Rape Victim Denied Pill

[quote]lucasa wrote:
And we should allow this based on your interpretation of a 1500 yr. old book and your personal feelings?

Pure genius.[/quote]

Somebody needs a calendar.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Remedy? Treatment? Abortion?

She was raped. The last time I checked, pregnancy from wanted, or un-wanted means, is not a disease. Nor does it require immediate medical treatment.

When did life get so cheap? And who are you to judge what quality of life can be had by the product of a rape?

What happened to her was horrible, but geez - some of you are in an awful huge hurry to get pissed at the doctor who decided to exercise his own moral compass while never viloating the hypocratic oath. [/quote]

Since when do you get to make the decision in place of the victim? Are you better informed than she is as to whether she’s ready to have and support a baby at this time? Maybe you could adopt it, since you already envision a quality life for him.

The doctor is paid to exercise medecine, not to substitute his morals for her own. If that’s what he wants to do, he should become a pastor, or start posting on internet forums.

[quote]futuredave wrote:

Somebody needs a calendar.[/quote]

Yeah, this wouldn’t be an absolutely retarded tangent.

[quote]pookie wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Remedy? Treatment? Abortion?

She was raped. The last time I checked, pregnancy from wanted, or un-wanted means, is not a disease. Nor does it require immediate medical treatment.

When did life get so cheap? And who are you to judge what quality of life can be had by the product of a rape?

What happened to her was horrible, but geez - some of you are in an awful huge hurry to get pissed at the doctor who decided to exercise his own moral compass while never viloating the hypocratic oath.

Since when do you get to make the decision in place of the victim? Are you better informed than she is as to whether she’s ready to have and support a baby at this time? Maybe you could adopt it, since you already envision a quality life for him.

The doctor is paid to exercise medecine, not to substitute his morals for her own. If that’s what he wants to do, he should become a pastor, or start posting on internet forums.
[/quote]

Since when has RU 486 been an SOP for treatment of rape victims? Since when has it been adopted as an emergency treatment?

The doc did what he was supposed to do. She wanted elective treatment that he did not want to perform, or prescribe.

You can do better than this, Pookie. But I do appreciate all the extra attention you have given me in the last 8 - 10 hours.

[quote]pookie wrote:

[/quote]

When did killing kids (in the doc’s view) become exercising medicine?

[quote]doogie wrote:
pookie wrote:

When did killing kids (in the doc’s view) become exercising medicine?[/quote]

To go along with your position, the very moment that a decision arises to either end a baby’s life or allow that child to end the life of the mother. These things happen as well, you know. I wonder what the moral delimma would be in this situation.

As has already been discussed about private or non-private hospitals, I have no problem with this if this were a private hospital that made it clear what they will or won’t do. This guy was apparently not OBGYN either.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Since when has RU 486 been an SOP for treatment of rape victims? Since when has it been adopted as an emergency treatment?
[/quote]

It hasn’t, and it was never mentioned in relation to this case. Different drugs, differnt uses, different situations. Wake up rainman, and do a little reading. I could try and explain the difference to you but I might have to use big words, and I don’t want to make you have to get into the Natural Lite too early today.

[quote]JPBear wrote:
I was gang raped by strangers at the age of 13. At the hospital I was given the morning after pill. The pain of having potentially killed a child is far worse to me than any lingering emotional pain from the rape. Their sin was horrible, but my sin was worse.
[/quote]

Wow. You are completely nuts.

There was no sin by you, and those guys will get what’s coming eventually. I can’t believe you think what you did was somehow worse…wow…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Since when has RU 486 been an SOP for treatment of rape victims? Since when has it been adopted as an emergency treatment?[/quote]

Who’s talking about standard treatment? Nobody’s asking the doctor to give it as part of SOP.

She’s asking for legal treatment and having it refused.

There are parts of my job I don’t enjoy; unfortunately, I have to do them or I won’t get to keep my job.

So what the doctor wants or believes or prefers is irrelevant. If he personally doesn’t want a vasectomy, that’s fine. But he’s got no business imposing his views on others.

[quote]You can do better than this, Pookie. But I do appreciate all the extra attention you have given me in the last 8 - 10 hours.
[/quote]

I’m your number one fan.

[quote]doogie wrote:
When did killing kids (in the doc’s view) become exercising medicine?[/quote]

Whe did the doc’s view become an acceptable substitute for the client’s wishes? The final decision is hers, not his.

[quote]tme wrote:
rainjack wrote:

It hasn’t, and it was never mentioned in relation to this case. Different drugs, differnt uses, different situations. Wake up rainman, and do a little reading. I could try and explain the difference to you but I might have to use big words, and I don’t want to make you have to get into the Natural Lite too early today.
[/quote]

Good Lord - RU 486 is the original “morning after pill”. Pardon me if I over stepped and assmumed that the readers would be able to keep up - I forgot about the more simpled minded folks like yourself.

And for the last time - it Keystone Light, and I never crack a can before 11:00 a.m. central.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Who’s talking about standard treatment? Nobody’s asking the doctor to give it as part of SOP.

[/quote]

The adminisration of the morning after pill is an elective treatment - not emergency treatment. She was in the emergency room.

It might well be a legal treatment, but it is not emergency treatment - and I think the doctor had every right to refuse patient requested elective treatment in the ER.

If it is her choice to kill a kid - then she should go find a doctor that agrees with those sorts of protocol - not get pissed at an ER doc.

[quote]pookie wrote:
rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

It was not refused. She was referred to her OB/GYN and he gave her the script. This is exactly how it should happen regardless of the ER docs position on abortion.

Her OB/GYN is more qualified for the task.

When I broke my nose the ER doc did not want to set my nose. I went to the best nose surgeon in the area the next day and he and his assistant took 1/2 hour and 2 metal bars up my nose to set it straight.

When I split my forehead open the ER doc sent for a plastic surgeon to stitch me up rather than do it himself.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
pookie wrote:
rainjack wrote:

It was not refused. She was referred to her OB/GYN and he gave her the script. This is exactly how it should happen regardless of the ER docs position on abortion.

When I broke my nose the ER doc did not want to set my nose. I went to the best nose surgeon in the area the next day and he and his assistant took 1/2 hour and 2 metal bars up my nose to set it straight.

When I split my forehead open the ER doc sent for a plastic surgeon to stitch me up rather than do it himself.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.[/quote]

You really need to stop leading with your face.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.[/quote]

I forgot about the high level of skill and training required to give someone a pill.

You certainly don’t want a hack using his left hand or holding it with the wrong fingers as he hands it to you. Only a certified pillgiverologist should be trusted.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The adminisration of the morning after pill is an elective treatment - not emergency treatment. She was in the emergency room. [/quote]

I like how your little bureaucratic mind works. She should’ve asked where was the elective room.

While not an emergency in the sense that her life is not depending on it, time is still of the essence. If the docs and pharmacists can keep refering her around for 9 months, I guess she won’t need the pill anymore.

What kid? There’s no kid here. She wants to prevent the pregnancy that would produce the kid.

[quote]pookie wrote:
I forgot about the high level of skill and training required to give someone a pill.

You certainly don’t want a hack using his left hand or holding it with the wrong fingers as he hands it to you. Only a certified pillgiverologist should be trusted.

[/quote]

Why don’t we just sell them all OTC?

[quote]pookie wrote:
I like how your little bureaucratic mind works. She should’ve asked where was the elective room.[/quote]

No - she should have done exactly what she did, and go to her ob/gyn and get the script from him/her.

It has nothing to do with bureaucracy. Common fucking sense has to come into play somewhere in that wrinkly brain of yours.

Yes - and if you were any more obtusely absurd with your thought process, you could be the Chairman of the DNC.

[quote]What kid? There’s no kid here. She wants to prevent the pregnancy that would produce the kid.
[/quote]

Holy hell - is this the trail we are taking? When does life begin? I think everyone knows your “mass of cells” theory on that topic.

Had the doctor endangered the life of the patient by exercising his moral compass, you might have some semblance of a point. But he didn’t and you don’t. You are just bitching to bitch.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

[quote]JPBear wrote:
I was gang raped by strangers at the age of 13. At the hospital I was given the morning after pill. The pain of having potentially killed a child is far worse to me than any lingering emotional pain from the rape. Their sin was horrible, but my sin was worse.

FightinIrish26 wrote:
Wow. You are completely nuts.

There was no sin by you, and those guys will get what’s coming eventually. I can’t believe you think what you did was somehow worse…wow…[/quote]

There are a couple of things I find particularly disturbing:

1. The fact that she’d rather blame her parents’ “mockery” of religion for her troubled teen and adult years than that pivotal, highly damaging, event that is a much more likely culprit

2. The fact that although I thoroughly explained in another thread that NOWHERE in the Bible there is any condemnation of abortion as being akin to murder, not even in the Old Testament, and neither there is absolutely any mention of ensoulment before birth (in fact, all mentions of the subject point to ensoulment only occurring after the first month) she continues to believe that by aborting she indeed committed murder – even though she presented no argument against my analysis.

Hopefully one day she will realize that in fact, she certainly did not kill a child. She simply exercised her God-given right to avoid (or correct) a horrible mistake. And that no crime is worse than torture – and rape IS one of the most horrible forms of torture.

Part of me wishes her assailants do burn in hell for all eternity. Assuming I believed in hell – because sometimes I really wish I did. Even if it was exclusively for all rapists and torturers.

I need to go punch something now. Hard. Maybe one of the Hoover Institution guys is around… :wink:

[quote]rainjack wrote:

If it is her choice to kill a kid - then she should go find a doctor that agrees with those sorts of protocol - not get pissed at an ER doc. [/quote]

I still think you’re pretty confused, rainman. RU486 and “the morning after pill” that she was looking for have absolutely nothing in common. Two very different treatments for two very different situations.

RU486 terminates an established pregnancy, effectively an “abortion”. Hence it’s known as an abortion pill. The “morning after pill” is simply high-dose birth control that can prevent a possibly fertilized egg from implanting, and must be taken within 72 hours. So for a rape victim, getting treatment within that window could very much be considered an emergency.

I guess some of you fanatics consider any egg a potential human and so any fertilized egg that doesn’t implant is therefore “murdered”, but that’s just fucking ridiculous. The NIH released a study back in 99 that showed that roughly one third of all embryos fail. So every woman who’s period was “late” but then started has probably killed a kid by your reasoning.

Maybe you need to start earlier in the day, or switch to something a little stronger.