Rate a Newbie Physique

I’m a 24 y/o paramedic, 6’ 190lbs, have no idea what my BFP is. I work 96 hrs a week right now and am in no way a bodybuilder like alot of you guys. One of my buddies just directed me to this site so here ya go, pick on the new guy. Just looking for some constructive criticism, maybe get some tips, any advice is much appreciated.

sorry for the black and white. I just got an IMac and i’m still trying to figure out how to use it. I’ll get a color one up as soon as i can.

A color photo would help out quite a bit. I also think some back and leg shots would help us get a better overall understanding of where you are at. Your chest seems underdeveloped compared to the rest of your upper body.

I rate your physique a six, and your ability to put on pants a two.

I would rate you as:

a) Obviously flexing your traps
b) Using ridiculous lighting to try and give yourself definition
c) 4

1. no i’m not flexing my traps cuz if i was i doubt you’d be able to see my neck. I’ve always had big traps probably due to years of football and wrestling. Oh and if you’ll notice the one on my left side is smaller than the other. I dislocated my shoulder once and have looked screwy ever since

2. the color i agree is ridiculous and is secondary to the fact that as i stated i just got a new IMac and it comes with a bunch of bullshit that i have no idea how to use. if i did i’d photoshop my head onto ronnie coleman’s body and get y’all to rate that, besides which i haven’t seen a pic of yourself posted so i doubt you’re more “defined” than myself, prove me wrong and i’ll apologize and give you all the props in the world

3. Thanx for the honesty

[quote]kelleyb wrote:
A color photo would help out quite a bit. I also think some back and leg shots would help us get a better overall understanding of where you are at. Your chest seems underdeveloped compared to the rest of your upper body. [/quote]

my chest has always lagged and i dont know why. I do everything they tell you to do to make your chest grow, but the hell with it

It just be me but it is really had to believe that you do not workout. I think you are full of it or yourself. I do give you props. You are in great shape.

when did i say i don’t workout? lol, man you guys…anyway i do workout and i never said i didn’t. as a matter of fact i workout pretty hard and that’s kinda why i wanted to post this here instead of somewhere else. i’ve looked around on this site for along time and you guys seem to be more of a “no bullshit”, “this is what’s wrong so stop being a pussy and fix it” type crowd.

I only posted that i work as much as i do so people would understand that i don’t have the kind of time that most people do to dedicate to lifting. I’m off on mon, tue, thur. that’s it. my station works 24hr shifts because we;re running a skeleton crew with people hurt so i’m literally at work all day and night wednesday during the week, and then friday through monday morning.

I was hoping to get some criticism and maybe some ideas to get the most out of the 3 days i do have to dedicate to lifting and conditioning

Yo Tex,

With your limited availability, if i were you, i’d put together an intense, short and sweet program of HEAVY, COMPOUND LIFTS. Don’t screw around with secondary work.

I don’t know what your program looks like right now, but given your tight schedule, it might be time to mix it up. I’d do sets in a low rep range at your 80 - 90 RM and see how that treats you for a while. High intensity, big push and pull movements. Get in and get the hell out of the gym in 50 minutes. Move big weights which is always fun and going to no doubt make you stronger. That way you can spend the rest of your free time living your life. Don’t let your job take you down man.

FYI - i give you a 5. you’ve got room for so much more, but you’re doing better than a majority.

Good luck.

thanx for the feedback. Heavy compound lifts are pretty much what i do now. Bench Squat and deadlift. my big 3 look like this

bench 5x5- 240lbs
squat 5x5- 320 lbs
DL-5x1 385

i also do military presses, weighted pullups, weighted pushups, and decline weighted situps.

i can’t really get a one rep max as i workout by myself in a home gym and don’t have a spotter. I got a buddy who is a bodybuilder and he suggested that i keep the lifts i’m doing but increase reps and lower the weight for hypertrophy.

He does a 5 day split (and has sponsors, money, and tons of time) and like i say i really don’t have time for that plus i don’t think i’m anywhere near ready for that advanced of a routine.

I’m wondering however if my lifts are even heavy enough to where i can afford to drop weight and increase reps or if i’d just be pissing in the wind with too light a load?

again thanx for the feedback

I’d work on getting stronger on those numbers. Your DL can definitely come up and you can no doubt do 1RM on the DL. I’d soley concentrate on improving numbers, ie strength gains, which will lead to size gains.

Couple things to try and you’ll surely love:

Instead of bench, try floor presses. You’ll be able to push a hell of a lot more weight (which is fun in itself) and it’ll help you break through to some new levels. You won’t need a spotter on a floor press either. Read up on them.

For the squat, try box squats. Again, you’ll be able to load up the weight.

DLs…try rack pulls. Once again, more weight, more stress, no need for a spotter. Read up on Cresseys recent article on these.

In general, mix it up a bit.

BTW - i’m glad to hear you are a critical thinker and 2nd guess your body builder friend. Do what works for you. But make sure what you are doing IS working for you.

Good job so far man. I gave you a five but considering the picture that was generous, also… pull your pants up dude, this is T-Nation not mens health.

goddamn, lmao, cut me some slack on the pants thing!

YOU put the picture up of yourself and asked others to comment. It doesn’t matter if they are Ronnie C or if they are the local fatass from McDonalds. Take the comments as a man instead of being a little whiny girl, making comments like that.

Looking strong though. If you provide some better pictures I’ll give you a rating :slight_smile:

honestly, when did i whine like a little girl? i simply explained that the bad lighting was due to my own incompetence at working my new computer so cut me some goddamn slack, lol. pretty shitty of that guy to make assumptions like he did wouldn’t you say?

i’ll take any and all criticism, that’s the whole reason i posted, but motherfuckers don’t need to be saying that type of dumb shit like i’m “using lighting to give myself definition”. shit man, i’m not a pro photographer.

Why the hell would i whine, i’m appreciating the feedback so far. the camera is built into the computer at the top of the screen so its hard to take pics since it only gives you a 3 second countdown. i’ll try to borrow a digital cam and get some more pics up. thanx guys

JBR is typically negative with attitude.

Well, I felt your comment about others who should put up their own pictures was rather unnessesary. My bad if I misunderstood.

Chancho1: Erhm… I have no clue what you’re talking about, but think what ever you want.

[quote]JBR wrote:
Well, I felt your comment about others who should put up their own pictures was rather unnessesary. My bad if I misunderstood.

Chancho1: Erhm… I have no clue what you’re talking about, but think what ever you want.[/quote]

DAMNIT JBR! Dont you keep up with the “Rate me” forum?!

Chancho is lean and he poses, that obviously makes him a good judge of peoples attitudes.

Do you think he got his abs by just following a simple weight loss program?
Hell no he didnt, I bet it was realy complicated.

There for he IS the authority on everything and shouldnt be questioned.

Plus he hasent designated you as his pier there for he dosent care what you have to say.

n3wb

Doing good OP.

Im sure you have the basic stuff covered and dont need the typical T-Nation advice.

Just thought I would drop in and say goodjob.

EDIT - nm, let’s just keep it civilized :slight_smile:

@OP: Let’s see some more pictures so we have something to base our rating on.