Rapper Incarcerated Off Lyrics

Here is a story, you may not have heard but isn’t current. This is pretty well known in the reggaeton scene, but probably not so much in the Anglo Sphere. Long story short, there was a PR Rapper named Tempo, he was immensenly popular gangster-rapper reggaeton artist, in several of his songs he claimed he was personally involved in drug trafficking and criminal activities. The feds nabbed Tempo, put him on trial and used his lyrics that he wrote in the first person about his experiences as a means to convict him of the levied charges. He is serving between 20-30 years.

Do you think this is just? Why or why not? Why has this only happened in Puerto Rico? Why not put Puffy, and Fifty on trial for their musical confession of guilt?

To be honest, I find this kind of humorous, I can imagine the trial. “So you’re saying in these songs, which are linked to your image are untrue?” “Yes.” “So you profit from selling lies to the public?” “No.” “So you weren’t lying then?” “No.” “Aaaahhhh. So the truth finally comes out. If you would lie to your clientele, why wouldn’t you lie to us, look here at line 37 of the popular, ‘Gangbang and Murder,’ track, in here you describe…” lol.

"Post script regarding Tempo’s sentence & appeal:
As the story goes, just as Tempo was about to sign with an American record label, he was arrested and incarcerated. Now, doing over twenty years at a federal prison in Puerto Rico, his future is remains uncertain. An appeal is underway and he may once again see the light of day. If such is not the case it would be a shame to see his talents go to waste. For now enjoy him for what he once was. With vocals capable of crafting the perfect rhyme, these sixteen trailblazing tracks are indispensable for anyone with the slightest interest in the history of reggaeton. "

FreeTempo.org

Did he actually do the things he wrote about? If so, he should be in jail.

Rappers are just entertainers

If you start putting them in jail for making stories up, then you should have to put Vin Diesle in jail for all the people he’s killed in his movies

or all the poets that write about murder

hell, who hasnt said that they would kill another person, we should all be in jail if that was the case

I personally think, the government was trying to send a message to the gangsta community, but rather than going after the actual “big boys” in the game, they got an actor portraying a drug dealer

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

If you start putting them in jail for making stories up, then you should have to put Vin Diesle in jail for all the people he’s killed in his movies

hell, who hasnt said that they would kill another person, we should all be in jail if that was the case

I personally think, the government was trying to send a message to the gangsta community, but rather than going after the actual “big boys” in the game, they got an actor portraying a drug dealer[/quote]

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

I personally think, the government was trying to send a message to the gangsta community, but rather than going after the actual “big boys” in the game, they got an actor portraying a drug dealer

Did he actually do the things he wrote about? If so, he should be in jail.[/quote]

I agree totally, but there is no real probable cause here. So even if he did do these crimes, and got arrested for rapping about them without any real evidence than he should “legally” be set free, right?

I’m not advocating murder or drug dealing or any of that, but I’m saying that in this case the law would be wrong here, especially for going after someone who “mightve” versus the dudes that actually “have”

ya know?

i would assume that he said something about the case in one of his songs that only someone livolved would have known.

with that being said, you have to prove that someone did something to convict them, and need evidence that suggests they did it to arrest them (and really, most cops i know won’t make an arrest unless they’re going to get a conviction).

weird…

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

I agree totally, but there is no real probable cause here. So even if he did do these crimes, and got arrested for rapping about them without any real evidence than he should “legally” be set free, right?

I’m not advocating murder or drug dealing or any of that, but I’m saying that in this case the law would be wrong here, especially for going after someone who “mightve” versus the dudes that actually “have”

ya know?
[/quote]

If he did it, he should be in jail. Why does it matter how he was convicted?

If he did it, he should be in jail.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i would assume that he said something about the case in one of his songs that only someone livolved would have known.

with that being said, you have to prove that someone did something to convict them, and need evidence that suggests they did it to arrest them (and really, most cops i know won’t make an arrest unless they’re going to get a conviction).

weird…[/quote]

If the question is “should he be in jail?”, the only moral is answer would be “if he did it, he should be in jail”.

If I kill someone but it can not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, I still killed someone and I deserve to be in jail.

I am not familiar with the case. I doubt he was convicted solely on rap lyrics, but again I wouldn’t know.

Do we really care if he received a 100% fair trial if he did indeed do it? I don’t.

I seriously doubt that this was the only evidence. Also as previously mentioned, if the describes details of actual crimes that took place, that were unknown to the public, why wouldn?t it be admissible? It would at least show that he had some connection to specific, real crimes.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

ya know?

[/quote]

Because if law enforcement starts to bend the rules because they know he did it they will soon start to bend them if they strongly feel he did it or if they think he did something else or shit like that.

I´d rather have him go free than seeing scores of people in jail who did not do anything.

Lesson: Don’t confess to crimes you do not want to be prosecuted for.

[quote]orion wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

ya know?

Because if law enforcement starts to bend the rules because they know he did it they will soon start to bend them if they strongly feel he did it or if they think he did something else or shit like that.

I´d rather have him go free than seeing scores of people in jail who did not do anything.

[/quote]

I’d rather have him go to jail if he did it and not see score of people in jail who did not do anything.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
orion wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

ya know?

I’d rather have him go to jail if he did it and not see score of people in jail who did not do anything.[/quote]

And I would like to be Jessica Albas boy toy.

In the mean time let us stick to rules that keep the law enforcement systems we have so that you have a fighting chance if you are innocent.

We have several members on this board who say that a cop lied in court because of a speed ticket.

What is the same cop going to do if he just feels it in his heart that you killed someone even though you did not?

[quote]And I would like to be Jessica Albas boy toy.

In the mean time let us stick to rules that keep the law enforcement systems we have so that you have a fighting chance if you are innocent.

We have several members on this board who say that a cop lied in court because of a speed ticket.

What is the same cop going to do if he just feels it in his heart that you killed someone even though you did not?[/quote]
Well if your stage name was O-Murda, based off your first name Orion (hypothetically), and then the suffix you most associate yourself with. And inaddition to this, you had built your reputation of your own criminal infamy, and had sold great amounts of records due to your ‘realness’; ie that you’re not lying to your consumers about your exploits. Would it be unfair or unrealistic, to use your own words from these very ‘real’ lyrics, in a trial against you for a murder you’d been linked to?

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
And I would like to be Jessica Albas boy toy.

What is the same cop going to do if he just feels it in his heart that you killed someone even though you did not?
Well if your stage name was O-Murda, based off your first name Orion (hypothetically), and then the suffix you most associate yourself with. And inaddition to this, you had built your reputation of your own criminal infamy, and had sold great amounts of records due to your ‘realness’; ie that you’re not lying to your consumers about your exploits. Would it be unfair or unrealistic, to use your own words from these very ‘real’ lyrics, in a trial against you for a murder you’d been linked to?[/quote]

you would still have to be able to prove he did it.

if they have other evidence that he indeed did commit those crimes then theres no reason that it should not be treated as a confession.

but if all they have it lyrics then no. he’d probably lie just to keep his “cred”

time to go find my EZ-E tapes and get myself a 40 of mickey’s. check it.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

Do we really care if he received a 100% fair trial if he did indeed do it? I don’t.[/quote]

you should, because the rules are that if you cant prove someone did something beyond a reasonable doubt they are innocent.

youre basically arguing that someone should go to jail based on a hunch.

we cant prove 100% that you did it…but we just have a good feeling that you did, so now youre in jail for 30 years. kthxbai

There would need to be more, WAY more evidence than his lyrics. Dude you have no idea to what level the Feds will go to make their case. Wire taps, controlled buys, confidential informants (one of these bastards is how I got in trouble), there is no limit to what they will do. They will threaten to subpoena your family, their resources are unlimited. The rate of conviction in the Feds is 97%, do you want to tangle with odds like that?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
cycobushmaster wrote:

Do we really care if he received a 100% fair trial if he did indeed do it? I don’t.[/quote]

If he didn’t receive a 100% fair trial, then how can you be SURE he did it? Is there some omnipotent being in the court room saying… “that’s the guy, no doubt…fuck evidence.”?

Nah, who cares about “rights” and “laws” and whatnot?

Waterboard him, I say.

He’ll confess to any crimes you want.