class with a Class 1 easily attainable by the end of the year…
But I don’t have any experience powerlifting yet, so take my opinion as an uneducated one…[/quote]

Early gains and progress come quick and relatively easy. Let us know your opinion when it slows down :slight_smile:

Well I must admit this is a well timed thread as I was wondering the same thing. I am at 208 on the scale right now and have a raw total in the low 1300 lbs range. I am hoping to get down to 198 scale and total 1500 within the next year. Been training for close to 18 years so gains are slow - - it may be too aggressive but wtf. If I can get there, it may not be elite but I will be most pleased. Made some amazing strides doing 5/3/1 …

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread. After reading all this and speaking with a lot of others, I think the Raw Unity Meet numbers are probably more reflective of the term “Elite”. I personally have totaled 1260 as a 181 and that’s after having only trained for a few years on my own.

That would put me about 136 pounds under the elite total for the SFP and 100% Raw. I agree that this might be a bit too low and as much as I want to total elite, I want to make sure it’s a true elite.

With that in mind, it’s time to jump face first into a world of hurt!

For Odin!

FOR ASGARD!!!

[quote]skizac wrote:
but I did it in my gym[/quote]

It’s not a total unless you do it in a meet. Sorry.

Here is a comparison of the 2009 AWPC/WPC raw worlds winning totals, the 2008 and 2009 USAPL raw nationals winning totals, and the 100% RAW, RAW Unity, and IPF elite totals.

Note: the 100% raw elite numbers are 84% of the IPF elite numbers and the RUM elite numbers are the IPF numbers minus 15kg (that’s what Talmant thinks you get out of knee wraps).

PowerliftingWatch keeps a list of the top 50 raw powerlifting results by formula in the world. Only 19 of the totals would qualify as “elite” under the RUM or IPF elite numbers. That is WAY less than 1% of all powerlifters. Only one of those totals was from a tested meet (Eric Kupperstein 1251 @ 132 in the USAPL).

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
skizac wrote:
but I did it in my gym

It’s not a total unless you do it in a meet. Sorry.[/quote]

It is what it is. I don’t demand that anybody believe me. My meet is coming up soon enough, and then I’ll have an official total.

[quote]skizac wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
skizac wrote:
but I did it in my gym

It is what it is. I don’t demand that anybody believe me. My meet is coming up soon enough, and then I’ll have an official total.[/quote]

Just realize that when you talk about your “total”, you are implying that it is an official total posted in a meet and validated by the officials of that federation.

To imply that your gym lifts are anything other than gym lifts is blatantly dishonest. Given that you seem to be fairly knowledgeable in regards to this whole powerlifting business, I’m assuming you already knew that calling it a “total” implies an official nature.

In other words, you talked about your raw gym “total” as if it were an official number even though you knew it wasn’t because that would make you look a lot cooler on the internet. Good job bro.

[quote]skizac wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
skizac wrote:
but I did it in my gym

It is what it is. I don’t demand that anybody believe me. My meet is coming up soon enough, and then I’ll have an official total.[/quote]

I think he is just busting your balls, man. Just getting an invite for Raw U is a feat in itself. Hopefully, I will get one before 2015.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
skizac wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
skizac wrote:
but I did it in my gym

It is what it is. I don’t demand that anybody believe me. My meet is coming up soon enough, and then I’ll have an official total.

Just realize that when you talk about your “total”, you are implying that it is an official total posted in a meet and validated by the officials of that federation.

To imply that your gym lifts are anything other than gym lifts is blatantly dishonest. Given that you seem to be fairly knowledgeable in regards to this whole powerlifting business, I’m assuming you already knew that calling it a “total” implies an official nature.

In other words, you talked about your raw gym “total” as if it were an official number even though you knew it wasn’t because that would make you look a lot cooler on the internet. Good job bro.[/quote]

i think you need to chill there a little, stronghold. when he refers to his “total” and specifically says that they are “gym lifts” in the same post, i dont think he is trying to imply anything. in fact, he is expressly saying that his “gym lifts” come to a “total” of X lbs.

i dont get how he could expressly say one thing, yet at the same time be implying the contrary?

i discuss my plans to compete with my fiance, and i refer to my “total” as well. as far as i know, the world of powerlifting has not copywrited the word “total”.

i dont know your lifts or how big you are or any of that, but your post comes off as jealousy. good job bro.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
I think he is just busting your balls, man. Just getting an invite for Raw U is a feat in itself. Hopefully, I will get one before 2015.[/quote]

Full disclosure: I haven’t actually gotten the invitation yet, but Eric Talmant has saved a spot for me, assuming I make the qualifying total before the end of December, which I should have no trouble doing.

[quote]skizac wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
I think he is just busting your balls, man. Just getting an invite for Raw U is a feat in itself. Hopefully, I will get one before 2015.

Full disclosure: I haven’t actually gotten the invitation yet, but Eric Talmant has saved a spot for me, assuming I make the qualifying total before the end of December, which I should have no trouble doing.[/quote]

is there something in MD that you know about? i browsed through my Oct issue of PLUSA, but i dont recall anything happening in MD. i was also only looking for the next couple months for the purposes of going to watch, so meets in VA, PA, etc i would have been skipping over.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:

i dont get how he could expressly say one thing, yet at the same time be implying the contrary?

[/quote]

Actually, he started talking about his “total” long before he ever mentioned they were gym lifts.

Specifically:

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
is there something in MD that you know about? i browsed through my Oct issue of PLUSA, but i dont recall anything happening in MD. i was also only looking for the next couple months for the purposes of going to watch, so meets in VA, PA, etc i would have been skipping over.
[/quote]

My gym is holding an unsanctioned meet on Nov. 21. There will be three USAPL judges there. Eric told me I can qualify at such a meet as long as I videotape it and beat the qualifying total by 50 pounds.

If for whatever reason I bomb out or can’t make weight, I’ll travel wherever I need to so that I can qualify.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Actually, he started talking about his “total” long before he ever mentioned they were gym lifts.
[/quote]

You’re right. I was loose with my use of the word “total”, not considering what it implies. Sorry.

[quote]skizac wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

You’re right. I was loose with my use of the word “total”, not considering what it implies. Sorry.[/quote]

That was all. Best of luck to you at your meet(s). Good to have strong people here on T-Nation.

man, Stronghold rules at T-Nationing!

Skizac,

is it cool to have spectators at this meet, or gym members only? id love to come watch. im pretty sure that morning im due in NoVA to take a law enforcement exam, but these things usually last a while, i could probably catch at least Deads depending on what time it is. thanks

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
man, Stronghold rules at T-Nationing!

Skizac,

is it cool to have spectators at this meet, or gym members only? id love to come watch. im pretty sure that morning im due in NoVA to take a law enforcement exam, but these things usually last a while, i could probably catch at least Deads depending on what time it is. thanks[/quote]

I’m sure it would be fine if you came out as long as you didn’t bring 10 people with you. It’s a pretty small gym and people will be training. Thanks for the support. :slight_smile:

Eric is a great organizer that has broght a cool concept to reality. That said, I think Talmants standards are probably on the high end. Basically someone weighing 280 needs to total close to 2000. That’d be something like 750/500/750. I see a lot of scary strong lifters, but it is exceedingly rare you’ll find a lifter with that kind of total. Few 500+ raw benchers (and there aren’t alot of 500+ raw benchers) can pull that much. Many very strong squatters/pullers are so-so benchers. If you play around with the numbers, it doesn’t get much better- 800/400/800? 750/600/650? At a 2000 elite total (without knee wraps, walked out squat), that translates to probably about 2300-2400 in IPF/USPF or 2500-2600 in APF/SPF/IPA.

I guess it comes down to what you think elite should be- is it like the 3 to 5 top lifters in a weight class or something broader. I think elite shoudl be something that any lifter of average genetics and above-average commitment can achieve in his lifting career- might take him 5 to 10 years, but he can do it. If you think that every 280 lb lifter can train his way way to a 2000 lb raw total, then you’re dreaming. In addition to smart choices, hard work and time, it also takes a good bit of genetics. If it didn’t, we’d all be Scott Smith.

I would call elite for a 308/SHW to be more like 1850 raw, no-wraps, walked out of jackstands. Thats like 700/450/700 or 650/425/775 and thats soemthing that just about any larger lifter can hit in a lifetime.