Rate My Training Split

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
The goal of this program is to gain some muscle tone/mass in my legs, especially calfs. Also, gain some size in my posterior delts (which I train on push AND pull days). I have grouped my chest, shoulders, and triceps together because they need the least amount of work. And finally to add some thickness to my back.

M: Hams/Calfs/Forearms
T: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
W: Off
Th: Quads/Calfs
F: Back/Biceps
S: Core
Sun: Off

In addition, I mountain bike 40-60 minutes 5-6 times per week (not including 15 minutes to the gym and 15 back.)

After competing in my first natural bodybuilding comp I track my workouts religiously, including detailed notes. I figure I’ll track my progress for 8 weeks and assess my results at that point. I am also trying out a 40/40/20 diet:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/404020_diet

Any comments or advice is welcome!

Thanks,

-AB[/quote]

Congrats on your first show. How’d you place???

Adding tone/mass to your legs simultaneously would be challenging at best. I’d focus on beefing them up for now. Besides, the ‘tone’ or ‘definition’ in a muscle is typically all diet anyway. So build some muscle and then let your diet give you the look you want.

There is something to be said for a well-conditioned muscle. I think the best way to achieve a really polished look in your legs, or any muscle for that matter, would be to build it up with primarily heavy weights. Then start to incorporate more rep ranges into your training. I’ve found this to work well. The trick is on your higher rep sets (12+) you still have be grinding at the end. If you take it easy you’re really giving your muscles too much of an opportunity to waste away. I know this from experience.

Bango