Rate My Excellent Diet

note: I take 3 fish oil pills and 3 vitamins a day.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
note: I take 3 fish oil pills and 3 vitamins a day.[/quote]

anything else supp wise?

i would lose the vitamins and take more fish. see above, finally posted in entirety, the quick reply cut out around vitamin B12 or so.

recommendations since my long winded post are dead on, funny how everyone caught the big things as there are few.

Is grapeseed oil OK? I use it to cook my stirfry’s with since olive oil has such a low smoke point. Sometimes I drizzle some onto my broccoli, I could use EVOO here but my only other source of poly’s is fish oil caps. I eat alot of almonds throughout the day so I figured I go with a poly oil instead of a mono. Please advise

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Is grapeseed oil OK? I use it to cook my stirfry’s with since olive oil has such a low smoke point. Sometimes I drizzle some onto my broccoli, I could use EVOO here but my only other source of poly’s is fish oil caps. I eat alot of almonds throughout the day so I figured I go with a poly oil instead of a mono. Please advise[/quote]

grapeseed high in omega 6, certain canola oils are much better for their omega3/omega6 ratio. macadamia, avocado oils, butter, and cocoanut oil are all reasonable alternatives as well as cooking at lower temps allowing you to use olive. if you use grapeseed, be careful of how much ends up in your food.

But don’t I need some omega 6? Like I said, my only other significant source of polys is fish oil.

Almonds are almost 25% omega6. Most nuts have omega6. macadamia has very little since most the fat is mono. Canola has omega6, twice as much as omega3 (18.6 vs 9.2%). A tbsp of canola has around 3g omega6 and 1.5g omega3, and a 30g serving of flax has about 1.8g omega6.

Don’t make assumptions about intake until you have added it all up. A third the omega6 in the OP’s diet was a little here and there. There will be omega6 in chicken fat, eggs, some in pork, less in beef.

In the end it is a question of balance. This is why my clients will work on tweaking meals within guidelines and balance fat for each along with acid-base (done with enough veggies and fruit).

Once these two needs are met in addition to the animal protein that they rounding out, one is 90% of the way to an optimal diet. Careful carb source selection and timing, and judicious supplement use are all that is left to work on.

[quote]johnny-longtorso wrote:
Could I ask where you got that info from? Is there a decent on-line calculator or something?
[/quote]

I used the SR 19 search software available here:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720

They have an online version, but at 20MB or so, it is a very small program, so I suggest download. It is simply an Access DB and a little search box. Each item will have an individual report in a separate window and you can adjust the serving size. For many foods, common measures other than weight are provided.

This is by far and away the most complete data set as most industrial countries’ health/agriculture ministries contribute to the data set, ie: I can download the data set from Health Canada, but not the nice program.

Any calculator you find will be using this data set, albeit a sometimes very limited version of it. The best by far I have seen for free is fitday ( http://www.fitday.com/ ) and they have a version you can buy for $30-40 (download vs. CD) CT uses this I believe.

Why I don’t use fitday and Nutritional Zealots

I do not use fitday because around 50% of my business is doing a far more indepth version of the analysis you see in this thread, right down to the meal. This often means using more than the SR19 as the sole source of information (remember the competition uses a subset of this data solely).

I have written macros to do some of the work for me, but this one I did by hand (I even drew the grid on the paper with a pen and ruler) because I was in a coffee shop and I got into an argument with an RD about dietary composition and making DRIs.