Rant - Annoying People at the Gym

Ok quick rant - just trained at Lunch today only had about 45 mins, anyway thought i'd do a bit of antagonist style and start with d/bell bench, followed with d/bell rows. So I'm sitting on the bench, i've got some great breakbeat pulsing on the pod, ready to start off when i can sense a guy looking at me from the bench press to my right, now i have spotted him on bench a couple of times before and now he's looking at me like a puppy dog, but i refuse to make eye contact as i'm fired up to blast out this back and chest, he continues to try and get my attention, but i refuse to give in. 

Then just as I’m ready to start my second round he rocks up - “can you give us a spot?” To which i replied “no not today mate i haven’t got much time and i’m in the ‘zone’ :wink: Now Fuck off” I didn’t actually say the last bit. Then i said “why dont you get one of those blokes who works here to spot you, you know the ones who wear those purple outfits and seem to just spend all the time chatting to the girls or having social with the fatter clientele” He then nodded and walked off looking a bit wounded.

This got me thinking about this guy and i have only ever seen him on the bench, never seen him train his legs and he started to piss me off more. Then as i finished off the quick session with some B/Bell lunges some pretty boy starts thowing plates of 5kgs around behind me, i look at him as if to say is there really any need to throw the plates around like that? He then loads up the EZ bar with lets say 15kg total and on his last reps begins to scream like a maniac. Why he wanted to draw attention to the pathetic weight he was lifting i don’t know! Muppet! i wanted to twat him.

• Ok rant over - I left the gym in a bad mood today…never mind at least it’s the weekend tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Just a quick question…so a guy asks you for a spot and this pisses you off?

Yeah, when i’m in a hurry about to bust out my sets and there are loads of staff hanging around doing nothing - yes it does piss me off. Some people have no ability or perception to see when someones in this mood.

Shut up and get laid…ya big crybaby!

Dude, that’s just wrong. 30 seconds will not make a difference so severe to your workout that you’ll miss out on developing a great chest or back.

Perhaps I am being a little too analytical about it, but maybe he asked you cause you looked like you had a clue about weight lifting. Maybe he was staring cause you were the biggest guy in the gym and knew he wasnt. I’ve done that one before.

If I had to bet, he wanted more than a spot, probably advice. I mean if you think about it, half the morons that work at the gym look like they shouldnt. I mean really, who would you ask for a spot (maybe advice)? The guys that say they have a clue or the rock solid guy hammering out 300 lb BPs?

Quit whining you pussy!

By starting this thread, you effectively did the same thing as the muppet who screamed for attention lifting the punk ass weights on a lame exercise. You just screamed for your own attention letting all of us know that your attitude is that of a fucking four year old.

Rolo.

[quote]TheZ-Man wrote:
Shut up and get laid…ya big crybaby![/quote]

Lets not be harsh now. It can be annoying to have to spot someone but, the best thing to do is just spot the guy and get back to work. whatever the other guy is doing or yelling or throwing, instead of getting pissed…laugh…find the humor in it. I tend to give these guys the benefit of the doubt…they’re motivated and jacked up. I don’t believe they’re trying to annoy everyone. At least they are motivated. They could be leaning against the power rack talking on their cell phones. THAT would piss me off.

Here is something to piss you off. I posted this a LONG, long time ago. I was at FSU working out at the fitness center. I was doing push presses. One of the undergrad “personal” trainers walked up to me and told me that push presses or any explosive movements were not allowed in the center. I asked the senior instructor in the gym(i’m sorry…fitness center) about this and he said those types of movements were unsafe. Not exactly Westside bb club at FSU!!!

Don’t get me wrong, i do and have always ‘spotted’ people, but on this occasion i was short of time and ready to start mine, had i done one spot then i would have had to spot him for the other four or five sets. Now i come to think of it why did i waste my time ranting about it on the forum - i got fuckin work to do - and the guy who said go get laid, not a bad idea, I’m out tonight so might try and get myself a bit of skirt to bang the ass off. Laters Bros!

I have honestly never turned down spotting a person in my life. I can think of about 20 things at the gym that could be more annoying than having to help someone get stronger or attempt a PR. Here are my top 5 in no particular order.

1. People curling in the power rack. If I am in a hurry I either tell them they need to go or I need to work in.

2. People who do dumbell presses and feel the need to toss the dumbells halfway across the gym when they are done. That is just unsafe!

3. People who think it is ok to take control of three or more pieces of equipment because they are doing a curcuit. I simply refuse to acknowledge the person exists…and just go about my business.

4. Personal trainers giving advice giving advice straight from Flex magazine. “Dude if you want to get stronger you need to do triple drops and forced reps!”

5. The Smith machine. That thing pisses me off just looking at it. We actually have 3 or 4 of them. Ridiculous!

Shit, I usually consider it an honor to get asked for a spot.

The other day some large dude was working up to a 385 on the bench beside me. He said he was feeling sore so thought he’d better get a spot… just in case… sure thing man.

I think that is the most anyone in my gym has seen – it sparked up the odd conversation later on anyway.

[quote]vroom wrote:

The other day some large dude was working up to a 385 on the bench beside me. He said he was feeling sore so thought he’d better get a spot… just in case… sure thing man.

I think that is the most anyone in my gym has seen – it sparked up the odd conversation later on anyway.[/quote]

I had a similar experience. A guy was doing some heavy squats and asked me for a spot. One thing lead to another. Now we raise alpacas together on a farm in Idaho. On the weekends we teach salsa dancing to the local ranchers!!!

I feel very fortunate to have a nice gym in my home. And being self employed it is easy to find time to work out.

bomberlow,

you have every right to be pissed off. i’m WITH YOU man.

Bastard

[quote]nolecat wrote:
vroom wrote:

I think that is the most anyone in my gym has seen – it sparked up the odd conversation later on anyway.

I had a similar experience. A guy was doing some heavy squats and asked me for a spot. One thing lead to another. Now we raise alpacas together on a farm in Idaho. On the weekends we teach salsa dancing to the local ranchers!!![/quote]

LMAO, fuck thats funny

[quote]popilek wrote:
I have honestly never turned down spotting a person in my life. I can think of about 20 things at the gym that could be more annoying than having to help someone get stronger or attempt a PR. Here are my top 5 in no particular order.

1. People curling in the power rack. If I am in a hurry I either tell them they need to go or I need to work in.

2. People who do dumbell presses and feel the need to toss the dumbells halfway across the gym when they are done. That is just unsafe!

3. People who think it is ok to take control of three or more pieces of equipment because they are doing a curcuit. I simply refuse to acknowledge the person exists…and just go about my business.

4. Personal trainers giving advice giving advice straight from Flex magazine. “Dude if you want to get stronger you need to do triple drops and forced reps!”

5. The Smith machine. That thing pisses me off just looking at it. We actually have 3 or 4 of them. Ridiculous! [/quote]

6. You have one power rack and 3 or 4 Smith Machines? That is pretty weird.

7. If you are pushing up 100+ pound dumbbells, its kind of hard to set them down really nicely. I guess if you want to strain your back doing a 200+ pound situp or rip a shoulder out of socket by setting the dumbbells down nicely is your cup of tea, thats fine. But, for others, it’s not.

8. Have some courtesy and ask to work in. Besides, I’m sure you very rarely use the machines. Remember, stick with free weights.

9. What’s wrong with forced reps? God forbid you actually try to push your body beyond limits.

10. I agree. The Smith Machine is good for stretching on, though.

I too think it’s cool when people ask me for a spot. If they’re a little guy it makes me feel like he thinks highly of me or something like that. If he’s a big guy then I feel like he thinks that I’m in there pushing my weight too. Either way I have no problem spotting anyone in the gym. I especially like when the ladies ask for a spot.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
popilek wrote:

5. The Smith machine. That thing pisses me off just looking at it. We actually have 3 or 4 of them. Ridiculous!

6. You have one power rack and 3 or 4 Smith Machines? That is pretty weird.

7. If you are pushing up 100+ pound dumbbells, its kind of hard to set them down really nicely. I guess if you want to strain your back doing a 200+ pound situp or rip a shoulder out of socket by setting the dumbbells down nicely is your cup of tea, thats fine. But, for others, it’s not.

8. Have some courtesy and ask to work in. Besides, I’m sure you very rarely use the machines. Remember, stick with free weights.

9. What’s wrong with forced reps? God forbid you actually try to push your body beyond limits.

10. I agree. The Smith Machine is good for stretching on, though.[/quote]

11. I’ve developed a pretty good technique for not dropping my dumbbells… and I routinely bench over 100 lbs. Instead of bringing the weight all the way back to the shoulders on the last rep, bring it about half way down, bring the knees up to meet the weight, and then, like you said, do a sit up keeping the weight on the knees. Since the weight still has a high center of mass relative to you, the situp is easy :slight_smile:

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
2. I’ve developed a pretty good technique for not dropping my dumbbells… and I routinely bench over 100 lbs. Instead of bringing the weight all the way back to the shoulders on the last rep, bring it about half way down, bring the knees up to meet the weight, and then, like you said, do a sit up keeping the weight on the knees. Since the weight still has a high center of mass relative to you, the situp is easy :)[/quote]

Hmmmm… very interesting :slight_smile: