Ravenous Hunger

[quote]elusive wrote:
Magicpunch wrote:
I too get hungry after playing pacman. That yellow thing is an inspiration to all looking to bulk.

LOL.[/quote]

You know you were itching to say it too.

Yes I have this on occasion, my thoughts are that your metabolism is working like clockwork. It would appear you are eating and training properly, so you just need to keep feeding the machine. A few things you might want to try which have helped me. Eat your protein first, because it requires an acidic medium to digest, and it also releases CCK which helps to initiate your “feeling full” mechanism.

Then eat your fibrous veggies, the fiber will aid in you feeling full also. By this time, you should be somewhat content, and this is good if you are eating your carbs because it will reduce the chance of you eating too many since you should start to feel somewhat full by now. I won’t say its a full proof method but it helps a little. Good job for eating clean, I think your body burns clean foods faster and more efficiently, but thats just my opinion.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Yes I have this on occasion, my thoughts are that your metabolism is working like clockwork. It would appear you are eating and training properly, so you just need to keep feeding the machine. A few things you might want to try which have helped me. Eat your protein first, because it requires an acidic medium to digest, and it also releases CCK which helps to initiate your “feeling full” mechanism.

Then eat your fibrous veggies, the fiber will aid in you feeling full also. By this time, you should be somewhat content, and this is good if you are eating your carbs because it will reduce the chance of you eating too many since you should start to feel somewhat full by now. I won’t say its a full proof method but it helps a little. Good job for eating clean, I think your body burns clean foods faster and more efficiently, but thats just my opinion. [/quote]

cool thanks, will do.

But what are vegetables? :wink:

yeah I don’t even have to look at a clock sometimes to know 2 hours have gone by. Cause by then I feel a hunger, wait a half hour or hour more and I feel like I’m literally starving. I sometimes have what looks like a feast infront of me at lunchtime. coworkers just look at me like wtf is wrong with you?

I’m sitting here now, I ate 2 hours ago, i’m ravenous! Plus I just got a Whey sample through, which i’ve mixed up into my new blender bottle and the chocolate smell in the air is making me want to eat my hands off.

I’m not trying to steal anyone else’s thunder here, but I don’t think most of you have a good grasp of what hungry really means.

I assume MOST of you were all grown up quite skinny - well I was opposite. I was obscenely obese. I use to eat every half an hour - to an hour. We’re not talking snacks, but full meals. Having a bowl of ravioli right when I got home from school. Then half an hour later having a box of macaroni and cheese. Then an hour later eating four pieces of toast with sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Then half an hour later eating a bag of chips, etc. I’m really not exaggerating here.

That being said, I envy most of you. Do you know how much it sucks ass to NEVER be full? Ever?

Years and years of chronic over-eating has led me to always having a ravenous appetite. I wish I could say I only got hungry every two hours, but I’m hungry after I eat my meals.

Just showing you guys a problem from the OPPOSITE side for a moment…

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
plateau wrote:
Used to get so bad my stomach would get very acidic and I’d feel lightheaded until I got some food in me.

That’s exactly what I notice, it’s almost like bad heartburn or something, strange way for the body to ring the dinner bell.[/quote]

Cool I’m not a freak… maybe.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I’m not trying to steal anyone else’s thunder here, but I don’t think most of you have a good grasp of what hungry really means.

I assume MOST of you were all grown up quite skinny - well I was opposite. I was obscenely obese. I use to eat every half an hour - to an hour. We’re not talking snacks, but full meals. Having a bowl of ravioli right when I got home from school. Then half an hour later having a box of macaroni and cheese. Then an hour later eating four pieces of toast with sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Then half an hour later eating a bag of chips, etc. I’m really not exaggerating here.

That being said, I envy most of you. Do you know how much it sucks ass to NEVER be full? Ever?

Years and years of chronic over-eating has led me to always having a ravenous appetite. I wish I could say I only got hungry every two hours, but I’m hungry after I eat my meals.

Just showing you guys a problem from the OPPOSITE side for a moment…[/quote]

You should just line up like 50 steaks, some salad, and then go to town.

lol jk. I never even think about it from your side of the fence. I think that’s also a gift in disguise though, you should just destroy yourself in them gym 7 days a week and take advantage of that hunger.

It would be interesting to see what would happen.

Maybe this is a good place to ask: What is the relationship between hunger and metabolism or is hunger more of a factor of hormones and blood sugar levels? If I feeling hungry, do I actually need food? SSC’s post would suggest otherwise.

I (think) I understand the relationship between blood sugar and satiety and I assume that my low-gi, generally low carb diet makes it harder to feel full (at least not for 20 or more minutes) but how does hunger and metabolism if at all fit into this picture?

Also, how do you deal with satiety? I find for the first half hour or so after a meal and STILL hungry and raiding the fridge again and again. But if I ignore it and just wait out the half hour I find I am fine.

But those 20-30 minutes are pretty tough! Especially at lunch at work where we have a wide array of cakes, pies and pastries available. Vinegar on my salad seems to help this a bit but I seem to have gotten used to that and finding it hard again.

Well if you have a faster metabolism you will burn calories faster and thus need more food to fuel your body, so you will be hungry more often.

Btw low-GI carbs should keep you full longer than high ones, so you’re weird. :wink:

Drinking a lot of water helps with satiety as well.

SSC wrote:

Just showing you guys a problem from the OPPOSITE side for a moment…

You should just line up like 50 steaks, some salad, and then go to town.

lol jk. I never even think about it from your side of the fence. I think that’s also a gift in disguise though, you should just destroy yourself in them gym 7 days a week and take advantage of that hunger.

It would be interesting to see what would happen.
[/quote]

Damn, I would consider that. Maybe down the line a bit… after I got a little more meat on me so my body would be better equipped to take it, haha. I’d probably only do that if I was using, but that’s probably not going to be anytime in the near future.

Shame. :frowning:

Unless I’ve planned properly with tupperware, the biggest problem with that ravenous hunger is that it turns me into an real asshole basically every three hours…

Leptin and Ghrelin play a part in this, too.

I’m normally a fat ass and when I deviate to levels of low bodyfat, my appetite is OUT OF CONTROL, which makes it very fucking hard to maintain any semblance of leanness unless I am active all the damn time.

I remember one time I was sitting down for a meal and I was in the condition that I am in my avatar, and I was trying to fill myself up with vegetables and meat. I sat down and ate:

a measured 2lbs of steamed broccoli
1lb of chicken
1lb bag of radishes
2 large cucumbers

I ate all of this and really wasn’t phased at all.

Goddamnit that sucks…

EDIT: there were also copious amounts of olive oil in that meal, too.

For me, it seems that the more I eat, the more I want to eat. When I was dieting down, I was completely satiated at 2400 cals. Now that I am adding cals gradually to eat for size, I am hungry almost all day, though I am consuming around 3400 cals. Granted, my training capacity has noticibly increased, but not 1000 cals per day worth.

Well if you have a faster metabolism you will burn calories faster and thus need more food to fuel your body, so you will be hungry more often.

Btw low-GI carbs should keep you full longer than high ones, so you’re weird. :wink:

Drinking a lot of water helps with satiety as well.

[/quote]

They should keep you full longer, but wouldn’t they also take longer to make you feel full?

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Leptin and Ghrelin play a part in this, too.
[/quote]

That’s kind of what I was wondering. Basically, what is going on physiologically when experiencing hunger. I googled leptin and ghrelin and have some reading to do :slight_smile:

[quote]
I’m normally a fat ass and when I deviate to levels of low bodyfat, my appetite is OUT OF CONTROL, which makes it very fucking hard to maintain any semblance of leanness unless I am active all the damn time.

I remember one time I was sitting down for a meal and I was in the condition that I am in my avatar, and I was trying to fill myself up with vegetables and meat. I sat down and ate:

a measured 2lbs of steamed broccoli
1lb of chicken
1lb bag of radishes
2 large cucumbers

I ate all of this and really wasn’t phased at all.

Goddamnit that sucks…

EDIT: there were also copious amounts of olive oil in that meal, too.[/quote]

I’m finding that too and I think it may just be that my body is not going to be happy with my body fat where it is.

A problem with this too is that people don’t seem to understand or aren’t very sympathetic that I MUST eat. I cannot wait another half hour or I’m in pain. And very bitchy! That or they get miffed when they have a catered lunch meeting and I bring my own extra food to supplement. Half of a wrap and some veggies and dip will not do!