T Nation

Rate my Routine for Adding Muscle

Bulking regimine:

Hey, I am currently looking to bulk up AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I know that this involves a good diet, but on the training aspect of things how does this sound:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Deadlift and squat day
Thursay: Shoulders and Triceps
Friday: Back and Biceps

Chest:Incline Bench (3 sets of between 3-10 reps)
Flat Bench (2 sets of 3 reps)
Dips ( 3 sets of between 10-15 reps)

Squat and Deadlift: Squat: (3 sets of 10 reps)
Deadlifts (2 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of 5 reps)

Shoulders: Military Press (3 sets 10 reps)
Seated Smith Machine Military press ( 2 sets 5 reps)
Lateral Raises( 3 sets of 10-15 reps)
Tricpes Cable Pull downs (3 sets)

Back: Barbell row(3 sets 8-10 reps)
Cable Pulls to throat (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Seated Cable Rows (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Biceps Curls (3 sets 8-10 reps)

Thats what I’ve currently just started and hope to grow like a fucker with it providing my diet is in order. I am not particularly a ‘hardgainer’ but am still quite small: 162lbs at 5 ’ 6". Is this too much/ not enough volume. P.s. my primary goals are GROWTH, although I will try to push the numbers up every week

also I intend to do this natural if this makes any difference.

If your primary goal is growth, then you are GOING TO HAVE TO push your numbers up every week.

3 reps is way too heavy for you, as a begginer. 6-10 would make more sense. I dont like the routine all that much but you can make decent progress if you put effort in it

Why do you have deadlift and squat on the same day? Make a leg day, and put the deadlift for your back day.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Why do you have deadlift and squat on the same day? Make a leg day, and put the deadlift for your back day.[/quote]

Why? dls work the legs at least as much as the back. I find that squats are a good warm up for deadlifts and that if I DL on back day, my workout sucks because my lower back is crushed. Anyways I think that’s not the biggest concern in his program.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Why do you have deadlift and squat on the same day? Make a leg day, and put the deadlift for your back day.

Why? dls work the legs at least as much as the back. I find that squats are a good warm up for deadlifts and that if I DL on back day, my workout sucks because my lower back is crushed. Anyways I think that’s not the biggest concern in his program.[/quote]

Yes, but I am assuming he is not a beginner, and squatting and deadlifting heavy weights in the same day is never that good. Now, if he used RDLs, then I wouldn’t really be concerned, but from what I have read around this site, once someone gets up to heavy enough weights, DL and squats in the same day is not optimal.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

Why? dls work the legs at least as much as the back. I find that squats are a good warm up for deadlifts and that if I DL on back day, my workout sucks because my lower back is crushed. Anyways I think that’s not the biggest concern in his program.[/quote]

what kind of weights are you using? I pulled 405 for a double on back day and squatted 3 plates, and leg pressed 7 on each side for 6 in the same week.

it isn’t that crazy.

I rate it a 4.

squats take so much out of my legs and i feel it in my lower back doing it before deadlifts would be death…

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I rate it a 4.[/quote]

Mr P If you are going to take the time to make a post at least put something useful in it and don’t be a dick.

OP I don’t really like the plan as you have it laid out, but I suppose you have reasons for arranging it in this way?

A better back day for you would be:

• Power Clean from pins or blocks (this is easy to learn even for a newb)
  • Chins (if you are not strong enough on chins to get the required volume do 3 sets of max, then go to the pull-down machine)
  • Seated cable row or single arm dumbell row

Otherwise why don’t you just go with a tried and tested beginners routine and focus on getting stronger as this is the best way to gauge REAL progress - size comes with strength!

If you’re goal is growth I’d say add isolation exercises on leg and chest day.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

Why? dls work the legs at least as much as the back. I find that squats are a good warm up for deadlifts and that if I DL on back day, my workout sucks because my lower back is crushed. Anyways I think that’s not the biggest concern in his program.

what kind of weights are you using? I pulled 405 for a double on back day and squatted 3 plates, and leg pressed 7 on each side for 6 in the same week.

it isn’t that crazy.[/quote]

In the same week. Yeah, that’s not bad.

hey guys, thanks for your replys. First off, I am not a beginner, I have been going from about january and gained roughly 7lbs of lean muscle. Therefore I would label myself in between beginner and intermediate.

As for the squats dealifts dilema: I am training at my home gym until september where I can get access to my university gym where there are better facilities, and the squats are infact rack squats:D

Jamfly, thanks for the advice. Do powercleans promote backgrowth though? I though they where a legs and shoulders exercise!?

Why would you give a beginner the advice of adding power cleans to his program for adding muscle?

The reality is that he won’t be able to use much weight, he probably won’t know how to do them properly, and he won’t have access to someone to teach him.

If he wants something for back or legs, he should stick with rows, chins, squats, deadlifts, etc.

Power cleans, snatches, etc., won’t do much for a weak beginner who hasn’t already packed on a good amount of size and strength.

I would add a few more sets of everything, especially bi’s and tri’s. 3 sets for a whole week doesnt seem like alot. And your also only doing cable work on your tri’s, a bit of close grip bench could be good.

You also choose incline bench over decline, id recommend both.

What about your calfs? It would be shit if you had a real successful bulk and have shit calfs at the end of it.

[quote]ois297 wrote:
Bulking regimine:

Hey, I am currently looking to bulk up AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I know that this involves a good diet, but on the training aspect of things how does this sound:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Deadlift and squat day
Thursay: Shoulders and Triceps
Friday: Back and Biceps

Chest:Incline Bench (3 sets of between 3-10 reps)
Flat Bench (2 sets of 3 reps)
Dips ( 3 sets of between 10-15 reps)

Squat and Deadlift: Squat: (3 sets of 10 reps)
Deadlifts (2 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of 5 reps)

Shoulders: Military Press (3 sets 10 reps)
Seated Smith Machine Military press ( 2 sets 5 reps)
Lateral Raises( 3 sets of 10-15 reps)
Tricpes Cable Pull downs (3 sets)

Back: Barbell row(3 sets 8-10 reps)
Cable Pulls to throat (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Seated Cable Rows (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Biceps Curls (3 sets 8-10 reps)

Thats what I’ve currently just started and hope to grow like a fucker with it providing my diet is in order. I am not particularly a ‘hardgainer’ but am still quite small: 162lbs at 5 ’ 6". Is this too much/ not enough volume. P.s. my primary goals are GROWTH, although I will try to push the numbers up every week

also I intend to do this natural if this makes any difference.
[/quote]

First off, if you have only been lifting for about 7-8 months, you are a beginner. No offense, that’s just how it is.

Secondly, it’s assumed that you’re doing it natural unless you say to the contrary. That’s no biggie though.

Thirdly, [quote]P.s. my primary goals are GROWTH, although I will try to push the numbers up every week[/quote] that’s just dumb. How do you think you get bigger, using the same freaking weights every week? The ONLY way to get appreciably bigger is to get stronger. Anyone saying otherwise is foolish. Why on earth do you think your body would get bigger if you used moderate/high volume but kept the weights the same? There’s no reason to Grow! Show me a person who is lifting the same weights for the same reps for 5 years, and I’ll show you someone that looks exactly the same as 5 years ago.

Now I definitely am going to advise that you put deadlifts on back day, but they key is that you KEEP GETTING STRONGER! If you can consistently add weight from week to week (without bad form) to squats and deads while working them on the same day, keep doing them the same day. If and when you aren’t able to keep adding weight to one or both, then put deads on a different day. Once you start using heavier weights you won’t be able to put enough effort into both to continue getting stronger.

Lastly…why don’t you just do Rippetoe’s?

[quote]

First off, if you have only been lifting for about 7-8 months, you are a beginner. No offense, that’s just how it is.

Secondly, it’s assumed that you’re doing it natural unless you say to the contrary. That’s no biggie though.

Thirdly, P.s. my primary goals are GROWTH, although I will try to push the numbers up every week that’s just dumb. How do you think you get bigger, using the same freaking weights every week? The ONLY way to get appreciably bigger is to get stronger. Anyone saying otherwise is foolish. Why on earth do you think your body would get bigger if you used moderate/high volume but kept the weights the same? There’s no reason to Grow! Show me a person who is lifting the same weights for the same reps for 5 years, and I’ll show you someone that looks exactly the same as 5 years ago.

Now I definitely am going to advise that you put deadlifts on back day, but they key is that you KEEP GETTING STRONGER! If you can consistently add weight from week to week (without bad form) to squats and deads while working them on the same day, keep doing them the same day. If and when you aren’t able to keep adding weight to one or both, then put deads on a different day. Once you start using heavier weights you won’t be able to put enough effort into both to continue getting stronger.

Lastly…why don’t you just do Rippetoe’s?[/quote]

when did I ever say that I wasn’t going to push the weights up every week?? I simply said I wanted to gain muscle. This means that I would prefer a routine that adds to that specifically as oppossed to strength. I wasn’t born yesterday and know that putting my numbers up every week is upmost priority, however I was asking what sort of volume is best suited to a ‘beginner’ for adding muscle!

I have done rippetoe’s from January to May, and I cant do it atm as it requires squats 3 times a week. If you read my second post I said my gym can’t facilitate ordinary squats. Also, Im fucking sick of rippetoe!

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I rate it a 4.[/quote]

Thanks for the constructive advice

If you want to get as big as possible, the most important part of the equation is your diet.
As far as training goes, you want to hit every muscle group thoroughly but also avoid excessive exercises and volume so that you can hit your muscles with a higher frequency without cutting into recovery.

If I was going to lay out a plan to take someone from skinny/average to big as quickly as possible, it would probably look like this:

Diet -
2x bodyweight in protein daily, enough calories to gain at a rate of 3-5lbs of bodyweight a month, avoiding sugar and trans fats whenever practical, minimum of one gallon of water per day.

Training -
Day 1: back&biceps
Day 2: chest&triceps
Day 3: legs&calves
Day 4: shoulders
Day 5: rest
Day 6: repeat, or another rest day.

Workouts centered around the basic exercises:

Back - Deadlift, barbell row, pullup
Chest - bench press, incline bench press
Biceps - barbell curl
Triceps - skullcrushers, dips
Thighs - squats, leg curls
Shoulders - military press, lateral raise

Aiming to gain around 10lbs a month on these lifts, excluding things like lateral raises and other small exercises, which you should still aim to gain at least 5lbs a month on.

Each muscle group can/should also have one “pumping” exercise to use at the end of the workout. (eg: pec deck, leg extension, etc.)

Stretching done frequently, light cardio done regularly.

That’s about it.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
If you want to get as big as possible, the most important part of the equation is your diet.
As far as training goes, you want to hit every muscle group thoroughly but also avoid excessive exercises and volume so that you can hit your muscles with a higher frequency without cutting into recovery.

If I was going to lay out a plan to take someone from skinny/average to big as quickly as possible, it would probably look like this:

Diet -
2x bodyweight in protein daily, enough calories to gain at a rate of 3-5lbs of bodyweight a month, avoiding sugar and trans fats whenever practical, minimum of one gallon of water per day.

Training -
Day 1: back&biceps
Day 2: chest&triceps
Day 3: legs&calves
Day 4: shoulders
Day 5: rest
Day 6: repeat, or another rest day.

Workouts centered around the basic exercises:

Back - Deadlift, barbell row, pullup
Chest - bench press, incline bench press
Biceps - barbell curl
Triceps - skullcrushers, dips
Thighs - squats, leg curls
Shoulders - military press, lateral raise

Aiming to gain around 10lbs a month on these lifts, excluding things like lateral raises and other small exercises, which you should still aim to gain at least 5lbs a month on.

Each muscle group can/should also have one “pumping” exercise to use at the end of the workout. (eg: pec deck, leg extension, etc.)

Stretching done frequently, light cardio done regularly.

That’s about it.[/quote]

Why not do RDLs for hamstrings? Also, why so little exercises for leg day? I know you are trying to go for higher frequency, but, one more exercise would not hurt?