Raw Bench Question

I have been looking into doing a powerlifting meet but, have little experience in powerlifting style bench. All I have ever trained for is Strongman and I did bench maybe once every 6 months if that much. So i looked on youtube and what not for Bench tips but pretty much anything I find is tips on benching in a shirt. I guess my question is essentially what is the difference in actual technique from Raw to Geared.

I am focusing on a few things right now cant get my phone to post a video so I will just describe in detail best I can.

1. I lay on bench getting my arch as high as possible ( its probably not crazy high but, best I can do due to l4-l5 and l5-s1 disc injuries)
  2. I grip bar roughly one thumb length from where the knurling starts so a relatively close grip.
  3. Once un-racked I bring down in as straight a line as possible keeping elbows tucked in as much as possible and really squeezing the bar.
  4. Bar will touch right under my pecs is paused for brief second and exploded up as fast as possible.
  5. Bar begins to raise and my elbows become slightly untucked and begin to flair outward but goes into lock out pretty smooth.
  6. Racked.

I am very new to benching and best 1rm I tested today was 235lbs pretty easy at about 200lbs but plan to drop around 10lbs before I compete. Any advice would be appreciated.

train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/

Have a gander

Thank you

How much can you OHP? If your shoulder strength is good, I expect your bench will fly up once you start training it regularly. Good luck!

strict press about 190-200lbs but have put 290lbs using a push press or jerk.

[quote]Reed wrote:
strict press about 190-200lbs but have put 290lbs using a push press or jerk.[/quote]

That’s pretty strong! I look forward to seeing how far you can take your bench.

For those in the know, do the bench tips in this article by Dave Tate refer to shirted or raw benching? Here’s the link: Bench Press 600 Pounds

A thumbs width out is a pretty damn close grip. I personally use about a thumb, maybe a little less, from the rings.

[quote]Reed wrote:
5. Bar begins to raise and my elbows become slightly untucked and begin to flair outward but goes into lock out pretty smooth.
[/quote]

Could be reading this wrong, but do you let your elbows flair as much as they want on the lockout or do you still try to keep them tucked in somewhat? Cuz I would let those suckers flair to their hearts’ content after the bar starts its ascent.

I feel like for someone who can press like you do, you’ll be well over 300 on bench in no time if you so desire.

Thanks very one. Hope you are correct benching 300 anytime in the near future would be appealing to me.