T Nation

Rate my Typical Daily Diet

I was interested in some feedback on whether my diet is good or not; below is a summary of my typical day. My goal is to put on lean muscle mass without much fat, and I’m talking longer term goal.

Because of my job and family, I can only workout in the mornings. Not ideal for massive size I know, but I have to do what I can. Additionally, I like to play golf and basketball so flexibility and mobility is a concern. Accordingly, I’m striving for more of a beachbody look.

5:00am – wake up

5:30am – whey protein mixed with water and sipped throughout workout (anything more and I can’t finish my workout)

PWO (7:00ish) – Muscle Milk shake (Because of a food allergy to peanuts, this is one of the few supplements that I can take safely. Biotest processes products in a facility that processes peanuts).

8:00 – 6 whole eggs, glass of orange juice, banana, multi-vitamin, fish-oil supplement, vitamin E supplement

10:30 – apple, beef jerky, glass of skim milk

12:30 – Six to ten ounces of chicken or steak, salad greens, salsa, apple

3:30 – 16oz of lite no sugar added yogurt, carrots, 3 ounces of turkey, string cheese

6:30 – salmon, salad, low-fat dressing, steamed broccoli, carrots, and asparagus, handful of blueberries, fish-oil supplement

Bedtime (10:30) – Muscle Milk shake, (edit)two tablespoons of cottage cheese

I used to also eat chia seeds throughout the day, but didn’t really feel any difference in my health so I stopped. But if anyone feels that chia seeds or flax seeds are essential; let me know your reasoning (I’m ignorant on this subject)?

No to muscle milk. I would personally risk it with Biotest. The risk is minimal, it is a standard disclaimer.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
No to muscle milk. I would personally risk it with Biotest. The risk is minimal, it is a standard disclaimer.[/quote]

The risk is anaphylaxis, which means death for me. I don’t think the risk is worth it.

Edit – I didn’t mean for this to come off rude. Rereading it I realized that you could take that tone. I meant it as, “I know it is a standard disclaimer, but for me, I have to believe it.”

I have no idea how much you weigh, that would help a lot. At any rate, I’ll tell you what I think…

[quote]McG78 wrote:

5:30am – whey protein mixed with water and sipped throughout workout (anything more and I can’t finish my workout)
[/quote]

Not a good start. Eat a calorically dense whole food breakfast. At the worst, make a bigger shake with some carbs/fat mixed in.

[quote]
PWO (7:00ish) – Muscle Milk shake (Because of a food allergy to peanuts, this is one of the few supplements that I can take safely. Biotest processes products in a facility that processes peanuts).[/quote]

This is where the Whey should go. Muscle Milk is okay, but there are better, cheaper alternatives, all allergies aside.

Looks okay. I’d prefer some type of non-fruit starchy carb like a potato instead of the banana though. Nix the juice too, don’t drink your calories.

Sub some almonds for the apple, nix the milk.

Again with the apple? Don’ need it.

Yogurt? What are you, a woman? Cottage cheese instead of the 'gurt, no string cheese either.

No need for the fruit here.

• Some all natural peanut butter.

Again, this is just MY opinion.

[quote]McG78 wrote:
redgladiator wrote:
No to muscle milk. I would personally risk it with Biotest. The risk is minimal, it is a standard disclaimer.

The risk is anaphylaxis, which means death for me. I don’t think the risk is worth it.

Edit – I didn’t mean for this to come off rude. Rereading it I realized that you could take that tone. I meant it as, “I know it is a standard disclaimer, but for me, I have to believe it.”[/quote]

AHh ok, DON’T do it.

We need your height, weight, bf% (if possible), and your goals before we can assess the diet you posted.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
We need your height, weight, bf% (if possible), and your goals before we can assess the diet you posted.[/quote]

As a caveat, not that it means anything, I have lost about 40 pounds in the last year through working out and diet. For the last year, I’ve focused primarily on weight loss and health concerns(hypertension and asthma).

Thus, my typical workouts have been full-body stuff three days a week and cardio three or four times a week. I have recently switched over to a split routine (chest and back; shoulders, arms, and triceps; and legs and back) and still doing the cardio (plyometrics, intervals, steady rate running, etc.).

My goal is to put on about 10 or 15 pounds while maintaining my bf% (or reducing it a little). And like I said above, I’m shooting for more of a beachbody look one because of time and two because of other interest and family.

I’m 5’10", about 170ish (± 3 pounds), and about 11% bf. I’m almost 30 if that helps any.

Just an aside, the only other time I’ve ever worked out seriously for size (as opposed to workouts for basketball) was back when I was a freshman in college. I went from 145ish to 195. I don’t know my bodyfat back then, but I could see my upper abs.

At that time, I could eat anything because my metabolism was through the roof, and I was still playing competitive basketball.

please people, how are we supposed to “rate” you diet without calories and P/C/F totals? along witrh the aforementioned height, weight, goals etc.

simply posting a list of food is meaningless.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I have no idea how much you weigh, that would help a lot. At any rate, I’ll tell you what I think…

McG78 wrote:

Not a good start. Eat a calorically dense whole food breakfast. At the worst, make a bigger shake with some carbs/fat mixed in.

[/quote] I’ve tried to eat something different, but I get an upset stomach half way through the workout to the point of almost losing it all right there in the squat rack. What type of carbs and fats do you suggest mixing in?[quote]

PWO (7:00ish) – Muscle Milk shake (Because of a food allergy to peanuts, this is one of the few supplements that I can take safely. Biotest processes products in a facility that processes peanuts).

This is where the Whey should go. Muscle Milk is okay, but there are better, cheaper alternatives, all allergies aside.

[/quote]How is whey better than the casein/whey mixture in muscle milk?[quote]

8:00 – 6 whole eggs, glass of orange juice, banana, multi-vitamin, fish-oil supplement, vitamin E supplement

Looks okay. I’d prefer some type of non-fruit starchy carb like a potato instead of the banana though. Nix the juice too, don’t drink your calories.

[/quote] Would toast or oatmeal work? What is wrong with juice? I realize you lose the fiber, but you still get the nutrients. [quote]

10:30 – apple, beef jerky, glass of skim milk

Sub some almonds for the apple, nix the milk.

[/quote] I can’t eat tree nuts or peanuts. So almonds are out for me. Why no fruit or milk? Milk seems to have essential proteins.[quote]

12:30 – Six to ten ounces of chicken or steak, salad greens, salsa, apple

Again with the apple? Don’ need it.

[/quote] I like to have the sweetness of the fruit. But why do you think it isn’t needed?[quote]

3:30 – 16oz of lite no sugar added yogurt, carrots, 3 ounces of turkey, string cheese

Yogurt? What are you, a woman? Cottage cheese instead of the 'gurt, no string cheese either.

[/quote] Yogurt to add in digestion especially the breaking down of proteins. I forgot to put that I eat two tablespoons of cottage cheese at night. Why no string cheese? Seems like it has essential proteins.[quote]

6:30 – salmon, salad, low-fat dressing, steamed broccoli, carrots, and asparagus, handful of blueberries, fish-oil supplement

No need for the fruit here.

[/quote] Fruit is for the antioxidants and as a sweet dessert.[quote]

Bedtime (10:30) – Muscle Milk shake [/quote] Should have put two tablespoons of cottage cheese here.[quote]

• Some all natural peanut butter.

[/quote] Eating peanut butter would kill me. While this would help with my weight loss, it would not help with my goal of being healthy. Seriously though, I appreciate your input.[quote]

Again, this is just MY opinion.

[/quote]

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
please people, how are we supposed to “rate” you diet without calories and P/C/F totals? along witrh the aforementioned height, weight, goals etc.

simply posting a list of food is meaningless.[/quote]

Calories for the above is probably right at 2800. I have no idea about the P/C/F. Personally, I don’t have a ton of time to calculate that stuff. I usually am working from 8:30 to 6:00. The rest of the time I’m playing with my kids, sleeping, or working out.

Ah, that nut allergy thing is a bitch. I really feel bad that you can’t enjoy the greatness of peanut butter or mixed nuts.

bump

whats so good about mixednuts/pb other than it tastes good and is calorie dense?

[quote]kickureface wrote:
whats so good about mixednuts/pb other than it tastes good and is calorie dense?[/quote]

Lots of healthy monounsaturated fat (Omega 6/9) and fiber! Plus like you said - They’re delicious!

[quote]McG78 wrote:
I used to also eat chia seeds throughout the day[/quote]

Are those the seeds you spread out on those clay molds of dogs and sheep and shit?

I remember at an office christmas party we did the secret santa deal, I had to get something for the hottie secretary.

I got her a chia pet.

CH-CH-CH-CHIA!

The chia seeds for chia pets aren’t food grade. But the ones that are, are supposedly higher in omega 3s and minerals than flax seeds. You can buy chia seeds over the internet, health food stores, and even GNC.

No help?

[quote]McG78 wrote:
No help?[/quote]

As previously stated, “how are we supposed to “rate” you diet without calories and P/C/F totals? along witrh the aforementioned height, weight, goals etc.”

Seriously, you’re not likely to get spoon fed around here. You’ll have to put forth a bit more effort so that people can give you meaningful advice.

[quote]McG78 wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:
We need your height, weight, bf% (if possible), and your goals before we can assess the diet you posted.

As a caveat, not that it means anything, I have lost about 40 pounds in the last year through working out and diet. For the last year, I’ve focused primarily on weight loss and health concerns(hypertension and asthma).

Thus, my typical workouts have been full-body stuff three days a week and cardio three or four times a week. I have recently switched over to a split routine (chest and back; shoulders, arms, and triceps; and legs and back) and still doing the cardio (plyometrics, intervals, steady rate running, etc.).

My goal is to put on about 10 or 15 pounds while maintaining my bf% (or reducing it a little). And like I said above, I’m shooting for more of a beachbody look one because of time and two because of other interest and family.

I’m 5’10", about 170ish (± 3 pounds), and about 11% bf. I’m almost 30 if that helps any.

Just an aside, the only other time I’ve ever worked out seriously for size (as opposed to workouts for basketball) was back when I was a freshman in college. I went from 145ish to 195. I don’t know my bodyfat back then, but I could see my upper abs.

At that time, I could eat anything because my metabolism was through the roof, and I was still playing competitive basketball.[/quote]

I’m not trying to be spoon feed. I put this stuff in here. Why do you have to be such an a-hole. As for calories, it is around 2700 or so, as stated above.

[quote]McG78 wrote:

[/quote]

Are you sure it doesn’t say the exact same thing on the back of your jug of Muscle Milk?