T Nation

Rate My Coaches Training Program

I’m a football player and a wrestler and this is my training program that our coach implements.

Monday: Pyramid 10,10,8,6,4

Incline BB Bench.
Hangcleans
BB Bench
Squats

Tuesday: Plyometrics(sp)

Wensday: 5x10

Incline BB Bench
Alternating DB Hangcleans
BB Bench
Step ups on a 30" Box

Thursday: Plyometrics(sp)

Friday: 5x6

Incline BB Bench
Hangcleans
BB Bench
Squats

The workouts occasionally vary slightly form this, but this is the basic workout plan for a week.

5 days straight? Plyos for everybody? Hang cleans are always after benching and not first? Does he know how to coach hang cleans? 2 types of barbell benching 3x per week? No horizontal pulling? Nothing in the absolute strength range? (<4 reps) No pullups? Deadlifts/pulls?

Not exactly what I’d prescribe.

I like the idea, has your team’s strength gone up overall? What about the shoulders, are people complaining?

yes he does know how to coach hang cleans. our form is good. not everyone’s just the strong kids who tend to continually take the class have good form. this is really the only program i’ve ever done and my lifts went from nothing at 14 to bench of 265. hangclean of 260 ish. and Squat of 400 ish. our strongest kids lift in the mid 300’s on bench, mid 500s on squats and im the best at hangcleans.

if the program works, then is a 10/10

What are alternating DB hang cleans?

no deadlifts / rows is kinda meh… I know some coaches don’t like deadlifts especially in big groups but in that case I’d expect some lunging or something. deadlifts are a serious money exercise for wrestlers… posterior chain + grip work in 1 exercise.

LOL at mid-500 squats in high school.

[quote]indian340 wrote:
yes he does know how to coach hang cleans. our form is good. not everyone’s just the strong kids who tend to continually take the class have good form. this is really the only program i’ve ever done and my lifts went from nothing at 14 to bench of 265. hangclean of 260 ish. and Squat of 400 ish. our strongest kids lift in the mid 300’s on bench, mid 500s on squats and im the best at hangcleans.
[/quote]

Those are quite the improvements for six months.

[quote]indian340 wrote:
I’m a football player and a wrestler and this is my training program that our coach implements.

Monday: Pyramid 10,10,8,6,4

Incline BB Bench.
Hangcleans
BB Bench
Squats

Tuesday: Plyometrics(sp)

Wensday: 5x10

Incline BB Bench
Alternating DB Hangcleans
BB Bench
Step ups on a 30" Box

Thursday: Plyometrics(sp)

Friday: 5x6

Incline BB Bench
Hangcleans
BB Bench
Squats

The workouts occasionally vary slightly form this, but this is the basic workout plan for a week.[/quote]

That’s a shit workout for wrestling. Unless you want to move up a weight class? For mat strength I would do a hell of lot more for shoulders, back and core.

Upper Body
I would switch the BB pressing to DBs or add them in somewhere. Crazy bell Bench is probably the best pressing movement you can add for mat strenght. I would do a shit ton of shoulder work as well. H-Rolls, Seated DB clean, Face pulls, etc. I would go heavy (1-6 reps) on movements where it is safe if you don’t want to gain weight but want to get strong. Shoulder stuff should be in the higher (10-14)rep ranges. Rotator cuff stuff even lighter. You should also bee doing heavy rows. DB, BB, T-Bar, whatever you have access to.

Lower Body
Again stay in the lower rep ranges and heavy weight if you what to get strong and stay in the same weight class. Squats, DLs, Romanian DLs, and GMs should be heavy. Assistance work should be high rep ranges if you want a bit of conditioning. You could even do some rest-pause sets on asessory work. Step-ups, oly squats, pull throughs, etc. Keep the plyo stuff and the oly lifts if you want.

Core - do a ton.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

That’s a shit workout for wrestling. Unless you want to move up a weight class? For mat strength I would do a hell of lot more for shoulders, back and core.

Upper Body
I would switch the BB pressing to DBs or add them in somewhere. Crazy bell Bench is probably the best pressing movement you can add for mat strenght. I would do a shit ton of shoulder work as well. H-Rolls, Seated DB clean, Face pulls, etc. I would go heavy (1-6 reps) on movements where it is safe if you don’t want to gain weight but want to get strong. Shoulder stuff should be in the higher (10-14)rep ranges. Rotator cuff stuff even lighter. You should also bee doing heavy rows. DB, BB, T-Bar, whatever you have access to.

Lower Body
Again stay in the lower rep ranges and heavy weight if you what to get strong and stay in the same weight class. Squats, DLs, Romanian DLs, and GMs should be heavy. Assistance work should be high rep ranges if you want a bit of conditioning. You could even do some rest-pause sets on asessory work. Step-ups, oly squats, pull throughs, etc. Keep the plyo stuff and the oly lifts if you want.

Core - do a ton.

[/quote]

Do some grip and lower arm works as well.

[quote]tedro wrote:
indian340 wrote:

Those are quite the improvements for six months.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/training_log_looking_for_input [/quote]

ya those are maxes. maybe 20-40 lbs improvement in 6 months which is ok. not great. i’m looking for more

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[/quote]

All high school guys squat in the mid-500’s and bench in the 400 range.

TNT

I’d definitly try and get in some rear delt work/ face pulls and also pullups if possible

Sounds fine, I would just do more rows.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

All high school guys squat in the mid-500’s and bench in the 400 range.

TNT

[/quote]

quit being sarcastic. those #'s were from our best over the past 5 years. The kid who has the bench record benched 405 while weighing roghly 300. He is also the guy who got the 585 for 5 reps on squat. he was a freak of nature and he did weigh like 300lbs

thats cool that your strongest kidsss lift that much

You mentioned KIDS that lift in that range.
That’s plural, meaning more than 1. 585 lb for 5 reps puts the estimated 1RM at well over 600 lbs. which means these KIDS just out-squatted most university varisty athletes. Call me a skeptic.

I’ve seen what most high schools kids call a squat and what they call a bench - and most of them aren’t either.

TNT

kids was a mistake. i meant one kid. and yes we do have some strong kids in our program but we have only had one that strong ever. and our squats and bench are to powerlifting criteria.

our coach is an old school mofo and we have to use perfect form otherwise we get chewed. the only non “proper” thing about our lifts is we are not required to pause at the bottom of the bench. this does not mean we can bounce it but it does mean it is a little easier

Doesn’t seem like you have a whole lot of respect for that coach of yours does it!

It’s pretty important to have a coach you actually trust lol…