Rate My Diet

Hey guys after altering it a few times, this is what I came up with for my semi-lean bulk. I do about 30 mins of cardio everyday just so you guys know and lift 5 days a week.I try to only mix starches with proteins in the mornings and post workout .

Breakfast 6:30
-2 scoops of Isopure protein
-2 cups of oatmeal with spray butter and 1% milk

Snack 9:30-10

• 1 large banana
  • Some celery sticks

Lunch 12-1

• Salad or sometimes just carrots and celery
  • Potatoes or bread

Post workout 3

• Gatorade
  • Protein shakes or bar

Dinner 6-6:30

• Piece of chicken
  • Veggies

Before bedtime 9-:30

• Protein shake
  • Celery with peanut butter

Apart from a piece of chicken I see no other real protein. Include more real protein. Swap your post workout for Surge. Include lean protein with every meal, take in the bulk of your starchy carb’s in the morning and post workout and try to include veggies into at least 3 if not all your meals, the more the better. Just by looking at your fat intake it’s practically non existent so have you taken into account any macronutrients?

What is a semi-lean bulk, what is the other half of the equation?

It might be a good idea to increase your protein intake to 1g/lb of bodyweight and for that to come from solid, non-protein shake food.

While I’m not of the no protein shake persuasion, it still just makes more sense intuitively to get as much of your daily intake from real foods as possible.

Think eggs in the morning, cottage cheese as a snack, nuts for fats, as much of the broccoli family of vegetable as you (or your significant other) can handle, etc. Whatever your goal is, more protein than you are currently consuming will speed your results and improve your health as well.

One banana and some celery sticks won’t do anything for you except give you fiber, potassium, and some glucose. While these things are beneficial (potassium actually being necessary), increasing your protein will provide significantly more benefits

Order of importance of macro- and micro- nutrients:

1. Protein
  2. Essential fatty acids (fish oil, etc.)
  3. Vitamins and minerals (green veggies, fruits, trace amounts from protein and other foods)
  4. Fiber (same sources as #3)
  5. Carbs/fats conducive to your goals.

1, 2 and 3 should all be 1 because you can’t survive without vits and mins, aminos, and EFAs.

And wtf is a semi-lean bulk? Pick a goal. And pursue that goal with enough protein.

Check out the plethora of threads on food lists and how to start a healthy, muscle building diet.

Ok so I meal 2 should change, and ill add more veggies and some peanuts in meal 5. What kind of carbs do you guys recommend for meal 2 and 3?

well meal 2 you pretty much arent eating a damn thing, and you shold look to harness the awesome power of canned tuna. those things are gold in a can. I feel its a big piece in solving your nutritional puzzle up there

Ok that sounds good. I just dont want to eat too many carbs then I burn off and gain a lot of belly fat along the way. I am trying to make this a lean bulk.

Sorry my friend but you’re just not getting enough total calories IMO to have a lean bulk. When your calories are too low you won’t recover from workouts, burn out quickly, and end up with a cold/flu.

Remember- you MUST have excess calories to gain muscle (unless you are already SIGNIFICANTLY overweight where it’s possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.) Also, like others have said - eat protein! 1g/lb of lean body weight. Don’t forget your pre/peri/post workout nutrition as well.

Hope this helps,
Hank