Raw Eggs - How Dangerous?

I hate eggs, and I cannot stand the taste of them. They are such a good source of protein that I know that I SHOULD eat them. So I was thinking about putting some in a shake. Would it be safe to pop a couple of raw eggs in a breakfast shake, and are there any other ways of eating eggs without having to taste them?

Raw eggs suck, man. They aren’t statistically that dangerous, but you get more protein from them cooked, and they don’t taste like cold snot. Maybe mix them in with some soup or something. Sometimes I throw a few in with Ramen, if I eat it.
If you do get sick from them you will regret it though.

[quote]Kratos wrote:
Raw eggs suck, man. They aren’t statistically that dangerous, but you get more protein from them cooked, and they don’t taste like cold snot. Maybe mix them in with some soup or something. Sometimes I throw a few in with Ramen, if I eat it.
If you do get sick from them you will regret it though.[/quote]

actually if you want to get technical about it the whotes protein is more bioavailable cooked and the yolk more so raw. So you could cook scramble the white and then put in bowl with yolks and mega Protein LOL it actually tatse damn good as well ben a while though

Great suggestion on the soup. Bro make a meat loaf, lean meats, eggs and veggies like onion , green pepper hell even bcoccoli, bake that S.O.B and you have a protein cake ready to go.

I mix then with all kinds of veggies and meats and bake em good stuff holds it all together as well. But hell I like eggs.

Phill

This is a bit of a paradox-you hate eggs, so you want to eat them raw, even though in their raw state they taste even worse? Just add some spices or something to your eggs and bear through it; it would be better tasting than raw eggs.

Low risk of getting sick. But if you get sick… you will curse the day you ever ingested a raw egg.

Depending on what study you believe, something like 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 30,000 eggs are contaminated with Salmonella.

Then again, this whole line of inquiry is absurd. Learn to cook. Problem solved. Why try to choke something down that is easily made palatable with relatively little skill in the kitchen?

[quote]rg73 wrote:
Depending on what study you believe, something like 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 30,000 eggs are contaminated with Salmonella.

Then again, this whole line of inquiry is absurd. Learn to cook. Problem solved. Why try to choke something down that is easily made palatable with relatively little skill in the kitchen?[/quote]

This was done on normal, grade A eggs.
Getting sick would be extremely rare if you consumed raw, organic or free range eggs.
I went into great detail about raw eggs a couple months back I believe.

It would be nice if people read these
threads before making new posts.
A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture showed that of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, only 2.3 million of them are contaminated with salmonella.
That means only 0.003 percent of eggs are infected.

Obviously, this is a small number.
However, if, once again, you are purchasing eggs from healthy chickens this infection risk is reduced dramatically.

Only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs.

I’ve recently started adding raw eggs to my protein shake, usually just 2 at a time, I ate about 8 eggs a day for about 4 months straight this summer and have a hard time eating them now, so they go tasteless in a shake, and it’s a lot quicker too.

Maybe just eat cooked egg whites, they have less taste, a decent amount of protein, and they also have a much more palpable consistency versus whole eggs that have snotty entrails sometimes. Otherwise, just get your favorite hot sauce and go at it. Eggs don’t have to taste like eggs.

If anyone can answer this. With regards to raw vs. cooked. I have read many conflicting thoughts about it. Salmonella aside, Some people suggest that only the yolk should ever be consumed raw, and that consuming it raw gives you the best absorption of not only the proteins but also the vitamins. Meanwhile, the white is nearly opposite, in that it is best cooked for the same reasons. Is that true?

The point is, I don’t really want to have to eat the eggs. I was hoping that if I put them in a protein shake, they would go down tastelessly.

Would salomenalla kill me?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
The point is, I don’t really want to have to eat the eggs. I was hoping that if I put them in a protein shake, they would go down tastelessly.

[/quote]

I mentioned this in my thread about eggs as a protein source. I put a couple of egg whites in my protein shake and it’s basically as if they weren’t even there…no taste at all.

The important thing is to separate the yolk from the white. If you put a couple of whole eggs with yolks into your shake, there will definitely be an ‘eggy’ taste to it because it is the yolk that has the strong taste.

You get a bit less protein using whites only, but it does add to the nutritional value of the shake.

I know there is a small risk of salmonella, but I’ve heard that the contamination of the bacteria is usually on the outside of the egg - on the shell - and not actually inside the egg. So if you wash the eggs and your hands before using them and handle them carefully, it will reduce the risk of salmonella.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
rg73 wrote:

Then again, this whole line of inquiry is absurd. Learn to cook. Problem solved. Why try to choke something down that is easily made palatable with relatively little skill in the kitchen?

This was done on normal,grade A eggs.
Getting sick would be extremely rare if you consumed raw,organic or free range eggs.
I went into great detail about raw eggs a couple months back I believe.
It would be nice if people read these
threads before making new posts.
A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture showed that of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, only 2.3 million of them are contaminated with salmonella.
That means only 0.003 percent of eggs are infected.
Obviously, this is a small number.
However,if,once again,you are purchasing eggs from healthy chickens this infection risk is reduced dramatically.
Only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs[/quote]

I eat organic raw egg yolks, but I would never consume an egg bought in the grocery store raw. Its best if you can find a local source of organic eggs from well treated and healthy animals to minimize disease risk.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I hate eggs, and I cannot stand the taste of them. They are such a good source of protein that I know that I SHOULD eat them. So I was thinking about putting some in a shake. Would it be safe to pop a couple of raw eggs in a breakfast shake, and are there any other ways of eating eggs without having to taste them?[/quote]

Are you wanting the extra protein or are there other aspects of eggs that you’re trying to add? If you just want the extra protein, look for some egg protein powder. If you’re wanting more, I can’t help you there. I love eggs.

[quote]Phill wrote:

actually if you want to get technical about it the whotes protein is more bioavailable cooked and the yolk more so raw. So you could cook scramble the white and then put in bowl with yolks and mega Protein LOL it actually tatse damn good as well ben a while though

[/quote]

That is why I eat them sunny side up with the yolk runny.

Actually I didn’t know that and I just like the runny yolk.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
…However,if,once again,you are purchasing eggs from healthy chickens this infection risk is reduced dramatically.
Only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs[/quote]

How do you know? The organic label is no guarantee.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I hate eggs, and I cannot stand the taste of them. They are such a good source of protein that I know that I SHOULD eat them. So I was thinking about putting some in a shake. Would it be safe to pop a couple of raw eggs in a breakfast shake, and are there any other ways of eating eggs without having to taste them?[/quote]

I love eggs any way anyone can think of, but aside from what’s been said you may find you get used to them after a little while of eating them consistently too. They are a great source of protein as you say and pretty cheap too.

Except the organic cage free ones which I’d love to get, but they are several times more expensive here. I can get 2 dozen for a buck 80 of the regular ones and the cage free ones are 3.49 a dozen.

Look around your area and see if anyone sells pasteurized eggs. These are eggs that have been raised to a temperature high enough for a specific amount of time that if there were any “bugs” they’re dead. I’ve read they are much safer, but I don’t know if that’s a fact. But after you drink them you have hold you fists in the air and scream “ADRIIIIAAAAAAN” :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, and I treated a guy with salmonella once. It might not kill you, but you’ll sure wish it would.

You could just get egg beaters, which are the egg whites in a carton. They’re pasteurized, so you cant get sick, and you can just pour a carton into one of your shakes for some added protein.

all i know is raw egg, protein powder and heavy whipping cream = delicious!

I eat them 1 every day in my supershakes. I have a slight lactose intolerance so I have to use them instead of cottage cheese. I have a about 50 laying hens so at least I know their origin.