T Nation

Rate 2 Month Progress

Started back in the gym beginning December with the goal of strength. Was obv bulking started at 230 and am now about 250 so obv gained some fat but at 6’4 I don’t think it’s to bad I’ve been doing full body 3x per week and 2 days of conditioning
My lifts definitely increased(this is for 3x5)
Bench 175-235
Squat 260-315
Deadlift 315-390(405 this week)
OHP 115-145
Power cleans 155-185

Since it’s PFT season we will have weigh ins and I’m gonna fail so I’ll be forced to cut back down to 225 which is quite depressing I don’t want to lose my strength gains but I know I will fail the tape test since I don’t have an 17-18inch neck

Just train your neck man I was able to add a solid inch in just 6 weeks time. My,neck responded crazy well to high rep high volume training for it. A 17-18 neck is not hard to attain at all. Hell at 250 I’m surprised you,don’t just have one.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Just train your neck man I was able to add a solid inch in just 6 weeks time. My,neck responded crazy well to high rep high volume training for it. A 17-18 neck is not hard to attain at all. Hell at 250 I’m surprised you,don’t just have one.[/quote]

I agree but at the gym where I’m at there isn’t rele a lot to do I’m investing in a neck harness for when I get back to the states soon. And yeah honestly if u looked at me u would think I was 230 or so I guess I just have a huge frame to fill out. As for strength gains what do you think?

[quote]SBerlin wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Just train your neck man I was able to add a solid inch in just 6 weeks time. My,neck responded crazy well to high rep high volume training for it. A 17-18 neck is not hard to attain at all. Hell at 250 I’m surprised you,don’t just have one.[/quote]

I agree but at the gym where I’m at there isn’t rele a lot to do I’m investing in a neck harness for when I get back to the states soon. And yeah honestly if u looked at me u would think I was 230 or so I guess I just have a huge frame to fill out. As for strength gains what do you think?[/quote]

If your gym has weight plates or dumbbells you can definitely train your neck.

Lay down on a bench with your head unsupported by the bench. Put a weight on your forehead, let your head fall back and crunch your neck upward. You’ll feel it.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]SBerlin wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Just train your neck man I was able to add a solid inch in just 6 weeks time. My,neck responded crazy well to high rep high volume training for it. A 17-18 neck is not hard to attain at all. Hell at 250 I’m surprised you,don’t just have one.[/quote]

I agree but at the gym where I’m at there isn’t rele a lot to do I’m investing in a neck harness for when I get back to the states soon. And yeah honestly if u looked at me u would think I was 230 or so I guess I just have a huge frame to fill out. As for strength gains what do you think?[/quote]

If your gym has weight plates or dumbbells you can definitely train your neck.

Lay down on a bench with your head unsupported by the bench. Put a weight on your forehead, let your head fall back and crunch your neck upward. You’ll feel it.
[/quote]

Do you do high reps with these, also how many times per week should neck be trained

[quote]SBerlin wrote:

Do you do high reps with these, also how many times per week should neck be trained
[/quote]

I don’t really put that much thought into neck training. Give it a try and see what works for you. If your neck is growing, you are doing it right.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]SBerlin wrote:

Do you do high reps with these, also how many times per week should neck be trained
[/quote]

I don’t really put that much thought into neck training. Give it a try and see what works for you. If your neck is growing, you are doing it right.[/quote]

Haha I don’t think many people but if I ever want to be above 225 while in the marines I gotta have Atleast 17+ to make tape unfortunately it looks like ill fail the one this week and will be forced to cut but I’m gonna be determined when I bulk again to gain neck size

[quote]SBerlin wrote:
Do you do high reps with these, also how many times per week should neck be trained
[/quote]

Never go heavy with low reps when it comes to neck training! Those muscles respond well to anything in the 15-100 (!) rep range. If you wanted to, you could do a few high rep sets every day - that’s what wrestlers do.

I never used a harness ever. All I used were plates and neck bridges. I trained my neck about 3 times weekly.

Monday: 4-5 sets of 15-25 reps to the front and back.
Wednesday: Timed holds to the front and back. 2-3 sets of max time.
Friday: Same as Monday plus 3 sets 20 Barbell Shrugs with a 5 second pause at top.

Went from 16.25" to just over 17". Then about 3 months later I finally hit the 18" mark. Has since regressed back to 17.5" due to not focusing on it any more.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I never used a harness ever. All I used were plates and neck bridges. I trained my neck about 3 times weekly.

Monday: 4-5 sets of 15-25 reps to the front and back.
Wednesday: Timed holds to the front and back. 2-3 sets of max time.
Friday: Same as Monday plus 3 sets 20 Barbell Shrugs with a 5 second pause at top.

Went from 16.25" to just over 17". Then about 3 months later I finally hit the 18" mark. Has since regressed back to 17.5" due to not focusing on it any more.[/quote]

Nice hopefully I can get to 18" that would be sick

If you’re squatting 315, then you’ve surpassed 95% of all lifters and many people who’ve frequented these boards for some time. You’re doing fine–just keep doing it.

[quote]DoingWork421 wrote:
If you’re squatting 315, then you’ve surpassed 95% of all lifters and many people who’ve frequented these boards for some time. You’re doing fine–just keep doing it.[/quote]

Thanks a lot man unfortunately I’m am goin to cut weight I’m like 250 right at 6’4 but I’m gonna try to get a little leaner so when I bulk again I can do it more clean and put more size to my neck rather than waist