T Nation

Ratchet Loading w/ Dumbbell Exercises?

Hi, I am from the UK and am wondering where I can get similar products to Anaconda? Its so expensive to ship and I am only a teacher!! I am committed though!!

Also when doing a rachet loading it suggests adding 10 to 20 lbs on a dumbbell exercise? What if you cannot possibly lift that on top?? My one rep max is 20kg.

Many thanks guys

Alex

God help your students.

You can get all the Biotest products here: www.Biotest.co.uk but you probably won't like the prices. AFAIK some people are actually ordering directly from Biotest (US) because it's cheaper to pay for shipping.

As far as I know there is no real replacement for Anaconda available anywhere. You can do pretty well with other stuff, though, including some easily available in the UK. It won't be the same, but it will be a lot cheaper.

The 10 to 20lbs part is just a result of a quick copy and paste job. There are in fact a couple of errors in the sheets provided. When in doubt go with what the video is showing. You'll see that 10 to 20 is generally what is added for barbell exercises. For dumbbells you would usually go up 5 to 10 pounds (spread on DB rows will obviously be greater than on lateral raises).

Most dumbbells I've seen in the UK so far are made by the same company (Escape I think?) and have a 2kg jump. If that's to much for you you can always improvise - for example spend a couple of quid on two pieces of chain, each weighing about 1kg and attach them to the DB or your wrist.

The most important thing is to go with what feels right. Pick a weight that does not feel too light for the first set and go up so that the last set is very challenging.

B.

Why?

If you're one rep max is only 20kg on any major lift then you don't need Anaconda.

Well, I'm being a dick I guess, but I just wonder about someone who says 20kg is their 1RM, and doesn't specify a lift.

Sorry, I was too busy thinking aboiut the move that I didnt specify. I mean Bicep work.

Rational Gaze. Think the comments about my students was a little harsh though...

Thank you very much for your help BIP and THERARAJ.

The closest thing I can think of in the UK is Maximuscle's Recovermax...and even that isn't really similar when you look at the products in depth.

What is the movement? Unless you look like you've been in a concentration camp your 1RM is probably more than 20kg. Unless you're talking about 20kg per arm.

At least he spelled "dumbbells" with two B's.

He said he meant "bicep work" so i assume he meant hammer curls or something similar. xanderfraser if your 1rm is 20kg per arm then you could use 10lbs, 20lbs, 30lbs then 40lbs dumbbells for your sets but your probably better off adding 5lbs per dumbbell eg 25lbs, 30lbs, 35lbs and 40lbs in each hand