T Nation

Rather Workout than be in a Relationship?

My girlfriend always complains about me working out and me having a strong interest in fitness. Anybody ever been in the same boat? It's my hobby and while I spend time with her everyday for a couple of hours at the very least, but she still complains.

I'm ready to end things so I can workout in peace without someone feeling jealous. I'd rather be happy alone than being with someone at the expense of my passion.

[quote]Tri delta wrote:
My girlfriend always complains about me working out and me having a strong interest in fitness. Anybody ever been in the same boat? It’s my hobby and while I spend time with her everyday for a couple of hours at the very least, but she still complains.

I’m ready to end things so I can workout in peace without someone feeling jealous. I’d rather be happy alone than being with someone at the expense of my passion.[/quote]

It doesn’t seem right that someone wants you to stop doing things that make you happy, and at the same time, increase your quality of life.
Sounds like you got things figured out, good luck with that.

From a instinctive standpoint, it sounds like she feels like she is going to lose you(for whatever reason) because of weight-lifting. Ironically enough, because of the poor way she dealt with her insecurities, she will do exactly that, lose you.

You’re surprisingly calm about it.

Sounds like she sucks.

It’s difficult to make a long term relationship work when you don’t have mutual interest Or when you don’t at least respect and support each others interests.

It’s time to move on. Find some physique chick at the gym and have crazy anabolic sex, get jacked together and then make aesthetic Adonis children. I have shown you the way, go forth and prosper.

For fucks sake. Just tell her this is the way it is and she can accept it or leave. You shouldn’t even consider breaking up with her, just tell her and let her choose.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Sounds like she sucks.

It’s difficult to make a long term relationship work when you don’t have mutual interest Or when you don’t at least respect and support each others interests.

It’s time to move on. Find some physique chick at the gym and have crazy anabolic sex, get jacked together and then make aesthetic Adonis children. I have shown you the way, go forth and prosper.[/quote]

Lol, thanks man

On second thought, you should break up with her. She’s just being a controlling bitch. Exactly how much time is training taking up to make her feel so neglected? Unless you’re spending over two hours a day she’s just trying to control you.

[quote]on edge wrote:
For fucks sake. Just tell her this is the way it is and she can accept it or leave. You shouldn’t even consider breaking up with her, just tell her and let her choose.[/quote]

This. No point in being with someone if they don’t want you to be happy she sounds very selfish.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]Tri delta wrote:
My girlfriend always complains about me working out and me having a strong interest in fitness. Anybody ever been in the same boat? It’s my hobby and while I spend time with her everyday for a couple of hours at the very least, but she still complains. I’m ready yo end things so I can workout in peace without someone feeling jealous. I’d rather be happy alone than being with someone at the expense of my passion.[/quote]

It doesn’t seem right that someone wants you to stop doing things that make you happy, and at the same time, increase your quality of life.
Sounds like you got things figured out, good luck with that.

From a instinctive standpoint, it sounds like she feels like she is going to lose you(for whatever reason) because of weight-lifting. Ironically enough, because of the poor way she dealt with her insecurities, she will do exactly that, lose you.

You’re surprisingly calm about it.
[/quote]

Well I’ve gave up my career while I was married, so I don’t want to give up something important again. I’m calm because I’ve given myself permission to be ok with having a hobby while being in a relationship. Like others have said, I probably just need to find someone who enjoys working out because my chick doesn’t. She’s weighs 230 and I’m 175 so that might have something to do with it as well. Anyhow, thanks for your advice.

[quote]on edge wrote:
On second thought, you should break up with her. She’s just being a controlling bitch. Exactly how much time is training taking up to make her feel so neglected? Unless you’re spending over two hours a day she’s just trying to control you.[/quote]

I’m in there any hour four times a week. The crazy thing that two of those days are on my days off while shes at work so I don’t really get how she has to compete for my time.

Invite her to come to the gym. Tell her it’s something you can do ‘together’.

If she can’t take you working out for an hour or so a day 5-6 times a week, fuck it move on. If not, she will find something else to bitch about.

[quote]Tri delta wrote:
She’s weighs 230 and I’m 175 so that might have something to do with it as well.
[/quote]

And how could you keep that to yourself.

Run, Forrest, run!

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
Invite her to come to the gym. Tell her it’s something you can do ‘together’.

If she can’t take you working out for an hour or so a day 5-6 times a week, fuck it move on. If not, she will find something else to bitch about. [/quote]

She’s not interested in working out and you are so right, she’ll bitch about something else. Life is too short to now be happy so I’m gonna say fuck it and cut my losses.

She’s 230?

That’s her insecurities coming out. That’s why she doesn’t want you in the gym. She would feel better if you were 230 too I’d bet.

Run.

If you want a big woman, you might try to find one like this. She’d never complain about your gym time.

Holley Manfield, 23 years old, 330 pounds. That’s a 319-pound clean and jerk she’s doing there, just so you know.

Or if you like Asian chicks, there’s always Zhou Lulu, weighing in at a svelte 289 pounds.

Yes, she can, in fact, clean and jerk what you deadlift. Doesn’t make you any less of a man.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Or if you like Asian chicks, there’s always Zhou Lulu, weighing in at a svelte 289 pounds.

Yes, she can, in fact, clean and jerk what you deadlift. Doesn’t make you any less of a man. [/quote]

Lol she would snap my shit up but it probably would be tight and grippin

[quote]Tri delta wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Yes, she can, in fact, clean and jerk what you deadlift. Doesn’t make you any less of a man. [/quote]

Lol she would snap my shit up but it probably would be tight and grippin[/quote]

Considering that there is probably no man in China man enough to bed her, I’m sure she would indeed be tight and gripping. She could also probably forcibly eject you and send you hurtling across the room and sprawling on the floor with one mighty contraction of her pubococcygeus muscles.

[quote]Tri delta wrote:

weighs 230 and I’m 175
[/quote]

Does…not…compute…

If your girlfriend won’t, try delta.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Hmm. I generally prefer snatch. But this time I’ll choose jerk.

She is afraid you’re going to leave her fat ass. Honest question, how can you enjoy the fitness lifestyle and be with a morbidly obese woman?