Raping Wendler

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
The Wendler is officially taking legal action. This is his life work we’re talking about. He uses the money he makes from this to feed his family. Legal action takes time though so The Wendler was just getting the word out that he is not affiliated with this rip off product. Aside from copyright issues he does not want to be associated with such a poorly put together product. Kinda hard though when the Application is using his name.[/quote]

Sounds like a cease-and-desist letter from a 300-pound Samoan attorney with a Messianic complex so horrible he thinks he’s doomed to die at 32 like Jesus, and is already 32 and a half, is in order.[/quote]

Or a horse’s head slipped between the sheets of his bed.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
It’s a free app. How is this any different than any number of homemade 5 3 1 spreadsheets that have circulated around here (among other sites)?

james[/quote]

There is also a paid version of the app. I think it’s mostly about attaching Wendler’s name to the app but there are others that also do this. Perhaps the only real reason it is being singled out is the charge for it.[/quote]

apparently there is a version of this same app on itunes for purchase. Im at work so maybe someone can verify that?[/quote]

I don’t know about itunes but I checked Amazon apps which has two versions one free and one for $1.99.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

The Wendler is officially taking legal action. This is his life work we’re talking about. He uses the money he makes from this to feed his family. Legal action takes time though so The Wendler was just getting the word out that he is not affiliated with this rip off product. Aside from copyright issues he does not want to be associated with such a poorly put together product. Kinda hard though when the Application is using his name.[/quote]

Sounds like a cease-and-desist letter from a 300-pound Samoan attorney with a Messianic complex so horrible he thinks he’s doomed to die at 32 like Jesus, and is already 32 and a half, is in order.[/quote]

As your attorney, I advice you to leave this room at once.

As your ex-attorney, I advise you not to worry.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The issue isn’t using the system, the issue is attaching Wendler’s name to it, calling it the Wendler 5/3/1 App and then putting it out there. It creates the impression that Wendler endorses the App, which he does not.

Besides, isn’t P90X patented and copyrighted material? Aside from its staggering difference in awesomeness, what is the difference between the 5/3/1 program and the P90X program? You can make an App that lays out a program of high-rep, bodyweight exercises or whatever P90X is, but you can’t put the P90X name on it without their permission, let alone make any money off of it this way.

I don’t know if the guy plans on making money with this, but that’s actually immaterial to the whole discussion anyways, since he can’t attach Wendler’s name to it regardless.

And I’m not entirely sure you’re correct in assertion about patenting a system of movements and “natural law”. I suppose the recipe analogy was poor and the songwriting one may be irrelevant, but I’d like the opinion of a licensed, practicing contract law attorney. I think Jewbacca is an attorney who works in the area of contract law. Maybe he will come across this thread and clear things up for us.[/quote]

Yeah, I should have stated I’m not an expert on it, just a programmer who’s spent a fair bit of time looking at patent and copyright related laws. I don’t know exactly what P90X has, but like you said it’s probably just copyrighting on the materials and trademarking etc - which is all fair enough.

If, however I was wrong about systems of exercise being subject to patent - ie. someone being able to slap a patent on ‘do 3 x 10 with intensities x% y% z% and rest for exactly 2 minutes 48 second between sets, and increase the intensity by w% over the next workout’ - then no matter how specific, it would be a really crappy day that a patent on that system would be granted. Because eventually you’d see the exercise world sliced up into little segments of ‘truth’ that each IP holder has the right to exclude others from using… including just a guy or girl who wants to work out in a certain way.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who’s a proper lawyer though :slight_smile:

[quote]perseng wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The issue isn’t using the system, the issue is attaching Wendler’s name to it, calling it the Wendler 5/3/1 App and then putting it out there. It creates the impression that Wendler endorses the App, which he does not.

Besides, isn’t P90X patented and copyrighted material? Aside from its staggering difference in awesomeness, what is the difference between the 5/3/1 program and the P90X program? You can make an App that lays out a program of high-rep, bodyweight exercises or whatever P90X is, but you can’t put the P90X name on it without their permission, let alone make any money off of it this way.

I don’t know if the guy plans on making money with this, but that’s actually immaterial to the whole discussion anyways, since he can’t attach Wendler’s name to it regardless.

And I’m not entirely sure you’re correct in assertion about patenting a system of movements and “natural law”. I suppose the recipe analogy was poor and the songwriting one may be irrelevant, but I’d like the opinion of a licensed, practicing contract law attorney. I think Jewbacca is an attorney who works in the area of contract law. Maybe he will come across this thread and clear things up for us.[/quote]

Yeah, I should have stated I’m not an expert on it, just a programmer who’s spent a fair bit of time looking at patent and copyright related laws. I don’t know exactly what P90X has, but like you said it’s probably just copyrighting on the materials and trademarking etc - which is all fair enough.

If, however I was wrong about systems of exercise being subject to patent - ie. someone being able to slap a patent on ‘do 3 x 10 with intensities x% y% z% and rest for exactly 2 minutes 48 second between sets, and increase the intensity by w% over the next workout’ - then no matter how specific, it would be a really crappy day that a patent on that system would be granted. Because eventually you’d see the exercise world sliced up into little segments of ‘truth’ that each IP holder has the right to exclude others from using… including just a guy or girl who wants to work out in a certain way.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who’s a proper lawyer though :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Yeah, I wonder about the specificity of the “system” in question. I wonder if the courts decide that something can be sufficiently unique so as to warrant a patent or that something is sufficiently generic and cannot. I think Wendler’s is about as specific as they come regarding the main exercise. I guess I’d have to say that his views on accessory lifts make them ineligible for patenting since they are so generalized; dips, chins, rows, good mornings, etc for high reps, moderate weight basically.

But I’m curious to know if that is even relevant to the discussion. I can’t imagine that they’d take it upon themselves to determine whether something is unique enough to be patented. I suppose that would mean the courts would have to be knowledgeable in many different, random areas in order to know whether something is generic or unique compared to the community standard. I can’t imagine there are many judges out there who know enough to know that Wendler’s system falls into partially into both categories.

We need a fucking lawyer. They’re all over the goddamned place until you actually want to see one.

This is not my field of expertise, but his system is probably not something that could be patented.

“Whoever invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent therefor, subject to the conditions and requirements of this title.” 35 USC § 101

It would probably be difficult to prove the requirements of novelty and nonobviousness. He would be more likely to find protection under trademark or copyright law. But this depends on what material the app is using and what kind of protection Wendler has applied for. The one sure point is that the app developer cannot use Wendler’s name for commercial purposes without his consent.

“5/3/1” itself potentially has copyright written all over it.

And it’s not like I can invent 6/4/2 and market that, the mechanics would be too similar to 5/3/1.

Under Product Description in Amazon it states “Helps track and manage the 5/3/1 lifting program designed by Jim Wendler as he describes in “5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength.””.

So he(?) is taking credit for JW’s work to market his product (the app).

Don’t get me started on Starting Strength and Stronglifts…

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
“Obsession is the mortal enemy of apathy.” -DB Cooper[/quote]

Explain this one good Sir.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
It would probably be difficult to prove the requirements of novelty and nonobviousness. He would be more likely to find protection under trademark or copyright law. But this depends on what material the app is using and what kind of protection Wendler has applied for. The one sure point is that the app developer cannot use Wendler’s name for commercial purposes without his consent.[/quote]

In a nutshell.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Explain this one good Sir.[/quote]

^ X2

obsession and apathy are opposites

This pisses me off as a programmer. There are a few 5/3/1 apps out there and they would be very easy to program and put online. The programmer can easily make $1 per download. On the realm of the internet, something in the range of a 300,000 - 1,000,000 is pretty easy. This guy could be making a LOT of money, all based off a little work + stealing Jim Wendler’s program and marketing.

I considered approaching Jim and offering to make a free app that he could bundle with the book, in order for me to get my name out a bit. Now seeing this I won’t bother.

Lol, I have actually been using this app for months. You know it never even occurred to me that Jim would be mad about this, because I didn’t imagine people would get the app exclusively. I bought the 5/3/1 book and read it a few times, and then found the app as a convenient way to get my numbers for the day. I guess it was naive of me to think people wouldn’t get the app without first having read the book. You just can’t really do it without reading what the whole thing is about.

No offense to Jim. I think he’s perfectly fine. I paid for his 5/3/1 ebook largely because I’d been using his system based on the T-Nation article and I wanted to help him support his family. I’d say that was 50% of the motivation, the other 50% was to see the assistance work. After I bought the book I read it and realized about half of the book is just people saying “This system works great!” and the assistance work info. was largely giving a description of basic standard exercises.

Anyway…I still think Jim is a nice guy. I bought some stuff from ELITEFTS and thought I was supposed to get free shipping, but when I didn’t I complained and they explained I had to spend over $50 bucks and I’d only spent $48 and when I explained back that I was not aware of this and had I known I would have bought something for $3 bucks to save $8 bucks in shipping they kindly refunded my shipping money. I’ll order from them in the future for this.

Anyway…5/3/1 is his life’s work? Pretty much the first sentence of the T-mag article says he thought it up on a napkin. He’s constantly saying there’s nothing to it. The dude using Jim’s name against Jim’s wishes is an ass no doubt about it.

Not sure where I went with that. Hope it clears things up.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Explain this one good Sir.[/quote]
If you obsess over something it’s hard to become apathetic about it.

Am I the only one who took the title of this thread literally

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
Am I the only one who took the title of this thread literally [/quote]

Don’t think you know what the word rape means

[quote]csulli wrote:
Lol, I have actually been using this app for months. You know it never even occurred to me that Jim would be mad about this, because I didn’t imagine people would get the app exclusively. I bought the 5/3/1 book and read it a few times, and then found the app as a convenient way to get my numbers for the day. I guess it was naive of me to think people wouldn’t get the app without first having read the book. You just can’t really do it without reading what the whole thing is about.[/quote]

It’s unfortunate but the larger population just doesn’t want to read the book and are too tight ass to expend a very reasonable amount to get some education from a well respected trainer like JW. And it isn’t even difficult to get through the material in a couple hours anyway.

So if they can find a cheap app, they’ll use it just to get what they are interested in - the loading parameters. I usually direct about a dozen to buying the book every year. Maybe 1 in 5 buy it. With an app out I suspect I’d be lucky to have 1 in 10 or 12 buying it each year.

Ahhh … the attention span of the new generation.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
Am I the only one who took the title of this thread literally [/quote]
I did to, before reading the topic.

people need an app to workout? This is perhaps the bigger issue.

from facebook.[/quote]

I respect Jim Wendler, I think the guy knows what he’s talking about, I use his system and have had and still am getting great results.

That being said, I think it’s fucking retarded he would imply that he wouldn’t endorse an APP for his system. I mean, he endorsed a template he’s never used in his newest edition of 5/3/1 (Read the Fullbody section), what would be wrong with having a competent programmer make a decent 531 app and endorse it? (Not the duche that made the APP in question, that thing is garbage IMO) I get he’s the kind of guy who likes to write down his workouts, but there is nothing wrong with using technology.

I bring a PDF of my workout plan on my smartphone and check it in the gym in case I forget a weight or when I start/stop my timer when I’m resting. I would guess some members in this Forum do something similar if not the same.

In fact, Wendler could make some money if he backed up a great 531 app. Wouldn’t he?