Raw eggs. What your opinion?

kazuma nobody is arguing here. We’re just having a discussion. Nobody is telling anybody what they should or shouldn’t be doing. We’re just making suggestions, stating facts and voicing our individual opinions. Relax

“Raw eggs. What your opinion?”

fucking disgusting!

Raw eggs,yuck.Thats the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tried.Yeah,I know,but that was back in the Dark Ages of bbing.
Besides being nasty,you may want to lay in a good supply of Charmin bathroom tissue,if you make this a common practice.

BASHER: Personally, I couldnt care less of a 3-second taste in my mouth. If thats the price to pay for better assimilation, more energy and less allergenic reactions (and thus less bloated look), it`s easy to pay.

Also, based on your logic, what are sunny-side-up eggs? A bastard, half-assed raw egg?

I am personally 0% convinced by Mercola’s reasoning.

Where’s the evidence? You can’t use reasoning to figure out how the human body works. You can only use reasoning to generate “reasonable” hypotheses – and then test them.

One of the first books I ever read about nutrition claimed that, when cooked, eggs were “indigestible.” The authors used the same reasoning, about how proteins are changed during cooking. Well, it turns out this reasoning is simply untrue. (And yes, digestibility and absorption CAN be tested.) A healthy gut has no problem digesting cooked eggs, in fact better than raw eggs.

If there are truly more people allergic to cooked eggs than raw eggs, it is probably because people EAT cooked eggs, not raw eggs. So they have way more opportunity to develop an immune response to cooked eggs.

I am allergic to all kinds of pollen. RAW pollen. Raw is no insurance against allergies.

If the chance of an egg having salmonella is 1 in 30,000, then the chance of an egg being OK is 29999 out of 30000. The chance of getting at least one infected egg in a random batch of 8 eggs is calculated as 100% minus the chance that every egg is OK. (Just think about it.) That makes the odds 1.0 - ((29999 / 30000) raised to the eighth power) or .000266 or approximately 2.7 in 10,000 or 1 in 3703 for any 8 egg meal.

This doesn’t even count the odds of actually catching salmonella if you’re exposed to it, and that varies according to your immune system.

Dan: At that particular time I was chugging down 8- 10 eggs,whites only, at a time.Like I said,that was back in what most of these guys would consider the dark ages,25 yrs ago.The effect of raw egg whites on myself was not pleasant.Maybe this was too much at a time,I don’t know.This experience however causes me(to this day) to gag
at the texture of an uncooked egg.I just wanted you to be aware that this is a possible side effect.

Time for the spelling nazi! It’s antediluvian, meaning “before the flood,” not antidiluvian, which would be “opposite the flood” or “opposed to the flood.”

I suppose that a dam would be “antidiluvian.”

And I cook my eggs.

come on guys who’s going to worry about a 1 in 30,000 chance of being exposed to a germ thats probably not going to make you sick anyway. Next thing your not going to use public restrooms cause a germ might get ya and no telling what kind of germs you might be exposed to eating fast food or kissing some ol skank at the bar, before you know it you’ll be living like howard hughes with kleenex boxes on your feet. So I’ll keep the raw eggs in my protien drink cause it adds a little flavor and a little more protien and all that other good stuff in eggs.

NEPHORM: Cool! Another English teacher! That way I`ll learn twice as fast! Thanks!

In response to anderson’s statement about Dr. Mercola just ‘reasoning’ that raw eggs are better is perhaps a little oversimplified. Let’s remember he is a doctor - an actively practicing doctor on more than one advisory board. So before we get into the argument about hoe that doesn’t mean shit because there are lots of quack doctors, my point is that he has the unique oppotunity to get feedback from hundreds if not thousands of his own patients, and the hundreds of thousands that write in to him. I figure he can get a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn’t by what works for his patients. This is all in addition to the science behind it all.

just my thoughts

When evaluating conflicting positions, I first look for who has better information. In this case, Dr. Mercola has no true evidence, just an opinion. According to his web site, he changed his opinion on eating cooked eggs, based on 1) the opinions of pet owners who prefer raw eggs for their pets, and 2) the author of a book advocating raw foods. The author of the book is not a doctor, or a scientist, just a guy who improved his health by changing his diet. And pet owners??

By contrast, a study that controlled confounding variables actually measured the utilization of raw vs. cooked proteins. This is good information. Since I eat eggs for the purpose of digesting and absorbing protein and nutrients, the no-brainer here is to cook them.

If Dr. Mercola claimed that many of his sick patients improved dramatically based on this ONE dietary change, eating raw rather than cooked eggs, I would consider the issue more. Even then, I would not assume the same benefit for healthy as for sick people.

ANDERSONS: Maybe. I just suspect, once again, lobbying behind eggs and milk. Here in Canada they have quotas to keep prices artificially high, and they destroy extra production instead of giving it to the needy.

Also, the Human race did survive quite a long time on the raw version of these 2 types of food, if they consumed them at all, before industrialization came in.

So the government probably just created some artificial demand with scare tactics. Or just plugged minimum daily requirements to keep you out of hospitals, therefore lowering public costs to a minimum. As long as youre not sick, they dont care, borderline, healthy or super-healthy.

While you could say that, whether I eat an egg raw or cooked is still eating an egg, using cooking as safeguard helps guarantee steady $ale$ from Joe Public.

But don`t take my word for it. I am anti-government at start. Anything coming from them can usually be bested by private entreprise. Oh well, end of rant. ;0)

hey guys,

since we’re on the subject of eggs, you
do know that the little white stuff that
you see next to the yolk is gasp!!
rooster goo!! damn, all the guy who eat
just egg whites have all been eating
rooster goo as well and thats the extra “protein” you’ve been eating…

just a litte info i thought i’d share.

Barton

Dan, Dan, Dan! Now you’ve made me realize that Mercola is conspiring with the Canadian government to prop up the egg industry by getting bodybuilders – the world’s biggest egg consumers – to eat their eggs raw so that they will have to eat twice as many to meet their protein targets.

Just kidding, of course! But really, don’t you think that stressing about the government is going to be far worse for your health than eating cooked eggs. (Or raw eggs.)

:slight_smile:

bartonmlee

I was under the impression that most of the eggs (if not the majority) were unfertilized. Unless there is some immaculate conception with hens, I sincerely doubt that any rooster ‘goo’ got into my eggs :slight_smile:

Besides, you don’t really want to ask the question “where did this come from”. If you are really interested, do a search for Louthan and “cow killer”. You can catch a glimpse of what life is like before your meat is packaged in styrofoam and plastic wrap and stocked on your stores shelves.

Just kidding, of course! But really, don’t you think that stressing about the government is going to be far worse for your health than eating cooked eggs. (Or raw eggs.)

Worst thing is, it doesnt even stress me. Its just my sweet old short fused self. While someone who doesnt know me would say that I am Icelike in person, <i>hey, thats the price to pay for keeping ones tongue under control</i>, I still havent found a way to stop myself from analytical-cut-through-the-bull thinking most of the time ;0)

So, no, not stress. It`s just healthy release and, bizarrely, opens the mind to other alternatives. When I am short fused on a subject, it just prompts me up to find more data to equilibrate my views of the situation. Not bad a mechanism so far.

Some could disagree, though. A local talk radio guy yesterday got pissed when I questionned his sources. Apparently his New-York-papers-are- the-only-credible-source mentality did not accept CNN. Oh well, his loss. ;0)