T Nation

Rate My Proportions

That’s very sacreligious. You gotta learn boy, use this website, ton of articles on overhead pressing technique.

I do some pressing with 40 pound dumbells (very light weight compared to my bench but feels VERY heavy for me) but almost never with a barbell because i can’t figure out where to place my hands.Close or Wide.

lol. ‘I don’t know where to put my hands so I just don’t do the exercise’ is pretty silly, don’t you think? you realize that if you had googled ‘where to grip bar overhead press’ you would have had your answer, right?

So, I highly recommend learning to overhead press a barbell from a standing position. There are very few exercises that will give you more bang for the buck than this movement. Core stability is essential to performing it, and it will quickly help you identify weak points pretty much anywhere in the body.

This is a video that will help you tremendously with the movement. Grip width discussion is at about 3 minutes in, but I would suggest watching the whole thing.

Ill try it today.At my gym we only have 2 squat racks so i will have to go early to get one of them.

get your abs and traps/neck and you will look so much better. I don’t know much about bodybuilding so don’t burn me if you disagree.

I got abs i just didnt flex them in the pictures.

Ive been overhead pressing for 47 days now since is started.Put on 45 pounds on it.Went from doing barely doing 90 pounds to 135.Trying 145 today.Will try to get to a bodyweight overhead press by christmas.Feels fine and doesnt hurt anymore.

dude, that’s great news! glad you came back to let us know!

Ill post progress pics in maybe 4 months. My shoulders grew insanely in just 1 month and a half…I have a huge separation appear between my front and side delts. Im worried that my side delts cant keep up. Need something to do for side delts. Do you know what the best exersize for them is?
Im sitting in my geometry class right now haha.

Good work. My side delts respond well to very high rep side laterals of all kinds, dumbells, bands, cables. Usually around 20reps but as high as 50 reps at times. The key for me was going much lighter than I used too, keeping form very strict and actually getting the side delts doing the work instead of powering them up. Fight through the burn and they will grow.

Paul Carter’s lawn mower exercise is also great and although it works a lot of traps I find it really hits the side delts. It’s kind of like an explosive up right row. If your wanting to do a heavy exercise for side delts I would go with this rather than heavy side laterals

As an aside, your randomly appearing nagging pain in the left shoulder sounds like thoracic outlet syndrome and/or simply a nerve feeding the plexus getting pinched near your thoracic or cervical vertebrae (especially if it feels like a shortlived electrical shock that appears when you least expect it). Improving your posture will prevent or reduce the occurrence of it.

Its gone by now.