Rate My Program

I realize that this forum is probably swarming with programs/routines/whatever you want to call it but any tips on improving my current program would be greatly appreciated. This program was made with the goal of getting stronger while trying to put on some extra weight. (I realize the term ‘bulk’ gets tossed around a lot) The first lift of each day follows the 5/3/1 plan so I’m just going to put week 1

Monday:
Front squat (5/3/1)
A1) RDL 5x5
A2) Lunge 5x5
Back squat 3x25

10 minutes of plank work to keep the core active

Tuesday:
Incline bench (5/3/1)
A1)Chin up 5x5
A2)Fly 5x5
A3)DB row 5x5

Shoulder stabilizer work with bands and a few cuban presses

Thursday:
Deadlift (5/3/1)
Leg Curl 5x5
Power Clean 5x5
Back extensions 3x12
Plate pinches 4xALAP

Friday:
Seated Military press (5/3/1)
Weighted Pull ups 5x5
A1)Lat raise 5x5
A2)Front raise 5x10
Reverse fly 5x5
Farmer Walk 4xAFAP

Thank you for taking the time to look through this and please don’t hold back, all constructive criticism is appreciated.

You should have posted your program here: Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Part 4 - Powerlifting & Strength Sports - Forums - T Nation.

Other than this, some assistance/iso movements seem to be too heavy (5x5 on fly and lat raises), power cleans go before DL, and…no direct arm/calf work?

[quote]fabiop wrote:
You should have posted your program here: Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Part 4 - Powerlifting & Strength Sports - Forums - T Nation.

Other than this, some assistance/iso movements seem to be too heavy (5x5 on fly and lat raises), power cleans go before DL, and…no direct arm/calf work?[/quote]

i disagree. why cant he do heavy flys and lateral raises?

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

Other than this, some assistance/iso movements seem to be too heavy (5x5 on fly and lat raises), power cleans go before DL, and…no direct arm/calf work?[/quote]

i disagree. why cant he do heavy flys and lateral raises?[/quote]

Correct. I’m a 5/3/1er and essentially do it bb style. All is ramped, and iso varies but is usually heavy.

[quote]jdobs56 wrote:
I realize that this forum is probably swarming with programs/routines/whatever you want to call it but any tips on improving my current program would be greatly appreciated. This program was made with the goal of getting stronger while trying to put on some extra weight. (I realize the term ‘bulk’ gets tossed around a lot) The first lift of each day follows the 5/3/1 plan so I’m just going to put week 1

Monday:
Front squat (5/3/1)
A1) RDL 5x5
A2) Lunge 5x5
Back squat 3x25

10 minutes of plank work to keep the core active

Tuesday:
Incline bench (5/3/1)
A1)Chin up 5x5
A2)Fly 5x5
A3)DB row 5x5

Shoulder stabilizer work with bands and a few cuban presses

Thursday:
Deadlift (5/3/1)
Leg Curl 5x5
Power Clean 5x5
Back extensions 3x12
Plate pinches 4xALAP

Friday:
Seated Military press (5/3/1)
Weighted Pull ups 5x5
A1)Lat raise 5x5
A2)Front raise 5x10
Reverse fly 5x5
Farmer Walk 4xAFAP

Thank you for taking the time to look through this and please don’t hold back, all constructive criticism is appreciated. [/quote]

Just do a bodypart split and train 5-6x a week.

Powerlifters do it (or at least to build up their base), Strongmen do it (Savickas, Poundstone), Bodybuilders do it. It works.

• It’s easy to do
  • You are fresh each work out.
  • You get training frequency (Triceps when you train chest, chest when you train triceps, upper chest,triceps when you train shoulders, shoulders when you train chest, back when you train legs etc.)
  • It’s simple.

Train arms.

Dont bother with plate pinches, do high rep db rows without straps.

I also don’t see the point of supersets unless you want to improve your conditioning or you are short on time.

My 2 cents: Don’t superset chinups and db rows. You wont perform on either exercise. Do one, then the other.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

Correct. I’m a 5/3/1er and essentially do it bb style. All is ramped, and iso varies but is usually heavy. [/quote]

Same here, but seeing the sample templates provided by Jim Wendler, I noticed that assistance is always done for high-ish reps (think 5x10-15).

Of course, nothing wrong with ramping to a max set of 5-8 on any movement, but I assumed OP meant 5 set of 5 reps with the same weight…my bad if my assomption was wrong.

The link fabiop posted doesn’t take me anywhere. I also went heavy on the flys, lat raises, and such because they’re a weak point for me strength wise and I’m working on bringing them up

[quote]jdobs56 wrote:
The link fabiop posted doesn’t take me anywhere.[/quote]

Sorry, it doesn’t seem to work…it was the “5/3/1” thread (part 4) on the Powerlifting forum: lot of useful information, Jim Wendler’s answers and other people sharing their experiences.

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:
You should have posted your program here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/wendlers_531_program_part_4.

Correct. I’m a 5/3/1er and essentially do it bb style. All is ramped, and iso varies but is usually heavy. [/quote]

Same here, but seeing the sample templates provided by Jim Wendler, I noticed that assistance is always done for high-ish reps (think 5x10-15).

Of course, nothing wrong with ramping to a max set of 5-8 on any movement, but I assumed OP meant 5 set of 5 reps with the same weight…my bad if my assomption was wrong.[/quote]

haha why would you assume someone would want to do 5 sets at the same weight? that just seems rediculous.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:
You should have posted your program here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/wendlers_531_program_part_4.

Of course, nothing wrong with ramping to a max set of 5-8 on any movement, but I assumed OP meant 5 set of 5 reps with the same weight…my bad if my assomption was wrong.[/quote]

haha why would you assume someone would want to do 5 sets at the same weight? that just seems rediculous. [/quote]

what is ridicolous about straight sets? ive had plenty of success with 5x5 same weight each set and know of many others who have as well. its not either ramping or straight sets. both can be employed with success.