T Nation

Rat In McDonalds Salad

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahg5jSI.JqoyO.MFOxplAb9DubYF?slug=ap-cowboys-ratinsalad&prov=ap&type=lgns

Alright, if this person really did find a rat in their salad, why do they think they area entitled to 1.7 million for closure? What is wrong with this fuggin’ country? Why do people automatically think to sue first?

I found a maggot in my chinese food about a year ago. Did I sue? Nope. I took the food back to the restaurant, showed it to them, got my money back and left. I won’t ever eat there again. Do I think I deserve money for that “traumatic” event? Nope. Whenever you eat out you take your chances.

Life’s tough, wear a freakin’ helmet.

It’s a salad. From McDonalds. You should expect various forms of wildlife to be in your salad considering most of the people working there don’t even know what lettuce is.

Would I happen to live in America… Hell yea I would sue. Money for nothing and chicks for free!

Then again, I’d rather not go to hell (if there where such a place that is ahem).

Hey, if word gets out that one McDonald’s location has real meat in their food, everyone else will want real meat too.

That will never work!

Well if the trauma was to the extent that she had difficulty eating salads (formed by essential vebetables required for health) then that would extend the damage under negligence.

You ask for 1.7mill because asking for $20 means you will get $5.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
It’s a salad. From McDonalds. You should expect various forms of wildlife to be in your salad [/quote]

LOL. This reminded me of the episode of the simpsons were they showed how hotdogs were made.

[quote]jacross wrote:
Well if the trauma was to the extent that she had difficulty eating salads (formed by essential vebetables required for health) then that would extend the damage under negligence.

You ask for 1.7mill because asking for $20 means you will get $5.[/quote]

Who gives a shit? Does anyone deserve anything over a replacement of their food and possibly several free coupons for something like this?

These same types of people are the reason insurance rates are so high for physicians that many are leaving the profession. How does anyone justify suing for that much money over something like this?

If that’s the case, everytime my order gets screwed up, I should get a few hundred bucks for pain and suffering.

So you’re telling me you wouldn’t sue them?

The lawsuits that come from you Yanks are friggin’ ridiculous. C’mon now, do you honestly need to sue for $1.7 million? What?! She can’t eat salad anymore?

I’ll bet this was probably the first salad the lady has had in a year, and they probably screwed up her order, giving her that instead of the supersized quarter-pounder with cheese meal that she had actually ordered…

Or how about that one a couple years back that forced every take-out restaurant in the world to write the famous, yet completely obvious words of “Caution, hot beverage” on all of their cups…

Thank you Prof for pointing out the physician insurance rates… Just one of the many inflated price tags caused by complete ignorance… One close to home being the recent $1.9 million Ryan Kessler deal on the Vancouver Canucks caused by Bobby Clarke… Sorry, a little bitter there, it hits close to home… haha

Anyways when it comes down to it, no, I wouldn’t sue. Like dre said, “Wear a freakin’ helmet” and get over it!

KJ

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jacross wrote:

Who gives a shit? Does anyone deserve anything over a replacement of their food and possibly several free coupons for something like this?

These same types of people are the reason insurance rates are so high for physicians that many are leaving the profession. How does anyone justify suing for that much money over something like this?

If that’s the case, everytime my order gets screwed up, I should get a few hundred bucks for pain and suffering.[/quote]

1, If they get 1.7mill there is a problem.

2, It is up to Maccas to rebut the argument put forward by the plaintiff.

3, Prof try and get that through the court.

[quote]alownage wrote:
So you’re telling me you wouldn’t sue them?[/quote]

No, I wouldn’t. I would more than likely bitch and complain until I never had to ever pay for a meal again from any of their facilities, and I wouldn’t mind that specific restaurant’s image being shown on tv so they clean up their act.

However, there is no way In hell I would sue someone over something that caused me no true physical harm for anything like what they are asking. We all know that they go for an extreme number so that they can get something less than that but still rewarding. That doesn’t erase the fact that way too many people in this country are using these tactics to get rich quick.

How is anyone sure that these people didn’t put the rat in their food themselves? How big of a freaking salad were they eating that they couldn’t see a 6 INCH RAT sitting in it? It sounds like bullshit at first glance. The sad thing is, even if it is later found out that it is a scam (like the Wendy’s chili finger that turned out to be a hoax), people will still ruin the image of that restaurant.

[quote]jacross wrote:

1, If they get 1.7mill there is a problem.

2, It is up to Maccas to rebut the argument put forward by the plaintiff.

3, Prof try and get that through the court.
[/quote]

But the damage is already done. The simple act of making the claim will now inspire more people to sue for the lamest reasons which does nothing but humiliate many professionals in the long run. I see nothing wrong with suing someone if your life has been shortened or put at risk.

However, suing people because your doctor called you fat “like has actually happened” shows we have let it go too far. You change that by shining a light on these lesser issues and making the people filing these law suits out to be jackasses in public.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
It’s a salad. From McDonalds. You should expect various forms of wildlife to be in your salad considering most of the people working there don’t even know what lettuce is.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA… genius.

I had a friend who worked at Mcdonalds who told me that the box that had Beef burgers coming in said ‘50% beef’.

jacross wrote:

If that’s the case, everytime my order gets screwed up, I should get a few hundred bucks for pain and suffering.[/quote]

An independent board of physicians conducted a massive study and concluded that a fairly small percentage of legitimate malpractice cases are brought before the court. A smaller amount are won.

There SHOULD, however, be a cap on pain and suffering. It’s the relatively small amount of frivolous lawsuits and outlandish verdicts that gets publicized and focused on that lead to widespread misperceptions.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jacross wrote:

If that’s the case, everytime my order gets screwed up, I should get a few hundred bucks for pain and suffering.

An independent board of physicians conducted a massive study and concluded that a fairly small percentage of legitimate malpractice cases are brought before the court. A smaller amount are won.

There SHOULD, however, be a cap on pain and suffering. It’s the relatively small amount of frivolous lawsuits and outlandish verdicts that gets publicized and focused on that lead to widespread misperceptions.
[/quote]

Regardless of any study you read concluding as such, insurance companies are the ones raising prices to astronomical levels based on the simple fact that an ACCUSATION was made. It doesn’t matter how many of them actually won. The damage is done by simply making the claim.

Ummmmmm…

The wife of T.O.'s receivers Coach, huh?

T.O did it, dammitt!!!

Mufasa

if this person got sick and suffered some real permanent damages yes . but if the rat was clean so what ? they’re suing because they got the wrong order ?

The coach sees the rat every day at practice. It couldn’t have been T.O. because the rat wasn’t running his mouth.

[quote]alownage wrote:
So you’re telling me you wouldn’t sue them?[/quote]

What damage was done? Eerie, ookie experience. That’s it. He is a Cowboy coach so he is as much a fraud as that joke Bill Parcells. How that man was ever labeled a genius escapes me. IF he stays through next year, he may be a career .500 coach. Birds of a feather…

jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jacross wrote:

Regardless of any study you read concluding as such, insurance companies are the ones raising prices to astronomical levels based on the simple fact that an ACCUSATION was made. It doesn’t matter how many of them actually won. The damage is done by simply making the claim.[/quote]

Yes, perhaps. But given the fact that many legitimate claims are never raised let alone won, I think that’s just an unfortunate but necessary side-effect. But, like I said, the frivoulous lawsuits that are succesful and the few outlandish verdicts are problems that need to be addressed. Insurance companies wouldn’t raise the insurance to such a degree if the threat of an outlandish verdict wasn’t looming for every malpractice suit.

I think that there should either be a codified damage scheme with set maximums or judges should take more of an activist role in reducing ridiculous monetary judgments of juries when they make them. Just my opinion.