Raw Benching

In 5/3/1, Jim advises against using bands on speed work to improve raw benching Has anyone used the bands and prefer them over straight weight for speed work?

Please excuse my idiocy. I started two identical threads and changed this one to one about benching. If you have anything to add to either please do.

I prefer chains for speed work on the bench. Bands really beat up my shoulders.

On my current program when it calls for 58-62% for high volume, I use bands. I have found bands have really help me become more explosive with all weight from light to ME.

Now on my competition phase which consists of the next 4 weeks leading into comp I will ditch the bands. the bands are good, but they really tax the hell out of me and for one I am glad my volume phase is over.

In summary, bands work and I would love to use chains but my gym does not have chains which would mean I would have to carry in chains on my squat, bench and DL days and I am just too lazy to drag them in if I had them:(

I was using bands for a while with my gear training, but since I am starting 531 i might not do it anymore. I would also listen to what Wendler has to say, he is the expert.

Bands are fun though (not)

I honestly really like using bands on speed days as opposed to straight weight, because I feel like they help keep my form tighter as I explode through the top part of the lift. They are a little rougher on the joints probably, but as long as you cycle through using them and straight weight every few weeks you should be fine.

The big benefit I see from using bands is that they force you to stay tight where you might otherwise relax with submax weight.

Of course the argument is you shouldn’t be relaxing with straight weight anyway because if you do then you’re not doing your DE work correctly!

I like bands for speed work. I do this to improve my raw and shirted bench. I use either one or two monster mini’s run under the bench cross beam. I don’t really pay attention to percentages for bar weight. Bar weight is really just a function of what my speed and percieved exertion is like that day- sometimes 225 with one band is slower/harder than 255 with two bands. So I usually just work up by feel through my work sets.

If I were only training for a raw bench, I would probably just modify my max effort work and accessory work. For example- i would drop my shirt work (duh) and any higher board work in favor of more full range work and shit like camber bar bench or inclines. I would probabaly also do more heavy DB work. As for speed work, I woudl keep that the same. I would argue that speed off the chest will do more for a raw bench than a shirted bench. Bands will make you faster.

This may end up being double post, but so be it.

Do you prefer to perform speed work with a slow(er) decent and then an explosive concentric portion (which is arguably how you’d attempt a max weight), or do you just crank out your reps as fast as possible while staying tight?

[quote]Steve the PLer wrote:

Do you prefer to perform speed work with a slow(er) decent and then an explosive concentric portion (which is arguably how you’d attempt a max weight), or do you just crank out your reps as fast as possible while staying tight?[/quote]

considering most people (i think) do speed work paused to 1. perform it like a competition lift and 2. get the benefit of getting the most speed off the chest, so i would lower it slower and controlled then POW explode up with it, i have used bands fro speed and ME work as a raw lifter and find them effective, i find reverse band presses are the most effective for me i increased my bench 30 or so pounds in a couple months with a few cycles of them

[quote]Steve the PLer wrote:

Do you prefer to perform speed work with a slow(er) decent and then an explosive concentric portion (which is arguably how you’d attempt a max weight), or do you just crank out your reps as fast as possible while staying tight?[/quote]

I would say it depends on sticking point. If you’re stuck off the chest, a pause would be better. If you’re stuck further up, a little more explosiveness would be more appropriate.

As far as the original question goes - I find that my shoulder hates band resistance.

I’ve also never noticed any carryover from speed work to my bench as well (raw).

I don’t know of anyone that does speed work paused.

[quote]Modi wrote:
I don’t know of anyone that does speed work paused.[/quote]

Cressey recommended it in this article awhile back:

But, as I said earlier, I never saw any significant improvement to my raw bench from speed work, doing both standard and paused lifts.

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Modi wrote:
I don’t know of anyone that does speed work paused.[/quote]

Cressey recommended it in this article awhile back:

But, as I said earlier, I never saw any significant improvement to my raw bench from speed work, doing both standard and paused lifts.[/quote]

Cressey’s a great guy. Not exactly known for his bench though…

I like paused bench, and I like pressing it as quickly as possible, but when I combine the two, I only pause the first rep and then press the next two as quickly as possible. I have tried pausing all the speed benches and just didn’t like the movement.

Ultimately it’s about finding what works for the individual. And I can’t say I got much out of either paused or touch and go speed work, other than learning to press the bar as quickly as possible regardless of the weight on the bar.