T Nation

Ratted Out At Work

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Bert wrote:
I joined this site a while ago but this is the first time im replying to a persons post, that isnt workout related. Your a Teacher, what you have to be there by 8:00 or 9:00 am and your done at around 3:00 or 3:30. and you cant be on time for work?

Thank god I work in a professional enviroment ( you belong to a union, your not a professional) where we are expected to be adults and have our work finished not matter how long it takes, I would just love to take a teacher to work with me for a week and let them see what work is like without a union, meeting deadlines, working 10 to 12 hours a day to get something done that has to be out the next day, working through lunch and dinner.

You complain that your superior is ratting you out? is it her fault she puts in more hours then what her contract says and she busts her ass? nope. I guess its true “those who can do, those you screwed around in university and had fun and didnt know what they wanted to do, and ended up with some degree, and decided to go to teachers college so they could get summers off and work 200 days a year…teach”

Read the post, it was a co-worker not a superior. As for this person putting in more hours than the other in a job where most of your work and planning is done at home(my wife is a teacher), who gives a shit. All that tells me is that this person has no life, is not married or engaged and doesnt care how much time they spend away from home. You sound bitter about teachers only working 180 days a year and having summers off.[/quote]

Oh and additionally you infer that i have no life, am not married or engaged, and do not care how much time i spend away from home…well allow me to retort…I am engaged to a beautiful woman, train 5 days a week, spend time with close friends, travel, work at a firm where being DRIVEN to succeed is considered an asset.

I do these things to provide for my future, be a responsible adult, hopefully succeed to a point where when i am 40, i am (26), I can have reached a point in my professional life where I will be able to spend time with my future children, provide them with a high quality of life, ensure they learn the value of a education, be able to provide the resources for them to go as far as they can with whatever they choose. I would sink down to your level and make many inferences about what your life is like, yet I do not know you. So for me to do something like that would be unfair and irresponsible.

[quote]Bert wrote:
I joined this site a while ago but this is the first time im replying to a persons post, that isnt workout related. Your a Teacher, what you have to be there by 8:00 or 9:00 am and your done at around 3:00 or 3:30. and you cant be on time for work?

Thank god I work in a professional enviroment ( you belong to a union, your not a professional) where we are expected to be adults and have our work finished not matter how long it takes, I would just love to take a teacher to work with me for a week and let them see what work is like without a union, meeting deadlines, working 10 to 12 hours a day to get something done that has to be out the next day, working through lunch and dinner.

You complain that your superior is ratting you out? is it her fault she puts in more hours then what her contract says and she busts her ass? nope. I guess its true “those who can do, those you screwed around in university and had fun and didnt know what they wanted to do, and ended up with some degree, and decided to go to teachers college so they could get summers off and work 200 days a year…teach”[/quote]

My wife is a teacher. Maybe you should go back to replying to workout related posts.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
Bert wrote:

You complain that your superior is ratting you out? is it her fault she puts in more hours then what her contract says and she busts her ass? nope. I guess its true “those who can do, those you screwed around in university and had fun and didnt know what they wanted to do, and ended up with some degree, and decided to go to teachers college so they could get summers off and work 200 days a year…teach”

My wife is a teacher. Maybe you should go back to replying to workout related posts.

|/ 3Toes

[/quote]

Congratulations to you and your wife, I assume that she is hard working and does a good job. Also my father, fiance, and sister are also teachers.

As a student, I wouldnt have any respect for a teacher that shows up late, unless they have a good excuse. Especially if its happened more than once.

I say take the bitch out. Plant some methamphetamine in her desk and call the cops. Set fire to a trash can and say she did it. Take from Scientology, write letters to the school from a fake human rights organization claiming that she is anti-semetic. Then throw her ass in the closet and stuff an enormous dowel rod up her ass. I think that she would enjoy it.

You need to own this slut and make her know that you don’t take shit.

[quote]Bert wrote:
Envy[/quote]

Teachers work more than what you imagine. They have homework, sometimes 3 hours per a night, preparing for the next class or grading papers from the last one. Especially new teachers, who have yet to form lesson plans and have had less practice performing them.

See, that’s the other rub, teachers spend some of the day in performance (lectures). Most pure performance artists, such as those on stage, have about 2 to 3 hour workdays, for obvious reasons. Split across the day, a teacher may lecture with the same intensity x duration as a stage artist.

Then throw in the fact that they deal pretty much exclusively with an immature audience, have to met state and federal criteria for both their performance and for their own continuing education, often are involved in extra-curricular activites for the students (sports, intellectual competitions, fundraisers, dances and festivals)… You’d see that its not the gravy job you imagine.

And if its so easy to be a teacher, and so easy to get a teching certificate, then why don’t you do it yourself? Maybe there would be a pay cut?

All that said, “The grass is always greener on the other side”. Recognize.

btw: I know a few elementary and secondary education teachers.

and to OP: You fucked up. I hope you won’t lose the job though. Try setting your alarm an hour earlier than necessary. Then have a second alarm go off at the time you must absolutely get up. That’s a method I’d read in an article written by a sleep researcher, and it’s helped me as well.

As other reasonable posters have said, be a man about it and fix YOUR problems. If you need to be there for 8:30, then schedule yourself to get there for 8:00 if you have to – and fucking stick to it.

Understand that your slack ass casual approach to the job you have is going to piss other people off. While using the term “ratted on” may make it seem like a bad thing was done, perhaps it is important to make sure your lazy ass is not given tenure!

Adopt a new mantra. Be the person who “gets shit done”. Be someone that others can rely on. Being unorganized and late in your profession or vocation is a huge red flag.

Grow up and accept some responsibility for your life and career.

[quote]Bert wrote:

You complain that your superior is ratting you out? is it her fault she puts in more hours then what her contract says and she busts her ass? nope. I guess its true “those who can do, those you screwed around in university and had fun and didnt know what they wanted to do, and ended up with some degree, and decided to go to teachers college so they could get summers off and work 200 days a year…teach”[/quote]

By the way Bert, having been on both sides of the coin (regular job and now a teacher), I can tell you that good teachers work just as much and has hard as you for less money (Search for pay with a Master’s Degree on the outside world and then teaching, and you’ll see the difference). Most of us made a conscious decision about the money part, so that means shit, however, any good teacher winds up putting in 2-3 hours of “their own time” towards setting up the room, lessons, grading tests, etc, not to mention the extra courses we are required by law to take and pay for as “professional development”.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
I agree, don’t be late anymore.

Another tip from a friend of mine, to deal with difficult people, his complete philosophy, which has brought him much career success, is to “Smile and Nod”.

Remember, “Smile and Nod”…[/quote]

True. There is not a damn thing you can do about these types but just wait. They usually reveal just how flaky they really are. Then the people they have been working to impress, are somewhat shocked.

I HATE working with those types.

It must get awful lonely up there on your pedestal

You are pissed off cause someone called you on your bullshit behavior of being late. Don’t freaking be late man. What is difficult about that, especailly if its causing you problems? Just be on time…buy an alarm clock if you don’t already have one and if you do have one use it. You are to set the example for students as well and whether we like it or not, other people at work do tend to butt their noses into things like this, especailly if they are on time themselves consistently; they probably are thinking “If I have to be on time and can be on time, why can’t he?”.

And, that may be a legit point. So, be on time. That is how you get this busy body off your back. This way you won’t be worrying about losing your job or having to meet with your administration for corrective action which may be termination.

MB

almost anybody who is in control of their enviroment is going to spend a few hours here and there setting it up. i am not a teacher and i constantly spend “my own” time in my office. thats part of being the boss. if i want things to run smoothly it may require more than my 8 hours to make sure that it does. if you don’t want to spend any “extra” time at your job, you better learn how to say “you wants fries with that”?

I agree with most of the other posters. Your tardiness is the cause of your problem, not a co-worker ratting you out. Yeah, it sucks to be tattled on, but if you had been following the rules that all of the teachers are supposed to uphold, how can you blame someone who points this out to a superior?

Work on being on time.

DB

[quote]Sonny S wrote:

This morning she went to the union reps, complained, and now she and the reps are talking to the principal before class starts (I'm a teacher). The principal does like me I should add.

-Sonny S [/quote]

I don’t quite get this. If she went to the union reps, then she’s not quite a rat. Sure, she should have kept her mouth shut, it’s none of her fucken business anyways… but, when a union member has a problem, they don’t feel they can deal with personally, they GO to the union reps. Now, my question is, why the fuck did the union reps take this to management. Your union reps suck shit, and should be replaced. They have no fucken business dealing with a union problem, with management.

If she, personally went to management, then she’s a bona fide rat, and any punishment you should choose to inflict on her, is justified, regardless of anything you did wrong.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I say take the bitch out. Plant some methamphetamine in her desk and call the cops. Set fire to a trash can and say she did it. Take from Scientology, write letters to the school from a fake human rights organization claiming that she is anti-semetic. Then throw her ass in the closet and stuff an enormous dowel rod up her ass. I think that she would enjoy it.

You need to own this slut and make her know that you don’t take shit.[/quote]

Can I hear an amen?

Its real simple.

If she was one of your peers AND
your being late did not affect the rest of the team, then yes you can have an issue with her.

Sometime those what we call “rats” have too much time on thier hands and instead of doing their own work, only sit around collecting stuff to snitch on other people about. Its true.

And a true rat actually recieve a pleasure from the ratting in itself. So you kinda are “bent over” if you are being folded under the pressures of a rat…

The real issue is, if this is a job where promotions are in order. Say that you were always a steller performer, mr or mrs rat snitch on the small detail which has never affected your performance or getting the work done, now mr boss is watching you and make it harder for you to work. The rat also while might not be doing work, get an automatic boost from helping the boss out…

I guess decide if you like being “bent over” or not and do something about it, or accept it and stay “bent over”.

[quote]Bert wrote:

[/quote]

WTF does not being in a union have to do w/ being a “professional”???

I’m a Union Laborer and I have found FEW who work as hard as we do both physically and mentally. I work w/ many different Unionized trades on a daily basis as well as “profesionals”, as you call them. I’d rather work w/ my Union brothers and sisters than any of the backstabbing, two-faced, multiple degree having, narcicistic, holier-than-thow, pompous JACKASSES that are so called “professionals” who also work at my jobsite. These same “professionals” CONSTANTLY make everything more difficult than it needs to be, kiss ass to keep their jobs, and often “gum up” the works to justify their title/position instead of just letting us work. These same “professionals” have also been involved in nearly KILLING myself and other “nonprofessionals” because they are incompetant and lazy.

Don’t get me wrong, there are TRUE professionals in every occupation, MINE INCLUDED. Most of my friends are lawyers, insurance executives, accountants, etc…and THEY ARE true professionals because they handle themselves properly.

FYI…my mother has been teaching for 40 years and I would NEVER want her job. I’d probably kill most of the kids that she does her best to teach…and their parents as well for raising such imbeciles.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Bert wrote:
Envy

Teachers work more than what you imagine. They have homework, sometimes 3 hours per a night, preparing for the next class or grading papers from the last one. Especially new teachers, who have yet to form lesson plans and have had less practice performing them.

So, if i use your math a teach "teaches without a break from 9:00am through 3:30 which equals 6.5 hours of teaching without a break correct? yes and then on top of it they may also do a astonishing amount of 3 hours at home planning. for 9.5 hours a day. WOW thats what most professionals work everyday! yet i forgot to add in there lunch, spare period off, recess if elementary aged, and perhaps they dont do 3 hours of work everynight. so maybe they dont work 9.5 everyday, but i may be wrong. Also as a teacher becomes familiar with lesson plans and the cirriculum they develop lessons to follow throughout there career to reduce prep time.

See, that’s the other rub, teachers spend some of the day in performance (lectures). Most pure performance artists, such as those on stage, have about 2 to 3 hour workdays, for obvious reasons. Split across the day, a teacher may lecture with the same intensity x duration as a stage artist.

Every teacher teaches with the level of enthusiasm and lecture with as much conviciton and passion as pavarotti? somehow I find that difficult to fathom, I dont really think you believe or are serious about comparing teaching a class of 20 some kids or teenagers to be the same as training for your whole life and performing for millions the same.

Then throw in the fact that they deal pretty much exclusively with an immature audience, have to met state and federal criteria for both their performance and for their own continuing education, often are involved in extra-curricular activites for the students (sports, intellectual competitions, fundraisers, dances and festivals)… You’d see that its not the gravy job you imagine.

I agree with having to deal with a immature audience, yet i remember the best teachers never really cared about the slackers and losers and taught they people who were there to learn.

As for you topic of meeting state and federal criteria, there are sanctioning bodies that require professionals in every field to constantly learn and meet requirements, most professionals must pass a exam or some required combination of work experience plus application of that in a exam type setting. Along with continuing education with most professions to keep your designation, I think teachers are being treated fairly. Also as for extra curricular activities almost every company/corporation/firm does charitable activities to promote corporate responsibility.

And if its so easy to be a teacher, and so easy to get a teching certificate, then why don’t you do it yourself? Maybe there would be a pay cut?

Yes it is relatively easy to get a teaching certificate, with the course work and required work experience that must be completed it is rather easy. As for why i would not want to be a teacher, for the same reason i would never work for a union, i want to be judged on my performance, my work, not subject to rules and seniority that would hamper a productive person from advancing beyond someone who does not work as hard or perform as well. As for a pay cut, yes there would be a pay cut, not going to question that fact. But teachers are paid fairly, and in some instances over paid.

All that said, “The grass is always greener on the other side”. Recognize.[/quote]

as for this last part, i dont even know what “Recognize” means. does it mean i should “recognize” that there are teachers that work hard, i agree some do, Some teachers make a huge difference in students lives, some teachers deserve to be “recognized” for these accomplishments. If there is another meaning for “Recognize” i dont know what it is.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Bert wrote:

It must get awful lonely up there on your pedestal[/quote]

No, actually i have a tonne of people who would agree with me, but i am still not saying some teachers arent great at their job and take it serious, in this particular case and with this particular person who is compliaing about getting in trouble for being late, should not complain and arrive at work at his union negiotiated time.

[quote]Bert wrote:

Thank god I work in a professional enviroment ( you belong to a union, your not a professional)

[/quote]

It’s YOU’RE, not YOUR… Mr. Professional

[quote]slimjim wrote:

It must get awful lonely up there on your pedestal[/quote]

There’s always the guy on the grassy knoll.

|/ 3Toes