Rant Smokers

Smoking aint no addiction…it’s a habit …thats all it is

when you convince yourself that it’s an addiction , you’re putting the blame elsewhere . when you accept that it’s a habit , you empower yourself to break the habit

Its good since last year its been illegal too smoke indoors in clubs/pubs/bars, the first week was interesting cause i realized it covered the smell of B.O but now i’m glad i can go in and only smell like spilt alcohol if i drink

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
You know what drives up the cost of healthcare more than smokers or drinkers? Old people who refuse to die.[/quote]

Yup. Several studies have shown that smokers cost significantly less over their lifetimes than non-smokers because they tend to die before reaching the most expensive portion of life.

I’m at the health science campus of my university and there are still a few people that light up. Baffles me.

I am all for people being able to make their own choices, but if you want to make a choice that has pretty much 0 actual benefits then I don’t want to be paying for your treatment down the line.

I don’t get it, if a guy wants to smoek a cigarette or a cigar a few days a week, becuase he enjoys it, you need to get off his nuts. If someone YOU know and YOU spend a lot of time around smokes heavilly and YOU don’t like it, YOU should try to do something about it. Don’t make this a huge deal. I’ve lived my whole life withotu this being ahuge deal. While 16 years isn’t a whole lot in perspective, i’ve done and been around enough stuff to know my own position.

Why don’t cigarette smokers smoke cigars instead and not ruin their lungs? Or chewing tobacco.

They can do whatever they want, as long as they’re not blowing it in my face why would I care?

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Why don’t cigarette smokers smoke cigars instead and not ruin their lungs? Or chewing tobacco.
[/quote]

Inhalation is the quickest and most efficient means of nicotine absorption. Cigars are expensive, take longer to smoke, and the nicotine will not hit you as fast or strong, since it is absorbed relatively slowly in the blood vessels of the mouth.

I’m a pipe smoker and occasionally take a light inhalation between puffs…man does that shit hit you.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I don’t get it, if a guy wants to smoek a cigarette or a cigar a few days a week, becuase he enjoys it, you need to get off his nuts. If someone YOU know and YOU spend a lot of time around smokes heavilly and YOU don’t like it, YOU should try to do something about it. Don’t make this a huge deal. I’ve lived my whole life withotu this being ahuge deal. While 16 years isn’t a whole lot in perspective, i’ve done and been around enough stuff to know my own position.[/quote]

That’s not the issue, at least from how I’ve read the OP. People can do what they want, that’s fine. Snort coke off a sleeping lion for all I care. But if you want to participate in something that will in all likelihood end up with you needing costly medical care, it shouldn’t be paid for with the taxpayers dollar, which is currently the case in Australia.

There’s been a ‘push’ for private medical cover, you get slight tax benefits out of it, but Medicare (subsidised health care) is still a massive drain on funds.

[quote]mo0ns wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
I don’t get it, if a guy wants to smoek a cigarette or a cigar a few days a week, becuase he enjoys it, you need to get off his nuts. If someone YOU know and YOU spend a lot of time around smokes heavilly and YOU don’t like it, YOU should try to do something about it. Don’t make this a huge deal. I’ve lived my whole life withotu this being ahuge deal. While 16 years isn’t a whole lot in perspective, i’ve done and been around enough stuff to know my own position.

That’s not the issue, at least from how I’ve read the OP. People can do what they want, that’s fine. Snort coke off a sleeping lion for all I care. But if you want to participate in something that will in all likelihood end up with you needing costly medical care, it shouldn’t be paid for with the taxpayers dollar, which is currently the case in Australia.

There’s been a ‘push’ for private medical cover, you get slight tax benefits out of it, but Medicare (subsidised health care) is still a massive drain on funds.

[/quote]

EXACTLY I don’t think the people who dont understand didn’t read my entire post, In Australia The PUBLIC has to PAY for the smokers treatment, Yes in America it is a completely different situation too Australia, I think people should read back to what I wrote at the start of the thread

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
mo0ns wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

EXACTLY I don’t think the people who dont understand didn’t read my entire post, In Australia The PUBLIC has to PAY for the smokers treatment, Yes in America it is a completely different situation too Australia, I think people should read back to what I wrote at the start of the thread
[/quote]

I agree, but some where just referencing how bad smokers are in general. Having to pay for them is total bullshit anyway you slice it.

You forget how heavily smokers are taxed in Australia when they buy a pack. It’s quite funny because all that money goes towards all the anti-smoking adds, quit lobby etc. I couldn’t care less if people smoke and kill themselves, that’s their choice but keep that disgusting shit away from me. It stinks and I don’t see why MY health or any other non-smoker should be effected because we are forced to breath in second hand smoke of people who have no self control or a brain.

You got to love going out for a night with some mates who smoke, and wake up in the morning smelling of their habbit and coughing up crap. Probably why I don’t go out much anymore.

I smoke about one day a week. I actually don’t know how people get so addicted. I never have any urges to do it against my will. It feels decent, but there are a ton of things that feel WAY better for less health damage and less cost.

[quote]Addiction wrote:
You forget how heavily smokers are taxed in Australia when they buy a pack. It’s quite funny because all that money goes towards all the anti-smoking adds, quit lobby etc. I couldn’t care less if people smoke and kill themselves, that’s their choice but keep that disgusting shit away from me. It stinks and I don’t see why MY health or any other non-smoker should be effected because we are forced to breath in second hand smoke of people who have no self control or a brain.
[/quote]

the government could use that money to put more money into research for alternative fuels instead of paying for all the anti smoking crap and health care. Or into the education system instead of continually draining for people who obviously don’t care about their health.

Rudd was the worst choice for Australia and its showing through now. People who I know voted for him are now regretting what they voted for.

It is not fair my money that could be used to give some poor child a new kidney or liver is going to the fuckhead who decided too pump his lungs full of tar and now needs a lung transplant

are my views extremist? or logical? in this day and age everybody knows the dangers of tobacco so there shouldn’t be any reason why anyone under the age of 50 should be smoking. My main point is if they are smoking they SHOULDN’T be allowed free health care…

Smokers are not only paying the tax on the cigarettes, but they’re also paying all the other taxes you are paying. If you deny them national health care coverage do they get a tax rebate to pay for private health care? Why should they have to pay for YOUR health care?

It is my opinion that you cant have universal health care that isn’t universal.

And as mentioned in this thread several times, smokers usually cost less over the course of their life time because they die a lot younger. Think how much more it a person spends on health care from 60 to 80. Those 20 years are probably at least half the total expenditure.

Having said all that I hate smoking but its their choice, Live and Let Live

Private health cover does = tax benefits. I am fairly sure that it gets you out of paying a majority of the Medicare levy. So yeah, if you want to smoke on a regular basis, private health cover for the related complications should be standard.

As far as ‘smokers are taxed on cigarettes’, I will bet my left nut that most of that goes to other national initiatives and programs. Something like 10% of the fuel excise actually goes to road maintenance, and things like the Victorian TAC charge for motorcyclists are a joke. Don’t expect money to funnel directly to where you think it should be going.

[quote]mo0ns wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

[/quote]

So everyone should have to pay tax into the health system, but the government gets to decide who is worthy of treatment? I don’t trust the government enough to give them the power to decide who does or doesn’t deserve treatment.

If that were the case, I bet they would class eating a high protein diet as risky behavior.

What about someone who chooses to play contact sports and gets injured. Using your logic, why should others have to subsidize the treatment of someone who chose to participate in a risky activity?

In my view we have two options.

One is to have a public system and simply be willing to put up with subsidizing the healthcare of others, regardless of their lifestyle choices.

The second is to move towards privatization of healthcare. In this case, everyone would have to pay for their own healthcare regardless of their circumstances.

When you consider the proportion of voters who are actually paying any significant amount of income tax though, it is easy to see why the second option will never happen.

[quote]son of liars wrote:

When I see a pregnant woman smoking, this REALLY pisses me off. I know it’s “none of my business” but what the fuck…[/quote]

Agreed.

Drinking and smoking while pregnant is evil

I used to smoke, but I stopped after I started training. I have no problem with smokers, some of my best friends smoke, but if someone blows it in my face I freak out. Once I almost hit a female just because of this. I think it’s one of the most ignorant things one can do.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
So everyone should have to pay tax into the health system, but the government gets to decide who is worthy of treatment? I don’t trust the government enough to give them the power to decide who does or doesn’t deserve treatment.

If that were the case, I bet they would class eating a high protein diet as risky behavior.

What about someone who chooses to play contact sports and gets injured. Using your logic, why should others have to subsidize the treatment of someone who chose to participate in a risky activity?

In my view we have two options.

One is to have a public system and simply be willing to put up with subsidizing the healthcare of others, regardless of their lifestyle choices.

The second is to move towards privatization of healthcare. In this case, everyone would have to pay for their own healthcare regardless of their circumstances.

When you consider the proportion of voters who are actually paying any significant amount of income tax though, it is easy to see why the second option will never happen.
[/quote]

Playing sports isn’t an activity where you are nearly guaranteed to have associated health problems. Whereas nearly all smokers have emphysema on some level. Having private cover for RELATED problems, which I said from the start, is still the smart move in my opinion. You don’t have to agree, obviously many people don’t otherwise the system would already be in place.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
Addiction wrote:

the government could use that money to put more money into research for alternative fuels instead of paying for all the anti smoking crap and health care. Or into the education system instead of continually draining for people who obviously don’t care about their health.

Rudd was the worst choice for Australia and its showing through now. People who I know voted for him are now regretting what they voted for.

It is not fair my money that could be used to give some poor child a new kidney or liver is going to the fuckhead who decided too pump his lungs full of tar and now needs a lung transplant

are my views extremist? or logical? in this day and age everybody knows the dangers of tobacco so there shouldn’t be any reason why anyone under the age of 50 should be smoking. My main point is if they are smoking they SHOULDN’T be allowed free health care…[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s such a shame we have a few more years of the Rudd government, all he seems to be doing is a lot of traveling about and not much else.

With regards to the health care system. Well why not just abolish the medicare system, privatise the whole lot and treat it like car insurance. Everyone would pay a base premium, however if you perform high risk sporting activities, smoke, drink alcohol, abuse illegal drugs, eat shit etc you would then have a value added onto the yearly premium and have a rating system based on your risk. Kind of like the no claim bonus system. Have people undergo a physical analysis before taking up the insurance as to assure they are not lying on their application and it would introduce some sort of fairness into the system.