T Nation

Rant: Looking Like a Bodybuilder

I know I don’t post much. (Too much time to “hunt & Peck” the keys) This is something that happened the other day that just gets under my skin and I have to vent.

 I'll be reading T-Nation and someone (co-workers usually) will look over my shoulder at a pic of a bodybuilder in the article and say "Oh now that's gross, I dont' find that appealing at all. Is that what you want to look like?!"

 My thought is so what if I do? It's none of their concern. And what do they think? I'm just going to stroll in the next day looking like that? Do they actually think that my going to the gym, taking protein, creatine and some fish oil is going to produce those results? Whos else has heard this line before? 

I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no. [/quote]

I usually get, “You don’t need to get any bigger…where you are at right now is fine”. And they have been saying that since I was under 200lbs. Most people just see veins and immediately make those remarks so avoid thinking that those comments actually mean anything. Most of those same women would see Darrem Charles in a suit in the off season and want his phone number. You shouldn’t care about the opinion of sedentary people anyway. They can’t even comprehend someone wanting to get bigger. Their entire world revolves around losing weight on fad diets over and over.

If you walked into work reading Cosmo and complaining about how your ass is getting fat, you would fit right in.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

I usually get, “You don’t need to get any bigger…where you are at right now is fine”. And they have been saying that since I was under 200lbs. Most people just see veins and immediately make those remarks so avoid thinking that those comments actually mean anything. Most of those same women would see Darrem Charles in a suit in the off season and want his phone number. You shouldn’t care about the opinion of sedentary people anyway. They can’t even comprehend someone wanting to get bigger. Their entire world revolves around losing weight on fad diets over and over.

If you walked into work reading Cosmo and complaining about how your ass is getting fat, you would fit right in.

[/quote]

I think it has some underlying need to not feel insignificant and lazy for most people. The less you excel, the less bad they’ll feel when they look at themselves in the mirror later that night.

I think the issue also alludes to the lack of effort and work integrity in our society today. “Where you’re at right now is fine” implies that you’ve already worked hard enough for what you have, and that now you should just relax. These are the people that will never understand what personal betterment really is - The same ones who rely on New Year’s Resolutions to do the work for them.

Try being a female who trains for strength. I finally shut my father in law up when I said, “Bob, you need to understand, I don’t lift like I do so that you’ll find me sexually attractive. I lift for me, and my sport.”

Heh heh heh.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Professor X wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

I usually get, “You don’t need to get any bigger…where you are at right now is fine”. And they have been saying that since I was under 200lbs. Most people just see veins and immediately make those remarks so avoid thinking that those comments actually mean anything. Most of those same women would see Darrem Charles in a suit in the off season and want his phone number. You shouldn’t care about the opinion of sedentary people anyway. They can’t even comprehend someone wanting to get bigger. Their entire world revolves around losing weight on fad diets over and over.

If you walked into work reading Cosmo and complaining about how your ass is getting fat, you would fit right in.

I think it has some underlying need to not feel insignificant and lazy for most people. The less you excel, the less bad they’ll feel when they look at themselves in the mirror later that night.

I think the issue also alludes to the lack of effort and work integrity in our society today. “Where you’re at right now is fine” implies that you’ve already worked hard enough for what you have, and that now you should just relax. These are the people that will never understand what personal betterment really is - The same ones who rely on New Year’s Resolutions to do the work for them.[/quote]

Well put. Those same people can’t understand the goals of someone who tries to make a large physical change. They understand the ones who have actually done it even less.

Negative comments are to be expected when they are coming from people who don’t stand out in a crowd. They are happy blending into the background. Someone who doesn’t is threatening to them.

As far as the OP though, I do know that women would act differently about those pictures if they weren’t 3% body fat and oiled up. All they see is veins. If you asked one of those same people to point out what a serratus anterior muscle is, they wouldn’t be able to do it. Ignorance is bliss.

My co-workers are constantly walking into my cube as I’m reading Articles on T-Nation, or browsing the Forums.

Most of the asinine comments I receive are “Oh, I see you’re on your Steroids Site again?” or “Dude, what’s with the homosexual pictures of muscular men?”

Mind you, these are the same idiots who laugh at me for going to the campus gym 3 days a week, and packing in-between meals to keep at my desk. They refer to me as the Fish Oil and Almonds guy…

One of my co-workers even put a bobble head of Arnold Schwarzenegger with my name labeled on the pedestal at the entrance to our department. It’s been there for the better part of a year now.

I take it as a compliment. They’re trying to be cute, but I believe sedentary slobs are secretly intrigued by what we do, and feel a tad worthless around those who push themselves physically.

It’s good to be an Alpha.

Another fav is “Don’t you think you’re big enough?” They carry a tone of “cause if you don’t think you are…” It’s almost like if you were to ask an anorexic if they think they are skinny enough.

[quote]steve.rt wrote:
Another fav is “Don’t you think you’re big enough?” They carry a tone of “cause if you don’t think you are…” It’s almost like if you were to ask an anorexic if they think they are skinny enough.[/quote]

Dude, I get that from ANYONE I might accidentally relay that I am trying to gain muscle. Mind you, I can understand in some way because of where I’m at, but that degrading tone as if you must be insane to want muscles any bigger can be annoying. This is the primary reason I avoid discussing bodybuilding whenever possible unless I am at the gym speaking to other people who are also serious.

I’ve even stopped wearing a tank top anywhere else but at the gym or to the store if I go right afterwards.

Today’s STRONG WORDS

It is not worth an intelligent man’s time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that.?G. H. Hardy

Thank God for T-Nation in all it’s glory!

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no. [/quote]

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel, alba, and simpson, and I think the ones on the side of this site are gorgous. I can understand if they don’t think women should be too big, but I just don’t get how you would view the fitness model pictures as disgusting.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel, alba, and simpson, and I think the ones on the side of this site are gorgous. I can understand if they don’t think women should be too big, but I just don’t get how you would view the fitness model pictures as disgusting.[/quote]

At this point, I am convinced most people make negative comments because they think that is what they are supposed to do or else something is wrong with them. Our current culture has basically vilified big muscles on all levels. That is one reason most of these newbies respond as if they are in fear of getting “too big”.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel,…[/quote]

I have heard jessica biel referred to as “too manly.”

I have also been told at work that I am “too dedicated.”

I think alot of it comes from jealousy, subconcious or not they don’t have it and don’t want you working for it because they don’t have the determination to get there

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel, alba, and simpson, and I think the ones on the side of this site are gorgous. I can understand if they don’t think women should be too big, but I just don’t get how you would view the fitness model pictures as disgusting.

At this point, I am convinced most people make negative comments because they think that is what they are supposed to do or else something is wrong with them. Our current culture has basically vilified big muscles on all levels. That is one reason most of these newbies respond as if they are in fear of getting “too big”.[/quote]

I agree.

I am looking at T-Nation and all my friends are like ewww you want to look like that. I said sure. Why not. They work hard and have dedication to something and it shows in there bodies.

Then all I hear is steroid this and hgh that and shrinking your dick. Blah blah blah

I just laugh and brush them off.

Secretly, I want to be like the classic 70’s 210-220 body builder. I think that body would look perfect on me. Half way there and not looking back.

Fuck them and there retarded media fed being a body builder is bad bullshit. My life, my rules!

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
They’re trying to be cute, but I believe sedentary slobs are secretly intrigued by what we do, and feel a tad worthless around those who push themselves physically.

[/quote]

Excellent point. I agree - the raft of shit I’ve taken over the years (mostly at work, where having a protein shake or eating Bison and rice for breakfast is simply shocking!!) could fill the Grand Canyon.

They make jokes and nervously titter because of their own insecurity and lack of self worth. I don’t even hear them anymore…

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Try being a female who trains for strength. I finally shut my father in law up when I said, “Bob, you need to understand, I don’t lift like I do so that you’ll find me sexually attractive. I lift for me, and my sport.”

Heh heh heh.[/quote]

Okay, I am lifting so your father-in-law will find me sexually attractive. Is that weird?

How is Bob anyway?

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel, alba, and simpson, and I think the ones on the side of this site are gorgous. I can understand if they don’t think women should be too big, but I just don’t get how you would view the fitness model pictures as disgusting.

At this point, I am convinced most people make negative comments because they think that is what they are supposed to do or else something is wrong with them. Our current culture has basically vilified big muscles on all levels. That is one reason most of these newbies respond as if they are in fear of getting “too big”.

I agree.

I am looking at T-Nation and all my friends are like ewww you want to look like that. I said sure. Why not. They work hard and have dedication to something and it shows in there bodies.

Then all I hear is steroid this and hgh that and shrinking your dick. Blah blah blah

I just laugh and brush them off.

Secretly, I want to be like the classic 70’s 210-220 body builder. I think that body would look perfect on me. Half way there and not looking back.

Fuck them and there retarded media fed being a body builder is bad bullshit. My life, my rules![/quote]

Ya for right now my goal would be “relatively” light, like 5’10" 215 at a solid lean base, but at the same time I used to think I’d stop when I hit 200 and I think I’m more hungry to grow than ever. I actually have a lot of people supporting me though so I can’t really comment on that, they don’t want to get as big as I do but they’ve come with me to watch shows and watch videos and think it’s awesome for me to try and get big.

As for random people I see, I guess I’m just not large enough to illicit responses like some here yet, although I get some crazy looks in the gym when I have the gall to do things such as ghetto T-Bar rows(v-handle) and deadlifts, how dare I! I’ve had some fun comments at the grocery store checkout too.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Try being a female who trains for strength. I finally shut my father in law up when I said, “Bob, you need to understand, I don’t lift like I do so that you’ll find me sexually attractive. I lift for me, and my sport.”

Heh heh heh.

Okay, I am lifting so your father-in-law will find me sexually attractive. Is that weird?

How is Bob anyway?[/quote]

Bob’s good. He just got laid off/retired, so I’m pretty sure there will be an RV in front of our house within a week or two. They’ll stay until some time in January. It’ll be merry.

It made him very uncomfortable when I called him out for imposing his idea of sexual attractiveness on women he will never do. Seriously Bob, Dara Torres and her abs don’t want you! She never will! Her body is not something you need to worry about! It’s okay if you don’t find her attractive - attracting a 60 year old man is not her goal!

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve had people tell me those fitness models to the right of the website are disgusting. They want more “womanly” women, whatever that means. I just ignore them because I honestly don’t give a damn what other people think. I’ve had girls tell me that they think guys that are “too big” are disgusting. Do I listen? Hell no.

Are you serious? maybe you should blow up the pictures. I consider my self liking all those typical magazine women types --jessica biel, alba, and simpson, and I think the ones on the side of this site are gorgous. I can understand if they don’t think women should be too big, but I just don’t get how you would view the fitness model pictures as disgusting.[/quote]

They think they’re “too muscular” and dislike the veins that they have. Doesn’t really matter to me because I still find them appealling.