T Nation

Ravenous Hunger

Does anyone else here experience ravenous hunger every 2 hours, pretty much on the dot, no matter what your last meal was? It’s getting pretty ridiculous. I can eat until bursting, till I’m red in the face and sweating and once 2 hours goes by I get insanely hungry again. I am not complaining, seeing as it has helped me reach my goals thus far, but what causes this phenomenon?

Have I, over time, trained my body to be hungry every two hours, have I created my own eating clock? I just find it fascinating that this occurs 24/7.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes to everything what you said.
I’m trying to figure out what else can I eat right now since that casein shake just tickled my belly

Thats how i was while on epistane but it is going away which sucks because i loved stuffing my face.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Does anyone else here experience ravenous hunger every 2 hours, pretty much on the dot, no matter what your last meal was? It’s getting pretty ridiculous. I can eat until bursting, till I’m red in the face and sweating and once 2 hours goes by I get insanely hungry again. I am not complaining, seeing as it has helped me reach my goals thus far, but what causes this phenomenon?

Have I, over time, trained my body to be hungry every two hours, have I created my own eating clock? I just find it fascinating that this occurs 24/7.

Anyone else notice this?[/quote]

Yeah. When I was eating for size, like clock work, I would go starving no matter how large the last meal was. I too believe that its something thats “taught” to the body.

If you adapt a certain eating pattern, you’re body expects food at specific times of the day. This is not theory, but fact. It’s complicated and deals with the hormone ghrelin, and you should pubmed some articles if you are really want to know.

I should also state that if you change your eating behavior, after around 2 days of uncomfortable dieting, you won’t have this problem anymore.

Try the gallon challenge

A few weeks back I ate a steak dinner with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and delicious, oh so delicious rolls. Played some arcade games and what not at the bowling alley and after an hour and a half I was already hungry again. Really? Playing some simple arcade games worked up that much of an appetite I couldn’t believe it. It’s probably got a lot to do with training your mind to think it’s hungry every two hours from all the times you’ve likely forced yourself to eat.

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
Try the gallon challenge[/quote]

I’ve done it with whole milk before without even noticing, was watching family guy, sat down with a gallon of whole milk and at the end of the show I noticed I had about 1/3 left. Took me like 10 minutes to finish it off. It’s easy when you’re a bigger fella and are used to eating all the damn time.

I bet Prof X, CC, and Tribunal could do it in 15 minutes lol

[quote]hexx wrote:
If you adapt a certain eating pattern, you’re body expects food at specific times of the day. This is not theory, but fact. It’s complicated and deals with the hormone ghrelin, and you should pubmed some articles if you are really want to know.

I should also state that if you change your eating behavior, after around 2 days of uncomfortable dieting, you won’t have this problem anymore. [/quote]

cool info thanks.

I am not trying to get bigger at all! But I go from full to starving in minutes. It is a real challenge when I try to cut back.

It drives my co-workers nuts because I’m always eating.

If I eat a massive greasy breakfast with bacon, eggs, pancakes etc., that is the only way I’m satiated for more than a couple of hours in the morning.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I am not trying to get bigger at all! But I go from full to starving in minutes. It is a real challenge when I try to cut back.

If I eat a massive greasy breakfast with bacon, eggs, pancakes etc., that is the only way I’m satiated for more than a couple of hours in the morning.[/quote]

hmmm I think pics are necessary to put your mind at ease that you are in fact not getting any bigger, feel free to share them also.

lol But yah, I can’t imagine dieting at this point, I will be using an appetite suppressant when I eventually do.

It’s the pattens. I’m not big, I’m not on anything, but my body got used to me eating all those small meals and just expects it now.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
debraD wrote:

If I eat a massive greasy breakfast with bacon, eggs, pancakes etc., that is the only way I’m satiated for more than a couple of hours in the morning.

hmmm I think pics are necessary to put your mind at ease that you are in fact not getting any bigger, feel free to share them also.

lol But yah, I can’t imagine dieting at this point, I will be using an appetite suppressant when I eventually do.[/quote]

Haha! I think there are more than enough pics of me around :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly don’t think I could ever diet down like competing bodybuilders and figure athletes do. I just cannot take the pain of hunger and I’m barely able to keep my calories at 3000ish. I was shocked to see what Amit’s diet was in the BB forum. Incredible.

Same problem I have. I’m trying to lean down from about 20% BF to 12-15%. I think maybe my body’s just so used to eating a TON back when I went from 170 to 210. I can stuff myself until I’m ready to explode and be hungry an hour later. Sometimes in the evening, I just can’t get full.

I’m going to try what someone said–that your body gets accustomed to dietary changes after 2 or 3 days and just tough it out.

yeah, i have the same problem, particurly after training, i will go thru huge amounts of food for someone my size

I’ve been experiencing that for the past few days. I decided to start eating more because I was always exhausted and kinda hungry throughout the day and I knew I really wasn’t eating enough to gain the kind of size I want. I figured if I was only a little hungry between meals when I was eating three or four moderately sized meals a day, I’d just be pretty much snacking throughout the day. Not even close. I’m eating around seven moderately sized meals a day and I get hungry for them.

It feels so good, though. I’ve been so used to not eating enough and just feeling like all the energy is leaking out of me all day, but I feel like I’ve got the juice to go now! Really excited to see what kind of gains I make in the gym with all this extra fuel.

Not so bad now, eat a lot less carbs than in the past - perhaps an insulin dropping issue or perhaps body was used to eating like clockwork.

Used to get so bad my stomach would get very acidic and I’d feel lightheaded until I got some food in me.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Used to get so bad my stomach would get very acidic and I’d feel lightheaded until I got some food in me.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I notice, it’s almost like bad heartburn or something, strange way for the body to ring the dinner bell.

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
A few weeks back I ate a steak dinner with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and delicious, oh so delicious rolls. Played some arcade games and what not at the bowling alley and after an hour and a half I was already hungry again. Really? Playing some simple arcade games worked up that much of an appetite I couldn’t believe it. It’s probably got a lot to do with training your mind to think it’s hungry every two hours from all the times you’ve likely forced yourself to eat.[/quote]

I too get hungry after playing pacman. That yellow thing is an inspiration to all looking to bulk.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
I too get hungry after playing pacman. That yellow thing is an inspiration to all looking to bulk.[/quote]

LOL.