T Nation

Rating Members on BB Advice

I think there should be a way to rate forum members. That way, those who give shitty bodybuilding advice will be rated poorly and will be easier to avoid/question. Those who give good advice will be rated high and taken more seriously. Also, if someone has been on here and making zero progress then maybe they should get a bad rating too.

Maybe the system will be discouraging for some…however, others might be motivated by a shitty rating and want to improve it. Anyway, just a thought.

Well I HAVE heard some shitty advice here from time to time.

But what happens to the voting system when the shitty posters vote in a system designed to root out shitty posters?

Like the bodybuilding.com gayness ?
NO BLOODY THANKS
If you post shit advice, then you get flamed.
Good enough for me.

[quote]derek wrote:
Well I HAVE heard some shitty advice here from time to time.

But what happens to the voting system when the shitty posters vote in a system designed to root out shitty posters?[/quote]

Oh oh oh wait, I know the answer to this one

Rating has more to do with popularity than “helpful” advise.

Ha! I didn’t even know they rated members at bb.com. My bad.

I only brought it up, because I’ve just been noticing more complaints about bad advice…or about people who have shitty results, but give others advice on how to get big (Der Candy (or whatever his name is) comes to mind).

[quote]Digity wrote:
Ha! I didn’t even know they rated members at bb.com. My bad.

I only brought it up, because I’ve just been noticing more complaints about bad advice…or about people who have shitty results, but give others advice on how to get big (Der Candy (or whatever his name is) comes to mind).[/quote]

If someone honestly can’t tell, they either haven’t been here for long or are exceptionally clueless. If anyone still thinks Nominal Prospect is giving solid advice most of the time, they probably deserve what they get for believing him.

hahhaa!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Digity wrote:
Ha! I didn’t even know they rated members at bb.com. My bad.

I only brought it up, because I’ve just been noticing more complaints about bad advice…or about people who have shitty results, but give others advice on how to get big (Der Candy (or whatever his name is) comes to mind).

If someone honestly can’t tell, they either haven’t been here for long or are exceptionally clueless. If anyone still thinks Nominal Prospect is giving solid advice most of the time, they probably deserve what they get for believing him.[/quote]

His whole rant on adding inches to chest was stupid. :confused: I believe it was NP who said that.

People need to edumacate themselves and not rely on “advice” as much as engage in discussion. If you ask advice on a forum with out education, you are asking for it.

If you really, really have a question you should search articles by key words first and offer it up for discussion. There are 10 years of articles here that have been written by absolute experts in their fields. With that opportunity available, I cannot imagine why somebody wouldn’t look first rather than post “…need advice on getting arms bigger.”

There’s like 50 fucking articles written on that alone here. Why ask a anonymous forum?
I like the forum for discussion, but it seems more like an advice board, which is useless for me.

Lastly, poor results are a effect of poor execution rather than advice.

Most of the time, I notice people giving bad advice get jumped on by others… still, some idiots seem adamant about their theories, despite lack of any real reasoning (Or decent physique) to back up their claims.

I think most people on here can figure out who not to listen to.

S

As a general rule, the more technical sounding and the more people it quotes the less likely the advice is to be based on anything beyond what somebody read. As a general rule.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
As a general rule, the more technical sounding and the more people it quotes the less likely the advice is to be based on anything beyond what somebody read. As a general rule.

[/quote]

Some of the dumbest people I know use the biggest words.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
still, some idiots seem adamant about their theories, despite lack of any real reasoning (Or decent physique) to back up their claims.
S
[/quote]

Bodybuilding generally is a weird sort of endeavor…
Most top football coaches look like shit physically but know the game to a T.

But if some one has a so-so body or a bad one it must mean that they are clueless when it come to building muscle or strength…

Any way as for advice on this site (or any other)… hit and miss…

Either way you take your chances; the blue pill or the red one.

[quote]inthego wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
still, some idiots seem adamant about their theories, despite lack of any real reasoning (Or decent physique) to back up their claims.
S

Bodybuilding generally is a weird sort of endeavor…
Most top football coaches look like shit physically but know the game to a T.

But if some one has a so-so body or a bad one it must mean that they are clueless when it come to building muscle or strength…

Any way as for advice on this site (or any other)… hit and miss…

Either way you take your chances; the blue pill or the red one.

[/quote]

While I do agree that there are some ‘experts’ who can talk the talk while looking like crap,… why would anyone believe the ideas of someone who professes to know so much about building a brilliant physique, yet also claims that they CHOOSE to look like crap despite all of their knowledge?!

This is why there’s a backlash on here against the recent rash of people who write about how they don’t want to look muscular, because let’s face it, if you could look like a superhero (not a frekish roided up one, but you know what I mean), who wouldn’t? :slight_smile:

S

ESPECIALLY on a BB site!! lol! I think some people here forget sometimes it is a Bodybuilding site, not a sports specific site or a general fitness site.

Joe

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
As a general rule, the more technical sounding and the more people it quotes the less likely the advice is to be based on anything beyond what somebody read. As a general rule.

[/quote]

Good observation.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
inthego wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
still, some idiots seem adamant about their theories, despite lack of any real reasoning (Or decent physique) to back up their claims.
S

Bodybuilding generally is a weird sort of endeavor…
Most top football coaches look like shit physically but know the game to a T.

But if some one has a so-so body or a bad one it must mean that they are clueless when it come to building muscle or strength…

Any way as for advice on this site (or any other)… hit and miss…

Either way you take your chances; the blue pill or the red one.

While I do agree that there are some ‘experts’ who can talk the talk while looking like crap,… why would anyone believe the ideas of someone who professes to know so much about building a brilliant physique, yet also claims that they CHOOSE to look like crap despite all of their knowledge?! This is why there’s a backlash on here against the recent rash of people who write about how they don’t want to look muscular, because let’s face it, if you could look like a superhero (not a frekish roided up one, but you know what I mean), who wouldn’t? :slight_smile:

S
[/quote]

I agree with you Stu,
I was just bringing up that old “book by it’s cover” thing…

I know a few financial advisers who’s personal portfolio is crap but to there clients they are golden and have served them well.

Or the car mechanic who’s car barely runs but make yours roar with power…

Just weird observation…

yea dude we should start using this thing called common sense. so like, if someone says something dumb we just scan it with the common sense tool and then we can know if its retarded or not.

[quote]inthego wrote:

I agree with you Stu,
I was just bringing up that old “book by it’s cover” thing…

I know a few financial advisers who’s personal portfolio is crap but to there clients they are golden and have served them well.

Or the car mechanic who’s car barely runs but make yours roar with power…

Just weird observation…

[/quote]

I’d be more apt to listen to bodybuilding advice from a slob than the two examples you have there but I completely understand where you’re coming from and agree with your point.Because knowing all there is about building muscle is one thing. Having the guts, determination and discipline to put that knowledge to work is another entirely. One can easily exist without the other (at least in theory).

Having a crap financial portfolio is so much more of a travesty becuase all you’d have to do is copy your clients’ portfolios and that’s either done on-line or with phone calls, ie very easily (physically).

The mechanic thing I kinda get because in my old Jeep club we had the resident Jeep builder with the garage lined out with top-of-the-line tools etc. He built some SERIOUS Jeeps while his Jeep was forever in about 25 pieces behind the shop.

I have to believe if you get ultra-bad advice and follow it and suffer the consequences, you have no one to blame but they guy in the mirror. You have to think for yourself, think logically and research more than one POV then take what you can and put it all together for yourself.

Blindly following ANYONE’S advice is a recipe for failure. Failure to learn, failure to get optimal results, whatever.