Raw Competition Squat Depth

[quote]JLederach wrote:
OH and the meet will be USAPL[/quote]

Then squat deep.

Here’s an example of too deep:

Boy, I laugh when I watch that. I’ve since changed my squatting style and now squat wide stance to depth but no more.

For your first meet, I’d play it safe. Good luck to you.

[quote]JLederach wrote:
by “too deep” i just meant could i get away with a little higher…there’s definitely no such thing too deep that’s for sure. kinda looking for the minimum to pass i guess. but yeah i guess the depth in raw vs. suited squatting debate is that controversial?? hahaha OH and the meet will be USAPL[/quote]

I’d double check with some USAPL guys then because if your elitefts belt is USAPL legal or not

to the basement!

kpsnap - I laugh more at the spotters. Had I been at that meet I’d of requested new ones.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
kpsnap - I laugh more at the spotters. Had I been at that meet I’d of requested new ones.[/quote]

lol this, that looked like Team Awful: Spotter Edition right there

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

kpsnap - I laugh more at the spotters. Had I been at that meet I’d of requested new ones.[/quote]

lol this, that looked like Team Awful: Spotter Edition right there[/quote]

Hahahah I bet none of those guys could squat the 65kg you just put up hahahahahahah

I’d double check with some USAPL guys then because if your elitefts belt is USAPL legal or not[/quote]

A belt is a belt. As long as it’s the right diameter and a powerlifting belt, I don’t think it matters. Hell, my EFS wrist-wraps were approved at Nationals and they’re made of the knee-wrap material that’s usually banned in USAPL.

The only thing you wouldn’t be able to get away with is the EFS knee sleeves of any variety.

Some federations have restrictions on how thick the belt can be animus. If I recall USAPL doesn’t allow over 10 mm for belts.

[quote]arramzy wrote:

lol this, that looked like Team Awful: Spotter Edition right there[/quote]

Hahahah I bet none of those guys could squat the 65kg you just put up hahahahahahah[/quote]

Well, in defense, I only weigh 110 lb, so anybody could spot me and my weights. The meet organizer always brings in bigger/better spotters when the guys compete.

And 10 cm max belt thickness is correct for USAPL.

10cm is the maximum width, 13mm is the maximum thickness according to http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/USAPLHandbook2.pdf

Yes, I meant width. Thanks for the clarification.

Saw a couple of guys using EFS belts at the USAPL meet I did in November if it’s any more of a reassurance. Like others said, a belt is a belt.

Some federations have restrictions on how thick the belt can be animus. If I recall USAPL doesn’t allow over 10 mm for belts.[/quote]

That’s what I meant by “diameter.” Was early in the morning, sorry. Diameter was completely not the right word.

USAPL allows 10mm and 13mm belts.

For all the boring details and rules on costume and lifts etc, check out the IPF technical rules: http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/50.html

Everything is outlined there in extensive detail :slight_smile:

Well remember not everyone lifts in the IPF. Point is, know the rules of whatever federation is hosting the meet you’re in people. Don’t get DQ’d for something stupid.

Well remember not everyone lifts in the IPF. Point is, know the rules of whatever federation is hosting the meet you’re in people. Don’t get DQ’d for something stupid.[/quote]

What? That’s crazy talk! We’re all IPF.

You’re right though about finding out what is needed. I can’t tell you how many equipment checks we’ve done in which people don’t bother finding out basics like the fact that they need a singlet. I’m thinking of starting to sell knee socks and tighty whiteys at open meets because there are always people that don’t have them.

Know the equipment required and the rules. If it’s a USAPL meet, the IPF technical manual covers it all. It’s a bit dry but informative. Other feds should have similar documents.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

What? That’s crazy talk! We’re all IPF.

You’re right though about finding out what is needed. I can’t tell you how many equipment checks we’ve done in which people don’t bother finding out basics like the fact that they need a singlet. I’m thinking of starting to sell knee socks and tighty whiteys at open meets because there are always people that don’t have them.

Know the equipment required and the rules. If it’s a USAPL meet, the IPF technical manual covers it all. It’s a bit dry but informative. Other feds should have similar documents.[/quote]

I’ve only ever HEARD of people getting DQ’d for not having briefs. I always bring them, but if they don’t ask to see my underwear, I’m not changing out of my boxer-briefs.

You’re squatting is fine. If you squat in USPA they make you go below parallel. You’ll want to see what the rules are for whatever Fed you decide to compete in.

hey guys just checked the rule book my belt will be legal at 13mm thickness

[quote]JLederach wrote:
hey guys just checked the rule book my belt will be legal at 13mm thickness[/quote]

He’s mostly just saying to be careful because there’s a chance that it won’t be accepted due to not being IPF-approved (i.e. the company has not, and will not, pay dues). These are the same issues that came up with Metal and I think Titan (or was it another company?) last year when these companies STOPPED paying dues. Despite being technically approved, IPF didn’t allow them.

USAPL doesn’t tend to care as much. Like I said, my EFS gear went through just fine (and even sport a nice “IPF Approved” stamp on them now in case of complications) but since some judges out there are super strict, you’ll run across the odd judge who’ll ask you to take it off. EXTREMELY unlikely, but be aware of the possibility.