-2 6 oz hamburgers(90+% lean)
-2 whole wheat buns
-ketchup

Pre-Bed Shake
-1 cup skim milk
-1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
-3 globs all natural peanut butter
-1.5 scoops GNC chocolate whey protein

I wouldn’t say excellent. What are your goals? For the snacks you need to add some protein and if your goals are fat loss then get rid of the whole wheat buns. You might want to get rid of the whole wheat buns even if your goals are mass gaining and substitute all those refined carbs that you are eating with Fruits and veggies or even beans.

Dude, your diet needs work. First off, you need way more fruits & veggies…none of this 25 pieces of spinach BS. Secondly, stop eating frickin’ burgers & ketchup on “wheat buns”. That’s a CHEAT MEAL in my opinion.

The ketchup and “wheat buns” are full of high fructose corn syrup. Most whole wheat bread is bordering on being white bread. I eat rye bread, but it’s heavy and doesn’t contain sugar and all the weird shit they put in most breads (like Wonder bread).

That snack is a joke. Do you know what it means to eat 5-6 meals a day? It means 5-6 meals containing equal calories. I eat 5 meals each containing about 550 calories. 25 blueberries…wtf is that! Like 5 calories or something.

Final word, spread out your calories, lose the hamburgers and eat your damn veggies!

Guys, I appreciate the advice. I like my diet, however I marked the title in order to grab attention.

Anyway, I don’t understand how 2 servings of a full bowl of frozen, unsweetened blueberries is an unsatisfactory portion of fruits. Also, why is 2 servings of a moderate to high amount of veggies not sufficient? I eat the spinach raw. I used to boil 60 pieces, but hardly any spinach remained following boiling.

True, wheat buns are garbage. I saw “whole wheat,” and let my guard down. I did read “high fructose corn syrup” in the ingredients, so I shopped at Trader Joe’s and got whole wheat buns without the poison of corn syrup.

I have to count the calories, but I eat lean meat, lean chicken, tuna and a fair amount of fruits and veggies. I get > 200 g of protein per day. I don’t understand my weaknesses with respect to my diet.

its okay. I do agree with the “add veggies” comment…

and you should consider skipping the skim milk at bedtime, too much sugar…just use water in the shake…

just my two cents…

you do not get a fair amount of fruits and veggies. if you ate that by lunch, perhaps.

the protein is fine, the rest needs work, consider quinoa instead of bread, or eat more rice.

checkout Metabolic Drive Complete for prebed, i think you can get the same protein content for a similar cost with a better protein profile, more calcium, better carbs. something to think about for your next round of purchases.

healthy fats, fish, nuts, this will take care of some of those bread calories. why do you need to limit calories, if you do, why not eat more fruit for carbs since it has more micronutrients and fiber per kcal anyway?

props on the beef for breakie, i would like to see more people do this. i would rather you had guacamole with it, an avocado mashed, small tomato diced, a little red onion and some chopped bell peppers, pepper, lemon juice. have an orange too. and a couple fish oil. if you did this, you would get similar calories, better carbs, more fiber, more vitamins and minerals (especially ones that i can see are not in your diet), healthy fats that crank your metabolism, immune system, etc.

the evening beef meal could have the asparagus, maybe some broccoli - steamed is best as it will not leach nutrients, some healthy fats, nuts, fish oil, also any olive oil vinegrette is fine as long as there is no sugar in it.

is your mayo the crap or homemade kind?

[quote]Digity wrote:
Dude, your diet needs work. First off, you need way more fruits & veggies…none of this 25 pieces of spinach BS. Secondly, stop eating frickin’ burgers & ketchup on “wheat buns”. That’s a CHEAT MEAL in my opinion.

The ketchup and “wheat buns” are full of high fructose corn syrup. Most whole wheat bread is bordering on being white bread. I eat rye bread, but it’s heavy and doesn’t contain sugar and all the weird shit they put in most breads (like Wonder bread).

That snack is a joke. Do you know what it means to eat 5-6 meals a day? It means 5-6 meals containing equal calories. I eat 5 meals each containing about 550 calories. 25 blueberries…wtf is that! Like 5 calories or something.

Final word, spread out your calories, lose the hamburgers and eat your damn veggies![/quote]

I agree, I would eat 5 boiled eggs instead of that. If you have high cholesterol eat two of them with yolk and throw the rest of the yolks out.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
is your mayo the crap or homemade kind?[/quote]

Serious question:
What’s the difference?
Directly from my Helmann’s label:
Soybean oil, water, whole egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice

Any “homemade” mayo recipe I’ve ever seen has been fairly analogous…

Don

I had been eating 5 scrambled eggs in the morning with canadian bacon for breakfast, but I can no longer eat eggs, forcing me to shit my brains out.

I am taking your suggestions seriously. I am going to shop for salmon today at BJ’s. Hopefully I can find some wild salmon in packets. Plus I will force myself to eat some almonds/walnuts as a snack with blueberries. I used to eat them, but I got disgusted when eating them.

My plan is to try to replace hamburgers and buns with salmon, rice and broccoli/asparagus/spinach OR chicken, rice, broccoli/asparagus/spinach.

Let me know how these improvements are.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
My plan is to try to replace hamburgers and buns with salmon, rice and broccoli/asparagus/spinach OR chicken, rice, broccoli/asparagus/spinach.[/quote]
Sounds good. Try making salads. I like to use romaine/green/red leaf lettuce, kale and spinach in my salad. I top it with sliced cucumber, green pepper, tomato, red onion and sometimes avocado. It’s a good way to get a lot of veggies. Just go easy on the dressing. It’s good to drizzle some olive oil or use the avocado, because the fat in these foods helps you absorb the nutrients better.

Keep trying new veggies. I recently tried brussel sprouts and they’re pretty damn good as long as you don’t overcook them. Once you do that they’re a bit bitter. Probably why people don’t like them, but when they’re cooked perfectly (by steaming) they’re great.

Collard greens are very tasty, especially with a little ranch dressing.

Yes, I need to try collard greens. I keep thinking about buys some, but I’m never sure how to prep them. Do you just boil them?

[quote]Digity wrote:
Yes, I need to try collard greens. I keep thinking about buys some, but I’m never sure how to prep them. Do you just boil them?[/quote]

steam your veggies, you will lose less of the nutrients and they will be more palatable. add healthy oils like olive, macadamia, walnut, almond, or even butter along with spices and other veggies will allow you many options for dishes that don’t need choking down.

True, I steam almost all my veggies…but some I prep differently. I know there’s some interesting recipes out there for collard greens.

Here are the numbers for the diet:

Kcal: 3250
PRO: 328g
CHO: 184g digestible
fiber: 29g
FAT: 132g
SAT: 35g
POLY: 27g
omega3: 2.5g
omega6: 23g
DHA: 0.43g
EPA: 0.10g
trans: 12.5g
bad trans: 1.5g
CLA: 2-3g
A: 564RAE 63% target(900-1500)
C: 40mg 33-44% target(90-125mg)
D: 500IU 125% target
E: 15.8mg 100% target
K: 440mcg 367% target
B1: 1.59mg 133% target
B2: 2.67mg 200% target
B3: 99mg 600% target
B5: 9.9mg 200% target
B6: 5.1mg 300% target
B7: 40mcg 133% target
B9: 405mg 100% target
B12: 22mg 900% target
Ca: 1025mg 100% target
Fe: 30mg 330% target
Mg: 650mg 155% target
P: 3390mg 484% target
K: 5350mg 114% DRI(4700), 67% target(8000)
Na: 2150/2550mg 143/170% target
Zn: 40mg 360% target
Cu: 2116mcg 235% target
Mn: 7.4mg 240% target
Se: 380mcg 690% target

The targets are the DRIs except potassium where we have adjusted the target upwards to compensate for increased protein and salt intake.

For the other micronutrients, you are looking for around 150% target due to higher kcal intake.

For minerals, your microminerals (Fe, Zn, Cu, Mn, Se) look good. If you have any family history of issues with iron levels, you might need to look at the iron, but otherwise looks excellent.

sodium:
if you get unsalted cottage cheese, then you are looking at the lower number and this around what you want/need. The ketchup is 20-25% of your sodium intake. Removing it gives you a wide array of options, you also lose 13g of sugar.

Adding sodium back in is easy, pinch of salt. The buns are also around 20-25% of sodium intake. Your range of intake currently is right around where you should be, any removed should be replaced.

potassium:
you should consider bumping it, 100g broccoli and 100g spinach would go some ways towards this. As would subbing buns for quinoa and/or fruit. These steps would help with fiber and folate(B9) also while keeping the Na/K ratio balanced and along with Mg protecting your bones from calcium loss.

calcium:
intake fine as long as Na kept where it is and K bumped a little. You could increase intake a bit, but not really needed if the rest is fine. 1500-2000mg would be the highest you want to go.

vitamin A:
you need to at least double intake, the spinach and broccoli would take care of this.

vitamin C:
once more at least double, spinach and broccoli again.

vitamin D:
fine, mostly from tuna. Sardines are an alternative source, have omega3 which you lack, and calcium which you are alright for.

vitamin E:
barely made DRI, you should shoot for 20-25mg based on kcal intake. Adding 30g of flax meal and some fish oil caps should nicely round out this intake, and the flax will add 8g of fiber and 6.5g omega3

vitamin B1:
if you remove the buns, you are at 100%, flax mentioned above is 20% DRI, subbing pork tenderloin or sirloin chops for one beef meal every second day would bring average above 200% DRI.

fiber:
a third short, the flax will take care of half that, more fruits and veggies instead of buns will do the rest, or quinoa, brown or wild rice, steel cut oats are far better sources than the buns if carbs are what you want. Raspberries instead of blueberries every other time will give you more fiber too.

omega3/omega6 ratio:
is 1:9, 1:1-1:3 is target. That means at least 8g omega3. You need both the 18 carbon omega3 from flax, 30g of flax meal will provide 6.5g, and an additional 3-6g of EPA+DHA (the 20 and 22 carbon omega3s your body cannot manufacture at a high enough rate), this would be 10-20 standard fish pills or 4-8 Flameout.

Even 3 Flameout a day and sardines instead of tuna every third day would suffice, or barring that 6-8g of cheap-o 30% fish caps. You could drop omega6 a little to compensate for extra fat calories and bring it in line, the significant sources are the mayo and PB, drop the mayo, keep the PB, add some nuts if need be (1-2oz.) and you are golden here too.

protein:
288g animal, 88%. Not much to say here, you have excellent sources, variety is poor, though i suspect that is budget related. Ground buffalo, lean pork and eggs are all in the same price range.

carbs:
not too bad here. Really the buns and the ketchup are the only questionable sources, don’t sweat the 12.5g in the milk.

fat:
if you take care of the omega3/omega6 thing you are perfect here too. The trans is mostly vaccenic acid and CLA (around 2-3g), the good stuff. The 1.5g of man-made trans-fat comes from your bun and the mayo, most likely vegetable shortening. Even if you continue to eat bread, make sure it does not have shortening (or hydrogenated oils - same thing) and is only whole grains.

If you like mayo, make your own. You can use eggs that have been pasturized and available in a carton, there are omega3 ones at the store i shop at, about 30% more expensive than eggs in carton, but for such purposes, very reasonable. This will save you the bad trans fat as well as help with the omega3/omega6 ratio - the store bought mayo has 40% of your diet’s omega6 content.

Macronutrient Composition

Protein: 40%
Carbs: 23%
Fat: 37%

Summary of Recommendations:

DROP:

• buns
  • ketchup
  • mayo

ADD:

• 20-30g flax meal (seeds must be ground or they won’t be absorbed)
  • 4-8 Flameout or 10-20 regular fish oil caps
  • 100g broccoli
  • 100g spinach (on top of currently consumed spinach)
  • orange or apple
  • quinoa, brown or wild rice, steel cut oats, or real bread that could have been made 1000 years ago to replace buns

Alternates:

Bonus:
adding in some tomatoes, a couple bell peppers - orange, yellow, red, and purple - a couple avocados during the week and rotating such accent veggies along with main veggie source will give much greater phytonutrient antioxidant protection.

A few simple changes would dramatically improve a decent diet (compared the average person’s) to a great one. I would focus on the drops and adds for 2 weeks, and if that goes well and is tolerable, you can move on to the rotation and variety focus. After that you are going to be tweaking amount of intake, supplements, and training and recovery.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
here are the numbers for the diet:

[/quote]

Could I ask where you got that info from? Is there a decent on-line calculator or something?

Your omega 3 to 6 ratio is skewed. Cut back on omega 6. I think it should be like 1:2, respectively.

[quote]johnny-longtorso wrote:
ubl0 wrote:
is your mayo the crap or homemade kind?

Serious question:
What’s the difference?
Directly from my Helmann’s label:
Soybean oil, water, whole egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice

Any “homemade” mayo recipe I’ve ever seen has been fairly analogous…

Don
[/quote]

First of all, the soybean oil. It’s complete shite, and the omega-6:omega-3 ration is through the roof. The only reason it’s used is because it’s cheap as dirt. Plus, it’s soy. Need I say more?

Homemade mayo is usually made with olive or canola oil. Plus, the eggs in Helmanns are certainly from factory farms, are pale yellow, and have the same nutritional profile as my ball sweat.

Use good, fresh eggs and olive oil, and you are going to have some tasty mayo (or, if the olive oil taste is bit too strong, you could use canola or a mixture of the two).

Puts it into perspective. I’m still learning of the relative evils of “commodity foodstuffs” like oils & sugars, etc.

Will have to try the home-made. Hell, I can walk across the street and get the eggs right from the nest - can’t get any fresher unless Mrs. Longtoso starts squeezin’ 'em out herself…

Don

for breakfast how about this

piece of fruit
bowl of quinoa
bigass meaty steak BABY