T Nation

Rate My Routine

Hey im new here, and have been weight training since christmas, like 2-3 months and just wanted to see if someone could "rate my routine" its a 5 day split.
also to note, some of the reps/sets arent the ones i follow, just its a bit muddled due to edits.

Flat/Decline/Incline Bench Press - 3 sets 8 reps - Progressive weight (choose one)
Shoulder Press 3 sets 10 reps
Forward raises 2 sets 20 reps
Lateral raises 2 sets 20 reps
Weighted shoulder Shrugs - 3 sets 10 reps
Triceps push-downs 2 sets 20 reps
Close grip pronated chin-ups
Abdominal wheel rolls outs
jack knifes on physio ball

Deadlift 8 - 10 sets 3 reps
hanging leg raises
Pull overs

Wide grip pull ups 50 reps, as many sets as it takes to get to 50. *
*=substitute with Bent over barbell rows 3 sets, add weight each set, and keep reps around 6-12
One arm rows
Reverse fly's 3 sets 10 reps

Squats 6 reps 5 sets
Standing barbell curls 3 sets 8 reps
Standing hammer curls 3 sets 10 reps
Weighted triceps dips 2 sets 20 reps
dumbbell tricep extensions
Farmers walk

Leg press 6 reps 5 sets OR squats 6 reps 5 sets
Forward/Reverse leg raises 3 sets 10 reps
Calf raises - 1 set 50 reps bodyweight, 2 sets 50 reps w/a barbell medium weight, 1 set 30 reps w/a barbell high weight
low to high/high to low, cable wood-chops

So you're a bloody beginner, huh?

Advanced guys won't be able to handle that much volume without being sore all the time. However, for a beginner I believe it makes sense to test your limits and do as much work as you can handle.

Couple pointers:
- Why do you put squats last on Wednesdays? I would put them at the beginning to optimize strength gains in this crucial lift.

-Not enough triceps work on arm day and overall. You're working the shit out of your biceps with the pull-ups, deadlifts, rows and curls.

At least on your arm day you should do super-sets, matching each set of curls with pull-downs, dumbbell extensions(I really like those) or skull crushers.

• I Like that your back and legs get worked hard 2 times a week, that's something refreshing in a beginners program.

-You need to provide your stats and goals so that we can comment more precisely on what to do.

Thanks for the feedback, Ill update Wednesday some more tonight as i'm busy at the moment.
Skull crushers hurt my elbows to much so ill have to add in some different triceps work.

Yes i'm a bloody beginner

Bench is 190

dead-lift is 275

goal? just to get big, built, strong, have a good physique, etc.

why did you decide to put squats and deads on consectutive days?

Unintentionally, as I swapped Thursday and Wednesday. I must have missed the fact that they got put so close. I made the changes today and wanted feedback, so thanks for pointing it out. I may swap the days back as I don't recall why I made the change in the first place.

[edit] - unless I was trying to separate having squats two days in a row..