Rating Members on BB Advice

[quote]inthego wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
inthego wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
still, some idiots seem adamant about their theories, despite lack of any real reasoning (Or decent physique) to back up their claims.
S

Bodybuilding generally is a weird sort of endeavor…
Most top football coaches look like shit physically but know the game to a T.

But if some one has a so-so body or a bad one it must mean that they are clueless when it come to building muscle or strength…

Any way as for advice on this site (or any other)… hit and miss…

Either way you take your chances; the blue pill or the red one.

While I do agree that there are some ‘experts’ who can talk the talk while looking like crap,… why would anyone believe the ideas of someone who professes to know so much about building a brilliant physique, yet also claims that they CHOOSE to look like crap despite all of their knowledge?! This is why there’s a backlash on here against the recent rash of people who write about how they don’t want to look muscular, because let’s face it, if you could look like a superhero (not a frekish roided up one, but you know what I mean), who wouldn’t? :slight_smile:

S

I agree with you Stu,
I was just bringing up that old “book by it’s cover” thing…

I know a few financial advisers who’s personal portfolio is crap but to there clients they are golden and have served them well.

Or the car mechanic who’s car barely runs but make yours roar with power…

Just weird observation…

[/quote]

Rare examples… and they are eclipsed by the fact that there is no need to follow people who simply have not produced any results in their own life.

There is no reason anyone can give me for why someone should listen to some guy who looks like he’s never seen a weight UNLESS he has trained several other people and they DO look impressive as far as progress made.

The internet has made it all too easy for people who have done little to nothing to make it seem as if that doesn’t matter.

If the only advice someone is giving is coming from shit they just read and no real world experience, it would do all of us a favor if they would QUIT giving advice.

Since we’re on the topic of rating members…why is Der Candy in T-Cell Alpha…didn’t he rant once about following Waterbury and failing completely. I don’t mean to pick on the guy, but I just don’t understand what the standards are for get in there.

I should start mixing in hilariously bad advice with the good advice, just to keep everyone on their toes.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Since we’re on the topic of rating members…why is Der Candy in T-Cell Alpha…didn’t he rant once about following Waterbury and failing completely. I don’t mean to pick on the guy, but I just don’t understand what the standards are for get in there.[/quote]

It seems that the biggest qualification (I should say requirement because qualified is subjective) is knowing somebody that’s already in. In one of the first threads discussed DER CANDY was brought up and there was a little backlash from a few.

But the members (as a group) aren’t “voting” people in. If you’re in, you can make anyone you want a member, without the group’s consent. This is not to say that most there shouldn’t be there. But if your not on the collective radar, you may be qualified, but not invited to join.

cueball

[quote]conorh wrote:
I should start mixing in hilariously bad advice with the good advice, just to keep everyone on their toes.[/quote]

you were doing that before weren’t you… i thought… never mind.

j/k :wink:

[quote]cueball wrote:
Digity wrote:
Since we’re on the topic of rating members…why is Der Candy in T-Cell Alpha…didn’t he rant once about following Waterbury and failing completely. I don’t mean to pick on the guy, but I just don’t understand what the standards are for get in there.

It seems that the biggest qualification (I should say requirement because qualified is subjective) is knowing somebody that’s already in. In one of the first threads discussed DER CANDY was brought up and there was a little backlash from a few.

But the members (as a group) aren’t “voting” people in. If you’re in, you can make anyone you want a member, without the group’s consent. This is not to say that most there shouldn’t be there. But if your not on the collective radar, you may be qualified, but not invited to join.

cueball[/quote]

That’s somewhat true. But, everyone who gets the chance to post in the T-Cell is accountable for their words, and if they start posting irrelevant crap, or bad advice, or knocking BB’ing, etc… then I don’t think they’ll stay long. Just wait until the “voting people off” system takes affect and I’m sure you won’t see many people posting nonsense in that forum.

Also remember that the forum is fairly new. You are likely to see the membership grow with time. If someone is indeed qualified to post in that forum, then they will most likely be added sooner or later.

What a God awful idea - giving people the ability to rate members based on their advice.

It seems like posters would use it more negatively than positively - primarily on whether or not they have a grudge against a particular poster.

Seriously, if you stay on this site for more than a week, you will quickly get a feel for who’s worth listening to, and who isn’t.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Rare examples… and they are eclipsed by the fact that there is no need to follow people who simply have not produced any results in their own life.

There is no reason anyone can give me for why someone should listen to some guy who looks like he’s never seen a weight UNLESS he has trained several other people and they DO look impressive as far as progress made.

The internet has made it all too easy for people who have done little to nothing to make it seem as if that doesn’t matter.

If the only advice someone is giving is coming from shit they just read and no real world experience, it would do all of us a favor if they would QUIT giving advice.[/quote]

Rare?

I wish. I was trying to get others to think of the old do as I say and not as I do kind of thing…

The list is vast with child psychologist with bad behaving kid to Medical doctors that smoke (surgeons are the worst for some reason).

I only wish to point out truth in training is truth…
If it works it works regardless from where the advice came from…

did you ever see Dr. Scott Connelly the inventer of Met-Rx is not what I would call a bodybuilding beast but when he talks about building muscle most would be wise to listen…

Just a think on it thing…

[quote]inthego wrote:
<<< Rare?

I wish. I was trying to get others to think of the old do as I say and not as I do kind of thing…

The list is vast with child psychologist with bad behaving kid to Medical doctors that smoke (surgeons are the worst for some reason).

did you ever see Dr. Scott Connelly the inventer of Met-Rx is not what I would call a bodybuilding beast but when he talks about building muscle most would be wise to listen…

Just a think on it thing…[/quote]

Your general point is well taken. I use the case of Scotty Bowman who never had a big league hockey career, but owns every single major NHL coaching record there is. However the examples you cite above just may have professional expertise beyond reading somebody else’s work. I’m betting nobody gets hired to coach an NHL team because they read Scotty Bowman’s book. Also Professor X did say that success with others is still success. Success in reading isn’t the same thing.

[quote]inthego wrote:
Professor X wrote:

If the only advice someone is giving is coming from shit they just read and no real world experience, it would do all of us a favor if they would QUIT giving advice.

Rare?

Just a think on it thing…[/quote]

Your examples are weak and your analogies don’t add up. Whether your surgeon smokes or not, he has TREATED enough human bodies to know what he is talking about. Some fat assed couch potato who has read something from some other personal trainer but has never achieved anything with his own physique does NOT fall into the same category.

I wrote:

…and that still holds true, even for your psychologist example considering he has also TREATED enough patients to know what he is talking about.

The key here is real world experience.

You make it seem like someone should have surgery done by a first year Biology major if they have read a lot about surgeries.

I’m not even picking on you, I am just showing you how what you wrote makes no sense.

It seems like this argument (does a guy/girl need to be big or walk the talk to give good advice? Or some variation of that) every week or so. Search the forums you’ll find plenty of threads that debate the issue ad nauseam.

That doesn’t mean they’re useless, I’ve been involved in them before and they’ve definately affected my views on the subject. Just noting that we’ve been here before.

inthego wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Rare?

Just a think on it thing…

Your examples are weak and your analogies don’t add up. Whether your surgeon smokes or not, he has TREATED enough human bodies to know what he is talking about. Some fat assed couch potato who has read something from some other personal trainer but has never achieved anything with his own physique does NOT fall into the same category.

I wrote:
…and that still holds true, even for your psychologist example considering he has also TREATED enough patients to know what he is talking about.

The key here is real world experience.

You make it seem like someone should have surgery done by a first year Biology major if they have read a lot about surgeries.

I’m not even picking on you, I am just showing you how what you wrote makes no sense.[/quote]

ha ha
dude your right and I agree with you. My point was to only get the Discussion to a more underpinning of the question.

The question being that can you get something good from some one that does not look the part he or she is advising on,
or to put it crassly can you get a gold nugget from a turd nugget. Also who decides the difference between the two…

Your a thoughtful guy X no one will deny that, so thanks for keeping this thread on it’s toes…

Solid

Just to add…looks can be deceiving. I saw Berardi on a show here in Toronto and the guy DOES NOT look big at all. However, they showed some photos of him in his bodybuilding days where he was ripped! Therefore, even though he looks a lot smaller now you can’t really judge him on his looks alone. You’d have to understand his past to have a clear picture of his expertise.

Therefore, to say that some personal trainer at your gym is too small to know what he’s talking about isn’t a fair statement. If you pass these people off right away from the minute you see them then you might be missing out.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Just to add…looks can be deceiving. I saw Berardi on a show here in Toronto and the guy DOES NOT look big at all. However, they showed some photos of him in his bodybuilding days where he was ripped! Therefore, even though he looks a lot smaller now you can’t really judge him on his looks alone. You’d have to understand his past to have a clear picture of his expertise.

Therefore, to say that some personal trainer at your gym is too small to know what he’s talking about isn’t a fair statement. If you pass these people off right away from the minute you see them then you might be missing out.[/quote]

Dude, Berardi was obtaining his PHD and is an insanely busy guy. I’ll point out the fact that at 35, I’m not as big as I was at 30, but I’m still in damn good shape. I’m sure Berardi looks just as impressive despite not carrying as much mass as he once did.

S

[quote]Digity wrote:

Therefore, to say that some personal trainer at your gym is too small to know what he’s talking about isn’t a fair statement. If you pass these people off right away from the minute you see them then you might be missing out.[/quote]

Please. The chances of the out of shape guy who weighs all of 140lbs being a GREAT personal trainer who has trained several athletes and competitors is slim to none. Pointing out one or two exceptions does not mean we all need to be on the look out for people who show no personal results but know more than most.

Most people still retain a look to them even if they do drop weight later in life.

I was talking today to a 65 year old gentlemen who runs the supplement shop near my house. He isn’t that big anymore but it is CLEAR AS DAY that he is still in great shape (I don’t even need to write “for his age”).

There are very few people walking around who you just can not tell whether they have ever lifted a weight if they were ever once truly very muscular.

Obviously, this does NOT include those older guys who ALL claim they used to be 260lbs of all muscle and could bench 400lbs…once…even though they somehow only weigh 170 with a gut and no muscle mass at all.

We already have a rating for how much money you spend on Biotest Supplements. We already have a section of the forum that you shouldn’t be able to access if you don’t know what you’re talking about. I think everyone on the site is honest about their numbers in the gym, and they only put up incorrect bodyfat %'s because they’re guessing, not because they’re lying. Bad advice usually gets flamed or totally ignored.

I haven’t ever found myself saying “Oh fuck! I shouldn’t have listened to this random stranger on the internet who gave me training advice that sounded stupid!”

You gotta take EVERYTHING you see and read on the internet with a grain of salt. The forum isn’t a peer reviewed journal on training.

Digity wrote:

Therefore, to say that some personal trainer at your gym is too small to know what he’s talking about isn’t a fair statement. If you pass these people off right away from the minute you see them then you might be missing out.

Please. The chances of the out of shape guy who weighs all of 140lbs being a GREAT personal trainer who has trained several athletes and competitors is slim to none. Pointing out one or two exceptions does not mean we all need to be on the look out for people who show no personal results but know more than most.

Most people still retain a look to them even if they do drop weight later in life.

I was talking today to a 65 year old gentlemen who runs the supplement shop near my house. He isn’t that big anymore but it is CLEAR AS DAY that he is still in great shape (I don’t even need to write “for his age”).

There are very few people walking around who you just can not tell whether they have ever lifted a weight if they were ever once truly very muscular.

Obviously, this does NOT include those older guys who ALL claim they used to be 260lbs of all muscle and could bench 400lbs…once…even though they somehow only weigh 170 with a gut and no muscle mass at all.[/quote]

Whatever. I’m sure there’s tons of cases where people put on muscle and later let themselves go and got fat. The prime example is someone who worked out in high school and college…but then gets married, has kids and stops going to the gym. Next thing you know they’re fat asses. Even though, they were muscular at one time. That past experience gives them credibility despite their looks.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Digity wrote:

Obviously, this does NOT include those older guys who ALL claim they used to be 260lbs of all muscle and could bench 400lbs…once…even though they somehow only weigh 170 with a gut and no muscle mass at all.

Whatever. I’m sure there’s tons of cases where people put on muscle and later let themselves go and got fat. The prime example is someone who worked out in high school and college…but then gets married, has kids and stops going to the gym. Next thing you know they’re fat asses. Even though, they were muscular at one time. That past experience gives them credibility despite their looks.[/quote]

You just described 90% of the people in America who only did any physical activity in school because someone else instructed them to do so or it was directly related to whatever sport they were playing.

Those same guys quit training in the thousands and become couch potatoes faster than anyone else once the drive is no longer there and they graduate.

I would no more go to one of these people for advice on training than I would go to anyone else who can’t stay committed.

MOST PEOPLE did at least some physical activity in high school simply because they were in high school and there was gym class. You will see even more obese people in the future now that physical activity is being phased out of so many schools.

There is a HUGE GIGANTIC difference between someone who only worked out because a coach made them and someone who actually trained for physical improvement for years under their own determination.

Someone who would quit simply because they graduated is exactly who I would stay farthest away from.

Digity wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Someone who would quit simply because they graduated is exactly who I would stay farthest away from.[/quote]

Nice.

In the world of Iron there is no Graduation, only your next Plateau that needs to be passed…

Larry Scott said in an interview that he is amazed that he still is learning something new from training, each day.

Solid

Digity wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Digity wrote:

Whatever. I’m sure there’s tons of cases where people put on muscle and later let themselves go and got fat. The prime example is someone who worked out in high school and college…but then gets married, has kids and stops going to the gym. Next thing you know they’re fat asses. Even though, they were muscular at one time. That past experience gives them credibility despite their looks.

You just described 90% of the people in America who only did any physical activity in school because someone else instructed them to do so or it was directly related to whatever sport they were playing.

Those same guys quit training in the thousands and become couch potatoes faster than anyone else once the drive is no longer there and they graduate.

I would no more go to one of these people for advice on training than I would go to anyone else who can’t stay committed.

MOST PEOPLE did at least some physical activity in high school simply because they were in high school and there was gym class. You will see even more obese people in the future now that physical activity is being phased out of so many schools.

There is a HUGE GIGANTIC difference between someone who only worked out because a coach made them and someone who actually trained for physical improvement for years under their own determination.

Someone who would quit simply because they graduated is exactly who I would stay farthest away from.[/quote]

I was mostly thinking of the kind of advice I’ve looked for, which is primarily on how to start out. I spoke with my brother in law…who use to lift, but has since stopped. He gave me a lot of the same advice as people here on how to start off. That being said, I can see how in the long run he wouldn’t be useful and how I’d want to turn to someone more experienced.

I guess what I’m saying is it’s not all black and white…maybe we just need more developed/experienced people’s advice as we get further down the road. However, I would think that you could get advice from a wide spectrum along the way, but at some point you move on to someone better and so forth.