-Push Press
-Olympic Lifts
-Good Morning
-Romanian Deadlift
-Dumbbell Swing
-Barbell/Dumbbell Hold
-Farmer’s Walk…

I NEVER see anyone perform these.

They’re hard and there’s no real bragging rights.

[quote]Alex_HW wrote:
How about:

-Deadlift
-Back/Front/Overhead Squat
-Dumbbell/Barbell Lunges
-Dumbbell/Barbell Standing Overhead Press
-Push Press
-Olympic Lifts
-Good Morning
-Romanian Deadlift
-Dumbbell Swing
-Barbell/Dumbbell Hold
-Farmer’s Walk…

I NEVER see anyone perform these. [/quote]

They’re rare alright, but not as rare as the five I mentioned. It’s a good thing you mentioned these though because a lot of people these days love countless sets of curls and benches.

[quote]Fitnessdiva wrote:
They’re hard and there’s no real bragging rights.[/quote]

Aww. I always thought that someone who can do 20 muscle-ups is a damn strong individual with a lot of endurance. And can you imagine if you can do a 1-handed muscle-up?

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I wonder why I rarely see people do these exercises:
-Olympic lifts w/ chains/bands[/quote]

Have these even been performed by anyone?

I’ve never seen anyone perform hack squats, bent presses, and turkish get-ups either.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
I wonder why I rarely see people do these exercises:
-Olympic lifts w/ chains/bands

Have these even been performed by anyone?

.[/quote]

Not in person but Travis Mash over at Elitefts was toying around with this for awhile.

I’d guess it’s because most people are scared of most of those movements or something. That or they’re just too uneducated.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Alex_HW wrote:
How about:

-Deadlift
-Back/Front/Overhead Squat
-Dumbbell/Barbell Lunges
-Dumbbell/Barbell Standing Overhead Press
-Push Press
-Olympic Lifts
-Good Morning
-Romanian Deadlift
-Dumbbell Swing
-Barbell/Dumbbell Hold
-Farmer’s Walk…

I NEVER see anyone perform these.

They’re rare alright, but not as rare as the five I mentioned. It’s a good thing you mentioned these though because a lot of people these days love countless sets of curls and benches.[/quote]

That’s fine with me, keeps them out of the only squat rack my gym has.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Fitnessdiva wrote:
They’re hard and there’s no real bragging rights.

Aww. I always thought that someone who can do 20 muscle-ups is a damn strong individual with a lot of endurance. And can you imagine if you can do a 1-handed muscle-up?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure the average gym goer(the one who would be concerned with bragging rights) doesn’t even know what a muscle up is. So, I agree, no bragging rights. Now a 315lb quarter bench/partner assisted upright row, THATS impressive!!!

I just did a search on T-Nation and couldn’t find an example of a “muscle-up.” What is that?

You just reminded me of…

Overhead Squats
Lunges
Suitcase Deadlifts

Gotta start doing these.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
I just did a search on T-Nation and couldn’t find an example of a “muscle-up.” What is that?[/quote]

Its like a pull-up + dip in one exercise:

http://www.beastskills.com/MuscleUp.htm

didn’t know what it was either.

wikipedia had a good image.

some of those moves are technical and most trainers in a gym aren’t well versed in technical moves so i dont blame them for not doing them.

The other reasons are down to taking it easy and mimicry of other gym goers.

All this mention of lunges reminds me to add them as variation for legs though.

I’ve seen about 2 other people other than myself do deadlifts in my gym. I agree with gswork, it’s what the trainers are comfortable with. It only takes a couple of minutes to show someone how to use a machine but it takes a coach to teach someone to deadlift, or any of the exercises listed in this thread.

might be a bit off topic…
you know what i think they should have at every gym… a climbing rope. theres an exercise you don’t see everyday. that would be the shizzle

you can only do so many exercises at once, so if something is more comfortable/works better for someone, theres not much sense in doing something more awkward just for the sake of it

that being said, many of the exercises mentioned should be staples in most peoples training (in my mind)

of most things, alot of it is any exercise actually performed with “good” form, any hard leg exercise, ie, full squats, front squats, bulgarian split squats, real hack squats (in 1.5+ years, i am the only person i’ve ever seen incorporate these at my gym of 5-6000 people, and i work there at all hours so its not like i’m just missing it), reverse hyperextensions, overhead squats, overhead shrugs, jerks, etc

I’ve done most of this exercises on the list…I feel special

Alex’s list seems pretty accurate. Funny thing is the bigger lads at the gym I go to are the ones who do said exercises on that list with good form and they do use a lot of weight.

Strange enough I never see anyone doing a proper bent-over row, maybe it’s a flexibility issue? I know there is a Yates row, but Yates is a freak of nature and needed a way to further develop his already massive back. Thoughts on this?