T Nation

Rant for the Smaller Guys

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
If your 5’ tall and a muscular 175 pounds, you are big but short. If you are 6’7" tall and 220 pounds, you are tall but not big.

Arnold once compared himself to Frank Zane. He based it on height and how much each would likely have weighed without working out. He then divided their current contest weight by their “no training” weight to determine the % of muscle each added.

Arnold’s conclusion was that Zane was actually the “bigger” man because he had added more relative muscle to his natural physique than Arnold had.

Moral of the Story;

Being short or tall, results from unchangeable genetics.

Being small or big, results from how hard an individual is willing to work.

Not everybody can be BIG and TALL but everybody can be BIG.

Note: Excluded from my definition of ‘big’ are fat people with no musculature. Being tall (or short) and a lard ass does not make you “big” in my book. [/quote]

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Who said that a short guy can’t be “big”? No one here would say Franco Columbo was not big.

So I’m not sure what your point was.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Why do the smallest guys bitch so much about someone ten times bigger than they are “cheating”? Guess what, if the guy is over 250lbs and huge, obviously the “cheating” he is doing is working for him. Perhaps you should take notes.

No one gives a shit about your “perfect form” if it produces LESS results. I do not stay strict on every movement. My goal in the gym is to lift well, not to lift with text book form on every single movement. Some cheating is not only necessary when lifting heavier weights, it helps as far as adding more muscular body weight.

At 150lbs, you are dumbass for looking at guys who have achieved that much more than you and believing they are doing everything wrong.

For those who are a little slow, that doesn’t mean that you simply lift weights without control. It means that while my goal is to avoid injury while also working the target muscle group, and while I may lift for most sets with the best form I can achieve, I know when I need to cheat the weight up. Only a newbie would be unable to know the difference.[/quote]

All this is so very true. When I relaxed my form more ( when I started westside training) , I put on a good solid thirty pounds.

Super strict training usually leaves you small , but at least you still can use your Super Jr. Weenie hut membership.

You’re not going to get big until you bring some balls with you when you train.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
but at least you still can use your Super Jr. Weenie hut membership.

[/quote]

Ahahaha, first time I’ve seen a Spongebob reference.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Avoids Roids wrote:
If your 5’ tall and a muscular 175 pounds, you are big but short. If you are 6’7" tall and 220 pounds, you are tall but not big.

Arnold once compared himself to Frank Zane. He based it on height and how much each would likely have weighed without working out. He then divided their current contest weight by their “no training” weight to determine the % of muscle each added.

Arnold’s conclusion was that Zane was actually the “bigger” man because he had added more relative muscle to his natural physique than Arnold had.

Moral of the Story;

Note: Excluded from my definition of ‘big’ are fat people with no musculature. Being tall (or short) and a lard ass does not make you “big” in my book.

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Who said that a short guy can’t be “big”? No one here would say Franco Columbo was not big.

So I’m not sure what your point was.[/quote]

The way that YOU should interpret my post CaLaw, is that my point is that you and your idiotic posts about the over (under) 200 pound club make you about the dumbest and least respected poster on this whole forum. Your constant sarcasm and blatant attempts at belittling and criticizing many people who ask legitimate questions are rather tiresome. You don’t make contributions. Your comments are typically meant to harrass and show us how unhappy you are in life. Why don’t you reinvent yourself as a worthwhile addition to the human race instead of just providing fodder for those that support the position that some sperm should never be taught to swim. Does that make my point any clearer to you now little man? Take it like a MAN for once in your life and just go away. However, I am sure that the little boy in you will have you coming back with some inane comments that just make you look even more foolish to everyone here. What a waste of what could have been a good mind and worthwhile contributor!

To the other posters on this thread and this forum, my apologies for ‘going off’ on that jerk. Sometimes you just have to stand up and be heard. Enough is enough.

Yet another little guy who obsesses over the big guys. You guys in the “under 200 club” need to get over it.

Be happy with meeting your own goals, and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.[/quote]

Sour grapes??

alownage wrote:
Some big guys are dumbass meatheads, some aren’t. If you have to hate on someone, hate this guy because he’s a dumbass, not because he’s a meathead. What you said just makes you sound jealous.

No one cares about your IQ in the gym. I have learned some of the best info in training from people you would probably call “dumbass meatheads”. If you have to hate someone in the gym, hate yourself for not reaching your goals. Leave the guys who passed up where you are by 50lbs or more out of it.

There seem to be many of you who turn your nose up at guys who you should probably be following some of the advice from. I guess it makes some feel better to believe that getting that large happened by accident and that you couldn’t possibly learn something from someone unless they were quoting some internet article.

I never approached lifting like that. If someone was larger than me, I shut the fuck up and watched them. Sometimes I asked them for advice. Even though all of that advice shouldn’t be followed, that type of attitude is probably why I am one of those big guys now. It is really stupid that some guys here seem to think they know more than everyone else even though they are dwarfed by so many others in the gym.[/quote]

I think you might have misunderstood me. When someone in the gym is bigger than me, I look at how they train, take mental notes, and may ask them questions about their training when they’re not busy. Anyone who struts around talking about his numbers without anyone asking is a tool, end of story. With the information given by the OP, this guy probably falls into that category.

Not all big guys are tools, and pretty much all of them are hard workers with experience. You can’t hate on that, and you DEFINITELY can’t hate on that in the gym.

I know exactly what this guy means, but he is in no position to call the guy a dumbass for lifting “wrong”. I call him a dumbass for lifting the way he does. You see he is’nt lifting wrong, he’s lifting to get fucking big, and it’s clearly working, the quality of his exercises is determined by how fitting they are to his objective. Now why I call guys like that a dumb ass is becuase you don’t HAVE to lift that way to get big. He’s sacrificing joint/connective tissue integrity in the hopes of getting bigger, I personally don’t think he’s a dumbass for lifting in a cheating way if his goal is to get bigger, but he’s a dumbass of choosing that goal without trying to minimize wear on joints. There is more to health than cardiovascular systems, organs, etc…there are joints that need care too.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Ahahaha, first time I’ve seen a Spongebob reference.[/quote]

First time I’ve seen someone admit recognizing one.

[quote]gojira wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Ahahaha, first time I’ve seen a Spongebob reference.

First time I’ve seen someone admit recognizing one.

[/quote]

Come on Gojira, I have a three year old son that loves the show. Give me a little break.

Oh, ok I admit I often watch with him too.

Wow! A 405 bench @ 253 lbs.! Is that a record?

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
I know exactly what this guy means, but he is in no position to call the guy a dumbass for lifting “wrong”. I call him a dumbass for lifting the way he does. You see he is’nt lifting wrong, he’s lifting to get fucking big, and it’s clearly working, the quality of his exercises is determined by how fitting they are to his objective. Now why I call guys like that a dumb ass is becuase you don’t HAVE to lift that way to get big. He’s sacrificing joint/connective tissue integrity in the hopes of getting bigger, I personally don’t think he’s a dumbass for lifting in a cheating way if his goal is to get bigger, but he’s a dumbass of choosing that goal without trying to minimize wear on joints. There is more to health than cardiovascular systems, organs, etc…there are joints that need care too.[/quote]

How could you possibly know how someone’s joints are responding to their activity? That would be evidenced by training for years and getting that damn big without an injury, not by some random assumption on your part based on what you THINK may be happening.

I know some guys who structurally can not do behind the neck pulldowns on a lat machine without it causing pain. They could have the best form in the world and simply doing that exercise could result in future injury. You would somehow assume their form alone is the issue without taking personal structure into assessment…making you INCORRECT.

There are some movements that I may be able to get away with just fine that someone else may not. There are some movements that I can’t do without promoting injury (like BTN triceps extensions) regardless of my form. You wouldn’t know this without knowing me PERSONALLY. Your assumptions make no sense if you base them solely on text book form.

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
Wow! A 405 bench @ 253 lbs.! Is that a record?[/quote]

Gee, considering most bodybuilders go for reps and not one rep maxes, what is your point? I won’t even list the weight I work with, but if I ever do, you can bet I am NOT discussing how much I can only do one time but how much I can do SEVERAL REPS WITH. That means your remark is pretty damn baseless. Most guys who regularly put up 405lbs on a weekly baseless for several reps usually have quite a bit of size on them.

X-Factor wrote:
I know exactly what this guy means, but he is in no position to call the guy a dumbass for lifting “wrong”. I call him a dumbass for lifting the way he does. You see he is’nt lifting wrong, he’s lifting to get fucking big, and it’s clearly working, the quality of his exercises is determined by how fitting they are to his objective. Now why I call guys like that a dumb ass is becuase you don’t HAVE to lift that way to get big. He’s sacrificing joint/connective tissue integrity in the hopes of getting bigger, I personally don’t think he’s a dumbass for lifting in a cheating way if his goal is to get bigger, but he’s a dumbass of choosing that goal without trying to minimize wear on joints. There is more to health than cardiovascular systems, organs, etc…there are joints that need care too.

How could you possibly know how someone’s joints are responding to their activity? That would be evidenced by training for years and getting that damn big without an injury, not by some random assumption on your part based on what you THINK may be happening.

I know some guys who structurally can not do behind the neck pulldowns on a lat machine without it causing pain. They could have the best form in the world and simply doing that exercise could result in future injury. You would somehow assume their form alone is the issue without taking personal structure into assessment…making you INCORRECT.

There are some movements that I may be able to get away with just fine that someone else may not. There are some movements that I can’t do without promoting injury (like BTN triceps extensions) regardless of my form. You wouldn’t know this without knowing me PERSONALLY. Your assumptions make no sense if you base them solely on text book form.[/quote]

He couldn’t be more right. Some guys can get away with doing a lot of “unfriendly” movements to their joints. Some can’t. It also depends on the joint (ex: type of acromion determined by genetics)

TornadoTommy wrote:

Gee, considering most bodybuilders go for reps and not one rep maxes, what is your point? I won’t even list the weight I work with, but if I ever do, you can bet I am NOT discussing how much I can only do one time but how much I can do SEVERAL REPS WITH. That means your remark is pretty damn baseless. Most guys who regularly put up 405lbs on a weekly baseless for several reps usually have quite a bit of size on them. [/quote]

Yep. It’s all about your sport really. Unless you COMPETE in powerlifing, singles are just another method. Bodybuilders don’t need to worry about maxing out, unless the heavier weight is a means to greater hypertrophy.

Avoids Roids wrote:

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Did you even read his post? He said:

“Not everybody can be BIG and TALL but everybody can be BIG.”

Stop being in such a hurry to insult people.

You have shown that you can make good contributions but your insufferable attitude causes people to tune you out.

TornadoTommy wrote:

Gee, considering most bodybuilders go for reps and not one rep maxes, what is your point? I won’t even list the weight I work with, but if I ever do, you can bet I am NOT discussing how much I can only do one time but how much I can do SEVERAL REPS WITH. That means your remark is pretty damn baseless. Most guys who regularly put up 405lbs on a weekly baseless for several reps usually have quite a bit of size on them. [/quote]

If I weighed 253lbs and my max bench was around 405, I wouldn’t be broadcasting it across the gym. This guy was obviously trying to intimidate/impress everyone with his remarks. In many of your posts it seems that if a guy isn’t gargantuan, at least by your standards, he hasn’t accomplished anything. You sound a lot like the guy the OP was talking about.

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

What, are you slow or something?

Since when is being big always due to how you train? And since when does being big mean you know what you are doing or that you have achieved something?

I have had friends who worked out once a week, and not very hard, who looked like bodybuilders. Genetics seems to have something to do with it.

I’m 5’4" and ectomorphic. I don’t ever want to weigh more than 150lbs. Why? Because I’ll look like a bowling ball. Do I want to be muscular? Yes, but not at the expense of looking like a circus freak.

My brother is a pro bodybuilder and he is 5’5". When training for a competition he weighs approximately 185lbs. Guess what his comp weight is…that’s right 137lbs. Why do you think that is? Because he looks like shit unless his body is more proportional and being lighter looks good for him.

I laugh to myself at all the “big” guys in my hardcore gym when I see them stare at me doing pistols ATG or 1 arm pullups. They feel like gods smashing their dumbbells to the floor after a set of incline presses. I weigh 135lbs and don’t have to smash my 80lb dummbells to the floor after a set of incline presses. I can actually control them and place them back on the rack without all the noise.

Being “big” isn’t everybody’s goal and shouldn’t be something to admire unless it was achieved through intelligent training and nutrition. Not every “big” guy in the gym has done something worthy of admiring in order to get that way not to mention some could do anything and achieve that size.

If you’re unable to see anything other than this whole “big” thing when it comes to training, then continue on with your blinders.

I’ll save you the trouble…I know I’m just jealous because I can’t get big, right? Already covered that angle in my post, but thanks anyway.

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
TornadoTommy wrote:

Gee, considering most bodybuilders go for reps and not one rep maxes, what is your point? I won’t even list the weight I work with, but if I ever do, you can bet I am NOT discussing how much I can only do one time but how much I can do SEVERAL REPS WITH. That means your remark is pretty damn baseless. Most guys who regularly put up 405lbs on a weekly baseless for several reps usually have quite a bit of size on them.

If I weighed 253lbs and my max bench was around 405, I wouldn’t be broadcasting it across the gym. This guy was obviously trying to intimidate/impress everyone with his remarks. In many of your posts it seems that if a guy isn’t gargantuan, at least by your standards, he hasn’t accomplished anything. You sound a lot like the guy the OP was talking about.[/quote]

Max bench? You sound a lot like a guy who can’t comprehend what he reads. Benchpressing 405lbs for reps IS an accomplishment for most people in the gym and most guys aren’t working out with that much weight FOR SEVERAL REPS regardless of how much they weigh. As far as your comment about me not acknowledging anyone who isn’t “gargantuan”, that is a huge load of crap. I won’t however, give props to someone who hasn’t accomplished much. Why should anyone?

The OP is the one claiming he should be recognized for his 150lbs. Excuse the rest of the world for not really giving a shit about the average skinny guy in the gym. That is no different than things have always been. Don’t be jealous. Make some progress and get yourself noticed if that is so important for you.

Why do so many of you want recognition for for mediocrity? Anyone can be average.