Rap Music

I like underground music a lot.
I have to listen to some death metal when I workout.
I don’t like ANYTHING that comes on TRL or MTV.I think it’s cheesy. I think the “artists” off of MTV have no talent and are just in the business to make money for the record companies.
However,I do think the older shit -like run dmc was good.They did have talent and it felt like their music was going in a certain direction.
Now days,they all sound the same.
Every generation has some new kinda music,I understand that.But that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t hurt to have any bands/artists that have talent.
Seems like we need something new now days. Even a lot of the rap or pop that was around in the early 00’s and late 90’s seems to be dying off a bit.
There will be something different pretty soon,but the question is will it be good?
I guess as long as cheesy pop music( like backstreet boys) is dead I’m happy.
Really.Who on earth can workout to that kinda crap in the gym?

I’ve been listening to Atmosphere and Danger Doom lately. Wu-Tang is flat-out amazing and most of the solo shit their members have done is good too. I used to like Eminem but not as much anymore. Kanye West’s first CD was sick but I didn’t like Late Registration as much. Blackstar (Mos Def and Talib Kweli) might be all-time favorite.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I don’t like ANYTHING that comes on TRL or MTV.I think it’s cheesy. I think the “artists” off of MTV have no talent and are just in the business to make money for the record companies.
[/quote]

Actually I think you’d be surprised. A lot of the MTV/TRL bands actually are incredibly talented, they just get pushed into a box so that their record companies can market them a specific way.

The true test of a band is when you see them live, that shows if they actually have talented or if they are just a bunch of overproduced assclowns.

Personally, my “rap phase” lasted a couple of years. During those years I was listening to Ice-T, NWA, Public Enemy, Ice Cube (after he left NWA he put out that Amerikka’s Most Wanted album)and I think it’s because there was nothing worth listening too as far as metal goes.

Nowadays I can take it or leave it. Some tracks are well put together (Kanye West), but most of it, to me, is just a lot of noise produced by a bunch of dudes at 4:00 in the morning after smoking weed and smacking strippers asses all night.

One thing is certain, though. Chicks love to dance to it and it can be good party music as long as it’s interspersed with some other dance tracks. I wouldn’t call any of it ground-breaking or memorable outside of what Public Enemy did back in the day.

It’s no longer true blue “Hip Hop”, it’s more like “Hip POP”. What the kids are bouncing to these days and nothing more. The formula of getting on MTV, having chicks shake their ass, show off a couple of bouncing cars, and waving money around in videos is beyond tired, but folks are still cashing in like nobody’s business.

Maybe I’m just getting old, who knows.

The other thing that drives me up the wall sideways is the white suburbanite kids dressing “hip hop”…

I think the Brits call it “Chav” or “Chavo.”

Get your own identity ya little bastards, pull up your pants and straighten out your hat. You have about as much “flava” as a yellow cupcake with no frosting. Acting like you do only exacerbates the fact.

B.

Rap music is so much an part of mainstream culture now. I love rap or hip hop music, but sometimes it is too much. Different areas of the U.S. like the south are coming up from the underground and have their following. Lyrically, I dont think rap will ever be like it was with Biggie or Tupac…who had good beats AND rhymes. Now a days a good hook, something catchy and good beat will make a song popular. If they can dance to it people love it.Take Ms. New Booty for example. Dumb song, but catchy " Booty booty booty booty rockin everywhere" is catchy but" I found you, Ms new booty." is dumb. It gets stuck in your head then you turn it up when its on. I will always like rap, but I am less impressed with it now.

As with any music type, rap is a form of entertainment. Don’t take it too seriously. There are a lot of rappers that are great songwriters, and some are just nursery rhyme crae with great beats. Use music to match what you are looking for.

Dmx, 2pac, Cam’ron, and jay-z always pump me up

I like alot of different kinds of rap, but the hip-hop crap they play on most radio stations suck IMO.

I’ll listen to DMX, eminem, 50 cent, some fort minor (kinda rap) and a few other random songs at the gym to get me fired up.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Personally, my “rap phase” lasted a couple of years. During those years I was listening to Ice-T, NWA, Public Enemy, Ice Cube (after he left NWA he put out that Amerikka’s Most Wanted album)and I think it’s because there was nothing worth listening too as far as metal goes.

Nowadays I can take it or leave it. Some tracks are well put together (Kanye West), but most of it, to me, is just a lot of noise produced by a bunch of dudes at 4:00 in the morning after smoking weed and smacking strippers asses all night.

One thing is certain, though. Chicks love to dance to it and it can be good party music as long as it’s interspersed with some other dance tracks. I wouldn’t call any of it ground-breaking or memorable outside of what Public Enemy did back in the day.

It’s no longer true blue “Hip Hop”, it’s more like “Hip POP”. What the kids are bouncing to these days and nothing more. The formula of getting on MTV, having chicks shake their ass, show off a couple of bouncing cars, and waving money around in videos is beyond tired, but folks are still cashing in like nobody’s business.

The other thing that drives me up the wall sideways is the white suburbanite kids dressing “hip hop”…

Get your own identity ya little bastards, pull up your pants and straighten out your hat. You have about as much “flava” as a yellow cupcake with no frosting. Acting like you do only exacerbates the fact.

B.

[/quote]

Us Brits call them Wiggers, chavs are a bit like your trailer park trash - cheap, pregnant, stupid and wear burbery’s.

But yeah I second that about getting there own identity.

I was into rap in the 80s. I recently discovered local talent (indie) hip-hop. I prefer the local stuff.

[quote]dmanor wrote:
I’m not here to debate it, just some kids find cursing makes them harder or tougher, I find it comical. Rap will hit you to the core if it has the right words, you don’t have to be from the ghetto to appreciate the hardships expressed.[/quote]

Well said.

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

[quote]MrChill wrote:
dmanor wrote:
I’m not here to debate it, just some kids find cursing makes them harder or tougher, I find it comical. Rap will hit you to the core if it has the right words, you don’t have to be from the ghetto to appreciate the hardships expressed.

Well said.

[/quote]

The hardships are self imposed by small mindedness, you can do what the hell you want in life, and can be anyone you want to be. You don’t have to perpetuate the problem by rapping shite and killing each other.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
HATE IT…and if you think rap is the only thing topping the charts lately, man, you have a closed mind or have tunnel vision. [/quote]

It IS dominating the charts along w/R&B.

I am old skewl, but teh new souf ish is hard to turn off…

[quote]k_lifter wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

B.

Us Brits call them Wiggers, chavs are a bit like your trailer park trash - cheap, pregnant, stupid and wear burbery’s.

[/quote]

So enlighten us all and tell us how white people are “supposed” to act/dress.

Like rockers dude? Like whoah or something?

[quote]BPC wrote:
k_lifter wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

B.

[/quote]

I don’t know or care, but when I see some middle classed white kid trying to dress and talk like a afro american ‘ganster’, I think it’s pretty pathetic. And I’m pretty sure black people think that too. It’s there culture, not ours.

[quote]jogle1234 wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
i guess i’m the only one that caught this, but this kid owns an insurance agency at 19?

It took longer than i thought for someone to say something about it, im partners with my dad i own 49% and he owns 51%. I think the employees have a hard time listening to what i tell them to do. i would too if i were 35 taking instructions from someone like me but ohh well.
[/quote]

Maybe nobody said anything because nobody gives a fuck.

I am sure it is a great achievement for you (assuming that your Dad didnt give you the 49%) and you should be proud, which you are obviously are, but what relevance does it have to this topic, or T-Nation in general.

When you blatantly brag about something, and then confirm that you were seeking attention regarding the topic you just look pathetic.

Congratulations on your achievement (if you did achieve it) but this is not the place to have you need for acknowledgement and affirmation fulfilled.

[quote]k_lifter wrote:
BPC wrote:
k_lifter wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

B.

I don’t know or care, but when I see some middle classed white kid trying to dress and talk like a afro american ‘ganster’, I think it’s pretty pathetic. And I’m pretty sure black people think that too. It’s there culture, not ours.

[/quote]

Amen!

[quote]helga wrote:
jogle1234 wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
i guess i’m the only one that caught this, but this kid owns an insurance agency at 19?

It took longer than i thought for someone to say something about it, im partners with my dad i own 49% and he owns 51%. I think the employees have a hard time listening to what i tell them to do. i would too if i were 35 taking instructions from someone like me but ohh well.

Maybe nobody said anything because nobody gives a fuck.

I am sure it is a great achievement for you (assuming that your Dad didnt give you the 49%) and you should be proud, which you are obviously are, but what relevance does it have to this topic, or T-Nation in general.

When you blatantly brag about something, and then confirm that you were seeking attention regarding the topic you just look pathetic.

Congratulations on your achievement (if you did achieve it) but this is not the place to have you need for acknowledgement and affirmation fulfilled.[/quote]

LOL well said, I was gunna write something along those lines, but got side tracked with the whole wigger thing. The most off-topic random crap.

God I love Ausy birds.

Its like anything else in this world of piece of shit businessmen. Someone has a nice idea, piece of art, music etc… Then someone who doesn’t know what the fuck they are doing gets a hold of it from a marketing aspect and totally ruins it. The sad part is, the general public is too fucking stupid to know whether they are getting quality and innovation or a gimic…

Take Atkins Diet. It was founded on decent principles, then someone went ahead and marketed it so people would buy it and a few weeks later you had people on a great diet where they could eat an entire pig.

Rap music is the biggest marketing gimic ever. Gone of the days of originality with Wu-Tang, Early Nas and Jay-z etc… Now you have pieces of trash rapping about a escalade and rims over an old R&B beat that has hardly been changed at all!!

If I happen to listen to oldies I am shocked at how many songs are copied these days! There are virtually no original beats!!! People who listen to mainstream hip hop are listening for the most part to what they are being told to listen to by MTV and the radio, its absolutely pathetic…