Rate Girlfriend's Beginner Routine

I want to start her on a full body routine 3x a week. Cardio and ABs on selected off days. Seems like a good routine for me as-well(not beginner) but just wanted to see your opinions. She only has about 4 weeks experience with weights…

Monday: 3 sets, 6 reps
Squat
Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Triceps; pulldowns
Hammies; leg curls

Wednesday: 3 sets, 9 reps
Incline Bench
Military Press
Deadlift
Delts; Lat Raise
Calves; raises

Friday: 3 sets, 12 reps
Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Biceps; curls

How does it look; Any suggestions or tweaks or possible links to other routine I can simultaneously do with her.

Talking to her she is telling me she likes lat pulldowns, dumbell flies, and back extensions. Can I work those in somehow?

What’re her goals?

You may find some good information in my training women differently thread in alpha.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
You may find some good information in my training women differently thread in alpha.[/quote]

Yes!!! Excellent thread! I’d highly recommend reading it.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/different_methods_when_training_women

[quote]pch2 wrote:
What’re her goals?[/quote]No defined goal as for numbers and crap. Simply just “look good”.

I thought it out and will raise the reps for her, Monday: 10 ; Wednesday: 12 ; Friday: 15

Im kinda iffy on the routine but I wanted to get input on what to start her with…3x full body that I can do along side her with some tweaking of reps for myself.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
You may find some good information in my training women differently thread in alpha.[/quote]thanks, Ill check it out

if fat loss and building muscles is her goal then i’d recommend 3 pairs of super sets and HIIT for all 3 days.

[quote]Benji33 wrote:
I want to start her on a full body routine 3x a week. Cardio and ABs on selected off days. Seems like a good routine for me as-well(not beginner) but just wanted to see your opinions. She only has about 4 weeks experience with weights…

Squat
Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Triceps; pulldowns
Hammies; leg curls

Incline Bench
Military Press
Deadlift
Delts; Lat Raise
Calves; raises

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Biceps; curls

How does it look; Any suggestions or tweaks or possible links to other routine I can simultaneously do with her.[/quote]

Seems to much volume for a beginner female, I’ll suggest SS as a good program you can do together. It’s 3x per week on non-consecutive days as well.

[quote]kensai01 wrote:

Seems to much volume for a beginner female, I’ll suggest SS as a good program you can do together. It’s 3x per week on non-consecutive days as well.[/quote]

SS?

Starting Strenght = SS

if you google it there is a wiki page explaining the program…

How should I work in intensity and such?

I’m going to repeat something Alwyn Cosgrove has said that I agree with: Unless you can do at least 20 push-ups, you’ve got no business trying to bench press. Can she do ANY push-ups? If not, start with knee push-ups.

I also wouldn’t mess around with bicep curls or pull-downs. Have her do assisted pull-ups and chin-ups instead.

My girl started “Starting Strength” about 3 weeks ago.

She’s loving it and is making some great progress so far. I think she’s added 15-20lbs on all her lifts; minus overhead press.

Girls and their lack of upper body stretgth…grr…

[quote]Benji33 wrote:

Squat
Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Triceps; pulldowns
Hammies; leg curls

Incline Bench
Military Press
Deadlift
Delts; Lat Raise
Calves; raises

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Biceps; curls

How does it look; Any suggestions or tweaks or possible links to other routine I can simultaneously do with her.[/quote]

Does she have four or five days to work out? My opinion, give her a five-day split and have her work out two bodyparts per day. Also, increase her sets to four and reps to 10. Have her do some super-setting in all exercises so she can feel the burn. You might have to babysit her for a couple of weeks, though.

How long our her workouts per day?

[quote]B rocK wrote:
My girl started “Starting Strength” about 3 weeks ago.

She’s loving it and is making some great progress so far. I think she’s added 15-20lbs on all her lifts; minus overhead press.

Girls and their lack of upper body stretgth…grr…[/quote]

Grrr yourself! :smiley:

keep it up stay focused