T Nation

Raw Eggs in Grow! Whey Shake?

Whats up everybody just had a quick question im real pressed for time in the morning, does anyone recommend throwing in 2 raw eggs with 2 scoops Grow! Whey? Is there a big difference in cooking the eggs opposed to drinking it? Thanks for any advice in advance.

i dont think there is a big difference if any? the only problem is any risk of getting sick, ie. salmonella etc.

but on a side not, when im running late, 2 eggs, milk, banana and protein in a shake is the best!

why not just add pasteurized egg whites and peanut butter so you dont get the salmonella risk?

wat u mean by pasteurized egg whites… those the ones that come in a carton???

1 cooked egg = 2 raw eggs in terms of protein absorption because of avidin.

I’ve been having 1-2 eggs in my morning shake for about 8 months.

Never been sick from it. I used to use the cheapest eggs I could find and just upgraded to the Egglands Best 2 weeks ago.

I’ve gained weight, strength and never been sick from it.

But that’s just me.

[quote]acelement wrote:
why not just add pasteurized egg whites and peanut butter so you dont get the salmonella risk?[/quote]

the chance of u getting salmonella from a raw egg is so small its nuts so u really dont have to worry to much about it and if u get omega 3 eggs then theres really no chance

[quote]Balboa-Man wrote:
1 cooked egg = 2 raw eggs in terms of protein absorption because of avidin.[/quote]

I’ve never understood why people around here don’t seem to grasp this concept.

What’s the point of consuming raw eggs if you’re not getting all of the protein?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
acelement wrote:
why not just add pasteurized egg whites and peanut butter so you dont get the salmonella risk?

the chance of u getting salmonella from a raw egg is so small its nuts so u really dont have to worry to much about it and if u get omega 3 eggs then theres really no chance[/quote]

How are omega 3 eggs supposed to reduce the risk of salmonella?

Unless they are sanitized, the risk of transmission is still present.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Balboa-Man wrote:
1 cooked egg = 2 raw eggs in terms of protein absorption because of avidin.

I’ve never understood why people around here don’t seem to grasp this concept.

What’s the point of consuming raw eggs if you’re not getting all of the protein?[/quote]

Granted this is just from Wiki; but avidin in an egg only counts for 0.05% of the protien…so what’s the big deal?

By that I mean…is this really that big of a deal? I doubt the OP is THAT in depth with his diet/training that he’s going to freak out about something to small.

If your in a rush in the morning; toss some eggs in your shake…it’s doubtful you’ll see adverse effects.

boiled eggs travel well.

i just learned how to cook them. it’s easy: eggs in warm filtered water will help them from cracking but i just put them in a pot, bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.

2 boiled eggs = 12g protein
slice some mozarella cheese sticks to go, as well, (3oz=18g) and you got 30g of protein

[quote]B rocK wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
Balboa-Man wrote:
1 cooked egg = 2 raw eggs in terms of protein absorption because of avidin.

I’ve never understood why people around here don’t seem to grasp this concept.

What’s the point of consuming raw eggs if you’re not getting all of the protein?

Granted this is just from Wiki; but avidin in an egg only counts for 0.05% of the protien…so what’s the big deal?

By that I mean…is this really that big of a deal? I doubt the OP is THAT in depth with his diet/training that he’s going to freak out about something to small.

If your in a rush in the morning; toss some eggs in your shake…it’s doubtful you’ll see adverse effects.[/quote]

If I ate my 6 whole eggs raw everyday I’d missed out on about a 1000 grams of a protein every year. I’ll take this doctors word on it.

Dr. David Ryan:
Some older athletic diets use to propose eating just raw eggs. This is a foolish attempt at taking in additional protein. Eating raw eggs (or raw egg whites) will only result in about 50% absorption of the available protein. That means that if you eat enough raw eggs to give you 40 grams of protein, your body will only absorb 20 grams.

Eating just raw egg whites results in the same (or worse). Egg whites have a huge amount of a substance called “avidin,” which loves biotin. As a matter of fact, once the avidin-biotin forms a bond, the body can’t break it apart. So you will develop a partial or full Biotin Deficiency Syndrome. Cooking your eggs (or egg whites) will quickly denature the protein avidin and will allow you to absorb 98% of the protein. In short, always cook your eggs.

You make your point stronger by saying “1000g of protein a year” which sounds like a lot; but isn’t.

If the “average” person is taking 250g/day that’s 91,375g a year…which is 1% of your protein intake per year.

If you are really worried about that 1% a year…then make the time to cook your eggs.

My main point with all my posts here was that it isn’t a Major problem if your trying to get out the door faster in the morning (or sleep an extra 10-15min like I do).

Lastly, I’m not really sure who Dr. Ryan is.

wow, done. so if i want 2 eggs in a shake, better make it 4 :slight_smile:

[quote]B rocK wrote:
You make your point stronger by saying “1000g of protein a year” which sounds like a lot; but isn’t.

If the “average” person is taking 250g/day that’s 91,375g a year…which is 1% of your protein intake per year.

If you are really worried about that 1% a year…then make the time to cook your eggs.

My main point with all my posts here was that it isn’t a Major problem if your trying to get out the door faster in the morning (or sleep an extra 10-15min like I do).

Lastly, I’m not really sure who Dr. Ryan is. [/quote]

It is what is B Rock, people can do whatever the fuck they want. I could care less now that I think of it. I just like getting ever bit of my moneys worth is all. I mean if I went to a coffee house and ordered a small coffee and right before they gave it to me they dumped half of it down the drain, I’d be pissed. It’s not statistics and numbers and all that bullshit it’s the “principal” of the matter. I paid for all that protein so I want every bit I can get.

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
wow, done. so if i want 2 eggs in a shake, better make it 4 :)[/quote]

Have you ever just cracked one open and just ate it? Weirdest thing to eat striaght up.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
B rocK wrote:
You make your point stronger by saying “1000g of protein a year” which sounds like a lot; but isn’t.

If the “average” person is taking 250g/day that’s 91,375g a year…which is 1% of your protein intake per year.

If you are really worried about that 1% a year…then make the time to cook your eggs.

My main point with all my posts here was that it isn’t a Major problem if your trying to get out the door faster in the morning (or sleep an extra 10-15min like I do).

Lastly, I’m not really sure who Dr. Ryan is.

It is what is B Rock, people can do whatever the fuck they want. I could care less now that I think of it. I just like getting ever bit of my moneys worth is all. I mean if I went to a coffee house and ordered a small coffee and right before they gave it to me they dumped half of it down the drain, I’d be pissed. It’s not statistics and numbers and all that bullshit it’s the “principal” of the matter. I paid for all that protein so I want every bit I can get.

[/quote]

I get what you man, and to each their own. No worries, I wasn’t trying to come across as an ass or anything. I was just looking at it by how much my time is worth to me VS. cost of protein (both money-cost and amount of protien-cost; if that makes sense)

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
crod266 wrote:
acelement wrote:
why not just add pasteurized egg whites and peanut butter so you dont get the salmonella risk?

the chance of u getting salmonella from a raw egg is so small its nuts so u really dont have to worry to much about it and if u get omega 3 eggs then theres really no chance

How are omega 3 eggs supposed to reduce the risk of salmonella?

Unless they are sanitized, the risk of transmission is still present.[/quote]

because the organic eggs are less lilkely to have a bad egg containing salmonella. You can still get it with organic eggs but its less likely to have an egg containing it.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

Granted this is just from Wiki; but avidin in an egg only counts for 0.05% of the protien…so what’s the big deal?
[/quote]

I second your reasoning but not your conclusion. If I recall well the problem with avidin is that it binds with biotin preventing the biotin from being absorbed by your gastrointestinal tract and inhibiting your protein assimilation.

[quote]Balboa-Man wrote:
B rocK wrote:

Granted this is just from Wiki; but avidin in an egg only counts for 0.05% of the protien…so what’s the big deal?

I second your reasoning but not your conclusion. If I recall well the problem with avidin is that it binds with biotin preventing the biotin from being absorbed by your gastrointestinal tract and inhibiting your protein assimilation.[/quote]

unless you have a shitty ass diet and don’t get biotin from other sources(alot of things have b-vitamins), you don’t have anything to worry about.

B Rock it’s all cool you didn’t come off as an ass. Just everyone has their own style of doing things. Hey if it works for you by all means keep doing you. As long as we don’t succumb to people touting our high protein diets as useless, were all good:D.