T Nation

Raw Eggs?

What are your thoughts on raw eggs?

I AM NOT worried about differing protein bioavailability between cooked and raw eggs.

I find it very convenient to add 4 whole eggs to my final whey shake of the day. Cheaper than Casein.

So, what are your thoughts with regards to getting food poisoning?

At the moment, I boil the 4 eggs for 2 minutes, and then crack them into my shake. I know that salmonila is found in/on the egg shell. So I boil them quickly to kill bacteria, but I don't boil them too long as to harden the egg.

Does this sound like a safe way to go about drinking eggs?

Cheers

Why dont you just boil them hard, add a bit of salt and pepper and eat them, and then wash them down with your shake?

tweet

I think there's already been a couple of threads about this. You'll reduce the risk of salmonella a lot by only drinking free-range organic eggs. Just washing the egg shell before cracking it reduces the risk even more... to a point where it's not really worth worrying about. I've gone through periods where I drank about 10 eggs per day. I just down them as shots, 1 egg at a time.

Great - thanks for that!

I buy pasteurized eggs

That would eliminate all need for concern wouldn't it...

Al eggs are fairly low risk. Since salmonella wont kill you (assuming you are healthy and dont have sickle cell) then why dont you just try it and report back.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/raw-eggs.htm

zenomaly hit the nail on the head. Stick with free range & organic.

As people said, go with free-range eggs. DO NOT eat raw eggs that you get from a crappy supermarket. i got salmonella that way LOL. severe dehydration ftw

Been drinking down raw eggs for a couple of years. No issues.

Been driving a car a LOT longer, never had an accident.

Flew in a plane maybe a dozen times. Never crashed.

Never been hit by lightening either.

Then again, I never won the lottery.

What you guys think of my method of flash boiling the eggs to kill bacteria that may be on the shell? Considering that 90% of salmonella from eggs is from the outside of the shell.. and that boiling water kills this bacteria on contact?

I have not found one single compelling reason why I should want or need to consume raw eggs.

It would take me so fucking long to eat 4 eggs, I cannot stand the taste. Just my reasons why I would want to chug raw eggs haha. But here is the almighty bioavailability convo!

Even if only half of the protein is absorbed, if I double the serving, won't I get my original desired range of protein?

EDIT: didnt see that OP said he is not worried about bioavailability. but always something to discusss since the fod poisoning questions are clarified.

Minutiae at best.

It's like arguing over which orange juice has the best vitamin C.

If you don't like eggs, don't eat them.

Then, I would have to say that you did not see Rocky when it first came out.

In fact, I did see Rocky when it first came out :stuck_out_tongue:

I probably thought it was ridiculous then (at age 5).

Eating raw eggs is soooo convenient.

I have an extremely cheap source of whey protein, and I like to add 3 or 4 raw eggs to my evening shake to slow down absorption time and to add nutrient dense calories (cheaper than cottage cheese or casein powder). Having a whey shake and eating 4 boiled eggs is not for me - to much effort to eat those eggs, when you eat so many eggs the taste becomes unbearable! Also, raw eggs add a nice vanilla flavor to the the shake, so it tastes good.

I spoke to friend of mine who has a doctorate in Nutrition. He was the one that suggested flash boiling my eggs before drinking. As 90% of salmonella comes from the shell, it reduces risk of getting food poisoning to 1 in 300,000. Which is less than your chances of getting sick from any meat source.

I know many people believe that cooked eggs provide higher usable protein content, but cooking the egg destroys much of the natural nutrient content of the egg. Eggs have an amazingly dense source of valuable nutrients for bodybuilding.. Just something to remember. These days I have a portion of cooked eggs each day and a portion of raw eggs with whey. Best of both worlds.

But at the end of the day, nothing beats a 1kg fillet steak cooked on the braai (barbaque)!

Details, please.

Here's what my quick search turned up (not to say I'm not open to other info):

To Cook, or Not to Cook? The Benefits of Raw Egg Yolks

Many people believe that the health benefits of egg yolks are greater when the yolks are consumed raw. Heat destroys enzymes, reduces the amounts of certain nutrients, and may make the amino acid cysteine less available, which is needed to synthesize the master antioxidant of the cell, glutathione.

Those who eat raw egg yolks report easier digestion, increased stamina, and resistance to illness â?? not to mention a quicker snack if they're on-the-go.

That said, there is little evidence beyond such anecdotes that egg yolks are truly more beneficial when consumed raw.

There is also little evidence to support the common belief that consuming raw egg yolks is dangerous. Please see Dr. Mercola's article on the safety of eating raw egg yolks if you are concerned about this.

Full Article:
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I have read a lot of crap on the internet over this - people run with one fact and make up a bunch of stuff to fill in the details. It is really simple to end the conversation, just buy pasteurized eggs! They have them at the grocery store (hailing from texas), and it reduces the .0030% risk of salmonella (1/30,000). Also, studies have shown that the issue of biotin deficiency (from those who only eat the egg whites - don't ask me, sounds like a waste of good yolk) is resolved with pasteurization, as it neutralizes the binding potential of avidin (an enzyme found in the egg white, where there is a large amount of biotin in the yolk - nature's way of saying eat the whole damn thing).

I will point out, however, that because the pasteurization does heat the egg, it makes problems for cooking it in certain ways. Most notably, it is really hard to whip a pasteurized egg, and you are supposed to add cream of tartar. Point being, when doing baking or certain cooking techniques and not just getting cheap protein, unpasteurized eggs would better suit the situation.