T Nation

Rashad Evans

I am hoping and praying this man leaves the UFC. I have never seen him in one exciting fight, and he always does as little as possible and takes the least risk. I just watched another snooze fest between him and Stephan Bonnar, and I want my 15 minutes back.

I would be really mad if I paid to see a fight and what I got was Rashad Evans. His last five fights have gone to decision, I think that speaks for itself.

Letting him onto the Ultimate Fighter was a huge mistake, because now Dana White is obligated to give more fights to this lazy sack of shit.

damn son, a bit harsh. you didnt see the 7-10 solid takedowns? granted his ground game is borderline nonexistant, but Bonnar hadnt done shit either. hopefully his game will evolve and they can continue to add depth to 205…

His fights are incredibly boring.

He needs to learn some other skills.

damnit I missed it again…do they replay that sometime tonight? I’m sure they do…anyone know for sure?

and so you thought headlining him a thread would somehow be more exciting ?

Rashad had some good skill, but I can’t get excited about him at all. I think he has a future as a UFC gatekeeper, that’s about it.

He’s a very good athlete. Strong takedowns and decent ground control, but thats about it. I agree he is as boring as shit. Kind of the same situation as Matt Lindland, except Lindland’s quirky personality makes him much more interesting outside of the fight.

Hard to tell what Dana is going to do with him. He keeps winning, but nobody wants to watch it.

Some of the heavyweight UFC fighters look like college football players that just fell of the bar-stool and into the octagon. Some of the fights they show will really hurt their ratings and decrease their popularity.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Some of the heavyweight UFC fighters look like college football players that just fell of the bar-stool and into the octagon. Some of the fights they show will really hurt their ratings and decrease their popularity.[/quote]

how about that fight tonight with macdonald and rothaermel ? jees-z that dude kristian flops over yelling “here ! here !” and macdonald FINALLY gets it and snaps the arm bar. that shit looked like old-skool wwf.

who else was REALLY disappointed by Leben’s performance? i mean the guy supposedly had an iron chin…and got KO’ed in less than a minute. oh yeah, hominick vs grugel fight. hominick puts on THE worst show i’ve ever seen. i agree he did what he had to do to win the fight but still…RUNNING away just to avoid the take down? that’s just pansy like.

[quote]j281 wrote:
who else was REALLY disappointed by Leben’s performance? i mean the guy supposedly had an iron chin…and got KO’ed in less than a minute.
[/quote]

He faced someone who really knew how to strike.

[quote]
oh yeah, hominick vs grugel fight. hominick puts on THE worst show i’ve ever seen. i agree he did what he had to do to win the fight but still…RUNNING away just to avoid the take down? that’s just pansy like. [/quote]

I think this is going to be the main problem the UFC sees. The people who tune in or pay for the fights don’t want to see smart athletes doing what they need to do to win, they want to see slugfests. I enjoyed the H v G fight. I imagine I’m pretty alone in that though.

-Dan

[quote]j281 wrote:
who else was REALLY disappointed by Leben’s performance? i mean the guy supposedly had an iron chin…and got KO’ed in less than a minute. oh yeah, hominick vs grugel fight. hominick puts on THE worst show i’ve ever seen. i agree he did what he had to do to win the fight but still…RUNNING away just to avoid the take down? that’s just pansy like. [/quote]

AGREED!

I dont see rashad improving at all. He’s been off the show and training with greg jackson for a while now and the only thing he’s improved is his body fat.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
j281 wrote:
who else was REALLY disappointed by Leben’s performance? i mean the guy supposedly had an iron chin…and got KO’ed in less than a minute.

He faced someone who really knew how to strike.

oh yeah, hominick vs grugel fight. hominick puts on THE worst show i’ve ever seen. i agree he did what he had to do to win the fight but still…RUNNING away just to avoid the take down? that’s just pansy like.

I think this is going to be the main problem the UFC sees. The people who tune in or pay for the fights don’t want to see smart athletes doing what they need to do to win, they want to see slugfests. I enjoyed the H v G fight. I imagine I’m pretty alone in that though.

-Dan[/quote]

i liked that fight also. i thought gurgel had it.

i disagree with that comment about “running away just to avoid a takedown” is a pansy move though. hominick clearly had a strategy and wanted no part of gurgel’s ground game, with good reason: he would have lost.

look what happened to fellow kickboxer sam stout last week. there are no “style points” awarded.

not taking care of business because you’re worried about what you’ll look like would be “pansy”.

genki sudo did quite a bit of “running away” when he beat butterbean. is sudo a pansy ?

Rashad is my posterboy for the need to revamp the UFC’s scoring system. Points need to be awarded for submission attempts, and points not awarded for simple takedowns…slams yes…takedown into the opponent’s guard, no.

What happens if Rashad progresses enough with this style to take a belt at some point in his future? I will not pay to see title fights featuring a guy who does nothing but score takedowns and sit in his opponents guard with his elbows in to avoid submissions.

He is a very good athlete, but he needs to learn some ground skills that actually allow him to finish a fight rather than avoid submissions and sit in there for the win.

How about Luke Cummo’s fight?

He lost but he lost well.

Would someone please teach Rashad a finishing move? I’ll settle for a figure 4 leg lock or a german suplex off the top rope. Just something!

[quote]nolecat wrote:
Would someone please teach Rashad a finishing move? I’ll settle for a figure 4 leg lock or a german suplex off the top rope. Just something! [/quote]

i thought i saw him try the cobra-clutch last night.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Rashad is my posterboy for the need to revamp the UFC’s scoring system. Points need to be awarded for submission attempts, and points not awarded for simple takedowns…slams yes…takedown into the opponent’s guard, no.[/quote]

I hate Evans style as much as everyone else, but how would this solve anything?

Every one of Evans’ takedowns on Bonnar was a big-time slam. They weren’t wimpy little single-legs or bodylock trips. He was ragdolling Bonnar all night long. No matter how you score takedowns, every one of Rashad’s takedowns on Bonnar did damage in their own right.

Personally, I’d like to see the UFC adopt the Pride card system. Dock a fighters pay every time he lays in a guys guard (Evans), and dock his pay everytime he turns his back and runs away in order to avoid a takedown (Alessio, Hominick).

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Rashad is my posterboy for the need to revamp the UFC’s scoring system. Points need to be awarded for submission attempts, and points not awarded for simple takedowns…slams yes…takedown into the opponent’s guard, no.

I hate Evans style as much as everyone else, but how would this solve anything?

Every one of Evans’ takedowns on Bonnar was a big-time slam. They weren’t wimpy little single-legs or bodylock trips. He was ragdolling Bonnar all night long. No matter how you score takedowns, every one of Rashad’s takedowns on Bonnar did damage in their own right.

Personally, I’d like to see the UFC adopt the Pride card system. Dock a fighters pay every time he lays in a guys guard (Evans), and dock his pay everytime he turns his back and runs away in order to avoid a takedown (Alessio, Hominick).[/quote]

I don’t think docking their pay would do as much in the UFC…maybe the threat of docking points on the judges scorecards, but with the payscales the way they are, 10% of 2000 bucks would only cost them a night at the strip club.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to his fight with Bonnar, but his fight with Hogar would’ve definitely been scored differently. I don’t really have a great solution, but I’m just throwing out ideas because something needs to change.