T Nation

Raw Bench Training

So…I’ve got a weak bench…always have…i’ve been training for three years and i’m looking to do a bench and dead comp soon…

I’ve looked around a for articles on bench technique most of what i’ve found is for shirted technique…i was wondering if anyone has any good articles or advice on raw bench training or technique or anything else that you all will think might help me out…thanks a lot

Blast your bench program.

Best money I ever spent.

I lift raw, and have been following the WestSide Method for over two years, with excellent benefits. You should try it.

FWIW, I got my biggest gains when I started doing rack lockouts for my triceps.

Actually I’ve been wanting to do this for some time…

You’ll need some plywood cut into 1’ x 2’ boards (12"x24"). You can get 16 out of a 4x8, 3/4" sheet.

Set the rack so you’re doing heavy lockouts far above your current full ROM max. Every second or third workout, place one 3/4" board under each end of the bench thereby increasing your ROM by 3/4".

Try to maintain your max on the lockouts while increasing the ROM slightly.

You may need a week or two to get your lockout max back up but it’ll come.

In a matter of weeks, you’ll be close to your full ROM at a much higher weight (at least on paper).

Another raw trick I learned from Dinosaur Training is to set the pins in a power rack so you bench from the bottom up. The bar rests on the pins brushing the chest slightly (use plywood to dial it in).

Press in singles, doubles or triples from that low position. I find when I go back to top down benching, it flies off the chest due to the SSC of the regular technique.

There are so many articles on benching on this site…Here is a list to get you started. Just do a simple search on “bench” and you will find a wealth of knowlege about benching.

Personally, Ian King, Charles Poliquin, and Dave Tate have all helped me in my personal quest to hit 300lbs, then 400lbs, and now I am trying for 500lbs. These guys really know their shit!

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_101bench

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-001-training

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=181bone2

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=173bench2

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=158bench2

[quote]derek wrote:
Actually I’ve been wanting to do this for some time…

You’ll need some plywood cut into 1’ x 2’ boards (12"x24"). You can get 16 out of a 4x8, 3/4" sheet.

Set the rack so you’re doing heavy lockouts far above your current full ROM max. Every second or third workout, place one 3/4" board under each end of the bench thereby increasing your ROM by 3/4".

Try to maintain your max on the lockouts while increasing the ROM slightly.

You may need a week or two to get your lockout max back up but it’ll come.

In a matter of weeks, you’ll be close to your full ROM at a much higher weight (at least on paper).

Another raw trick I learned from Dinosaur Training is to set the pins in a power rack so you bench from the bottom up. The bar rests on the pins brushing the chest slightly (use plywood to dial it in).

Press in singles, doubles or triples from that low position. I find when I go back to top down benching, it flies off the chest due to the SSC of the regular technique.[/quote]

I have also realy wanted to try this!

I just got a power rack and Im thinking about doing this with some full rom benching afterwards to keep my full range bench up.

Anyone ever seen any articles on this? Bench programs based on this etc?

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:
I lift raw, and have been following the WestSide Method for over two years, with excellent benefits. You should try it.

FWIW, I got my biggest gains when I started doing rack lockouts for my triceps.[/quote]

Ditto. After a 30-day HF routine you’ll also come back stronger than ever. I’m starting a new HF program tomorrow and I’m going to use the Westside lifts as the main staples this time. What does happen is that you lose strength by the end of 10 days but after 5 days off you just may set a new PR.

As for rack lockouts, they are very powerful especially if you combine them with static holds. Say your 1RM is 305. Load 350-400 and unrack. Hold the load in the last 1/4 of the lift for 5-10 sec. Repeat a few times then go to a weight you could use for 6-8. You’ll love how light it feels! Good Luck!

awesome thanks for all the help guys…i’m gonna start reading those right now…

i just started doing rack lockouts today for the first time…i get stuck about 6 inches off my chest so i set the rack at about 6 inches and went from there…i’m looking foward to see what i can do…i’m weak so there is plenty of room for improvement…

once again…thanks for the help

[quote]agr117 wrote:
awesome thanks for all the help guys…i’m gonna start reading those right now…

i just started doing rack lockouts today for the first time…i get stuck about 6 inches off my chest so i set the rack at about 6 inches and went from there…i’m looking foward to see what i can do…i’m weak so there is plenty of room for improvement…

once again…thanks for the help[/quote]

Go heavy and hard on lat training too. The first few inches off the chest have a lot to do with flareing the lats.

Also, speed benches will help. You’ll need to learn to press FAST to get past that sticking point. That’s why I like bands. You HAVE TO press fast or you’ll never lock it out.

You can also set the rack pins exactly where your sticking point is and work the heck out of that + or - an inch or two.