Rate My Snatch-Grip Deadlift

Hi there,

Here’s a link to my snatch-grip deadlift off a platform I did yesterday. It’s 225#. Reps 1-3 look kind of shabby. The 4th looks like the best one. What are your thoughts?

My stats:
34 yo
5’10 / 185#

Push through with your hips more to finish the lift. It looks like you might be stopping a bit short of lockout. Besides that, the concentric portion of the lift looks great on all of the reps for you, but the eccentric (lowering) portion is a bit iffy.

Don’t break at your knees when you’re lowering the bar until it’s past your knees. Just focus on keeping a neutral back while you lower it past your knees, then break at your knees to lower the weight to the ground. This will keep you from grazing the top of your knees while you lower the weight.

Those look tough as hell. I’ve never tried them elevated lol :open_mouth: I’ll add them in sometime.

NOt to shabby, looks like you could do a bunvh more reps and/or a bunch more weight. go for some 3-5 rep maxes, form wil lbreak downa little, but it’l lbe worth it

outstanding!!!

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
NOt to shabby, looks like you could do a bunvh more reps and/or a bunch more weight. go for some 3-5 rep maxes, form wil lbreak downa little, but it’l lbe worth it
[/quote]

Maybe I’m just a form-Nazi. I thought my form did break down.

1. Shoulders didn’t stay retracted
  2. Ass rose before shoulders in reps 1-3
  3. Hips didn’t finish extension in all reps

I’ll post my DL tomorrow - that should be an eye-opener.

Your hips are much too low at the start, it looks like you are trying to squat the weight. Your hips will basically never be below your knee in a deadlift, especially a conventional deadlift. Other than that form wasn’t too bad. Get rid of the straps at that light weight, you can use them on that exercise if you want but I would only do it when you go heavy.

Just watch out for your family jewels. There’s a reason why I always go heavy on snatch grip DL’s and never light/explosive :slight_smile:

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Hi there,

Here’s a link to my snatch-grip deadlift off a platform I did yesterday. It’s 225#. Reps 1-3 look kind of shabby. The 4th looks like the best one. What are your thoughts?

My stats:
34 yo
5’10 / 185#

[/quote]

i rate it as poor…to very poor.

nice constructive criticism eh…

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
nice constructive criticism eh…[/quote]

well…he asked for us to rate it.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
arnoud verschoor wrote:
nice constructive criticism eh…

well…he asked for us to rate it.[/quote]

Yep - just gathering opinions.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Your hips are much too low at the start, it looks like you are trying to squat the weight. Your hips will basically never be below your knee in a deadlift, especially a conventional deadlift. Other than that form wasn’t too bad. Get rid of the straps at that light weight, you can use them on that exercise if you want but I would only do it when you go heavy.[/quote]

His hips are at the right point at the start of each rep. Mostly because it a SNATCH GRIP DL, a Olympic lift accesory lift and it make the start of the snatch stronger.

The first thing I noticed is that you really do not set yourself for the lift, you just kind of sit down as far as you can go and stand up without any adjustments.

Set yourself over the bar, this is done by setting the grip then pushing your hips back as far as you can. This will have the effect of straightening the shins vertically and forcing your weight onto your heels.

Try and touch your chin onto the wall in front of you at the same time. If done properly should be felt in hamstrings.

When standing up keep the same back angle until bar is past the knees.

When going back down do not think of bending the knees or you will do it too early and take the stress off the hamstrings and back. Push your hips back again (as above) and the weight will come down by itself.

You will notice that because your shins are vertical, doing the movement is smoother as your knees will be out of the way.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
Tim Henriques wrote:
Your hips are much too low at the start, it looks like you are trying to squat the weight. Your hips will basically never be below your knee in a deadlift, especially a conventional deadlift. Other than that form wasn’t too bad. Get rid of the straps at that light weight, you can use them on that exercise if you want but I would only do it when you go heavy.

His hips are at the right point at the start of each rep. Mostly because it a SNATCH GRIP DL, a Olympic lift accesory lift and it make the start of the snatch stronger. [/quote]

To be fair if it was an Olympic lift accesory he’d have kept is his shoulders over the bar longer and the bar would not have gone around his knees. The bar would have gone back at a nice angle towards his mid thighs and he wouldn’t finish straight up. Usually just to the bent forward hang position.

It looks pretty good as a Snatch grip DL. You don’t see many guys do that!

Mak sure the eccentric part of the lit you keep your back straight also and lower with yoru legs :slight_smile:

Koing

So my goal is to do olympic lifting and strongman. Would I be better served by a raising the hips slightly to place a greater emphasis through the posterior chain and keep my shoulders over the bar longer?

I just moved to Chicago and my new home gym didn’t have a squat rack (and any real amt of weight) until yesterday. So I’ve been doing these sn-gr-dls from a platform … because they’re the fucking hardest version of a deadlift under 300#.

yes, raise the hips. There are a few pics on this website, both pics have the hips around parallel.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
So my goal is to do olympic lifting and strongman. Would I be better served by a raising the hips slightly to place a greater emphasis through the posterior chain and keep my shoulders over the bar longer?

I just moved to Chicago and my new home gym didn’t have a squat rack (and any real amt of weight) until yesterday. So I’ve been doing these sn-gr-dls from a platform … because they’re the fucking hardest version of a deadlift under 300#.

[/quote]

Yes raise your hips a bit but it isn’t that important as long as your using your legs to squeeze the weight off the floor.

You don’t want your hips raising faster then your shoulders as this means your using your back and not your legs!!! But your not doing this :slight_smile:

Shoulders over the bar will make it much much harder but it is much more specific to Olympic lifting. Your shoulder should always be over the bar for as much of the lift as possible. Sets yourself up for a solid 2nd pull :slight_smile:

Koing