T Nation

Rate My Training!

Yeah, the summer has arrived and it’s time to get bigger and get my mass on! I’ve recently finished a 5x5-program and experienced good gains in strength. Here’s my workout I’m thinking about now:

Personal info:
22 years, 6 ft, 165 lbs, plays some basketball, played much soccer in my younger years, started with weight-training at 19.

Goal: Building more mass

Program:
Day 1: Whole body
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Whole body
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Whole body
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Whole body workout:

• Superset posterior, lateral and anterior deltoid with dumbell raises immediately followed standing overhead press performed in thirds (middle, top, bottom), Ellington Darden’s shoulder-program (instead of military press)
  • Pushdowns
  • Squat
  • Flat Barbell Bench
  • Rowing wide grip
  • Romanian deadlift

Set/Rep volume: 36 reps (4x9, 3x12)
Rest: 60/120 sec
Loading: 60% ??

Diet:
Some lowcarb, it really did wonders for my earlier this year when I first tried it! So I’m thinking about the anabolic or the T-dawg v2.0 diet!

Supplements:
Multivitamins w/ minerals, Protein powder (65% whey, 33% casein), EFAOmega (Omega 369, gla, cla), Creatine monohydrate

So, any changes that I need to do here? Can I implement Dr. Darden’s shoulder program with this hypertrophy prog?

1. Can you get progressively much stronger on those exercises? Yes

2. Can you eat enough to foster strength and mass gains? Yes, if you work at it and not get caught up with the “must have swingin’ six-pack” mentality.

Give it a shot. If you continue to meet those two parameters, keep it going.

You are 6 ft and 165 lbs…why would you do low carb. You should weigh at least 200 lbs being that tall to think about cutting out your carbs. A total body program is very demanding and will require carbs especially if your goal is gaining mass. Carbs are not a bad thing if taken at the right time remember.

And why is your first exercise a superset? Your goal in a total body workout program is progression, how are you going to track your progression if you are doing supersets for your first exercise and tiring your self out? I would reccomend just doing heavy push presses or clean and press. And also why would you do pushdowns before bench press? This doesn’t make sense.

[quote]Mikey400 wrote:
You are 6 ft and 165 lbs…why would you do low carb. You should weigh at least 200 lbs being that tall to think about cutting out your carbs. A total body program is very demanding and will require carbs especially if your goal is gaining mass. Carbs are not a bad thing if taken at the right time remember.

And why is your first exercise a superset? Your goal in a total body workout program is progression, how are you going to track your progression if you are doing supersets for your first exercise and tiring your self out? I would reccomend just doing heavy push presses or clean and press. And also why would you do pushdowns before bench press? This doesn’t make sense.[/quote]

Originally I was thinking about this:
Incline benchpress
Barbell rowing
then shoulders (standing militarypress)
and pushdowns and so on…

I was just wondering if I could include a shoulderprogram in addition to the regular program?

And for the dieting, I’m testing the the T-dawg v2.0 diet, which is not a lowcarb but more a reduced carb diet, where most of the carbs are taken in the morning and around training. Just dawg it!

That would be better. As for adding an additional shoulder routine…remember you are doing chest and shoulders three times a week when you do a total body split. There is really no need to add any more shoulders and in my opinion would just be detrimental to your shoulder growth. Focus on increasing your weights in the bench press, military press and barbell row and you will def see your shoulders grow.

[quote]Mikey400 wrote:
That would be better. As for adding an additional shoulder routine…remember you are doing chest and shoulders three times a week when you do a total body split. There is really no need to add any more shoulders and in my opinion would just be detrimental to your shoulder growth. Focus on increasing your weights in the bench press, military press and barbell row and you will def see your shoulders grow.[/quote]

Just the answer I was hoping to hear!

After 3 days of logging my diet at fitday.com Im eating this average:

Average nutrition intake after 3 days:
Total: 3243 kcal
Fat: 232g (9%sat, 25%poly, 13%mono, 65% total)
Carbs: 118 g (14%)
Protein: 173 g (21%)

So how does it look? The first day I had 30% protein of calorieintake because the proteinpowder was available. Some cakes (applepie and chocolate) at a funeral at day 3 ;/