I have been looking into doing a powerlifting meet but, have little experience in powerlifting style bench. All I have ever trained for is Strongman and I did bench maybe once every 6 months if that much. So i looked on youtube and what not for Bench tips but pretty much anything I find is tips on benching in a shirt. I guess my question is essentially what is the difference in actual technique from Raw to Geared.
I am focusing on a few things right now cant get my phone to post a video so I will just describe in detail best I can.
- I lay on bench getting my arch as high as possible ( its probably not crazy high but, best I can do due to l4-l5 and l5-s1 disc injuries)
- I grip bar roughly one thumb length from where the knurling starts so a relatively close grip.
- Once un-racked I bring down in as straight a line as possible keeping elbows tucked in as much as possible and really squeezing the bar.
- Bar will touch right under my pecs is paused for brief second and exploded up as fast as possible.
- Bar begins to raise and my elbows become slightly untucked and begin to flair outward but goes into lock out pretty smooth.
I am very new to benching and best 1rm I tested today was 235lbs pretty easy at about 200lbs but plan to drop around 10lbs before I compete. Any advice would be appreciated.