T Nation

Rant About Selling Stuff

No real point to this thread, just a rant, you might find it humorous, might not …maybe you can relate if you’ve sold anything

Why can’t people pick up a phone and call when they want something? It’s pathetic I think, and is something I’ve really started to notice over the past couple of weeks. I’m selling a bunch of my stuff because I’m moving so I have it listed on a website, and in all my ads I say to call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx, and people ALWAYS email.

First email comes, I reply, answer their questions and end it by telling them if they have any more questions or want to look at the item to call me, do they? Nope, they insist on playing email tag.

And what’s with people asking a billion questions about $10 and $20 items? I post multiple pictures of my items and still get 100 questions about a fucking chair. Example, I sold this leather chair for 25 bucks, swival, recliner, rocker, big overstuffed thing, pretty good deal I’d say, considering they’re like $1000 new.

After being reassured that it worked this couple comes out to look at it, I open the door and say “so you’re here to buy my chair eh?” “Oh, were just here to LOOK at it first.” Alrighty then, you drove 20 mins to look at a chair that had 4 pictures posted of it that is worth 10x what I’m asking and you just want to look at it, good stuff.

Then of course you get the losers who want you to deliver $10 items for free or want to haggle for $5 bucks. And of course my favorite is the pricks who set up times for big ticket items, like cars, and don’t bother to show up, I’ve sold 3 in the past year, and 3/4s of never show. And hey, about the loser who said he was going to the bank to get some cash and would be right back?

I’ve also given some stuff away for free and holy fuck are people ignorant, I post something up for free and an hour later I got 100 emails saying “give it to me,” no please or thank you or nothing, and then when I do it give it away and tell them it’s gone some of them have the audacity to say stupid shit like “I was first to respond, it should’ve been mine” and “thanks for nothing”.

If you are going to use a crappy service like craigslist, expect a lot of crap.

So don’t let them push you around. Make people work around your schedule. And don’t sell cheap shit.

If someone shows up just to look - tell them they have to buy within 30 seconds or you close the door.

If you don’t want to answer emails - delete them.

This isn’t rocket science. It’s called having self-respect.

You’re selling second-hand chairs and bitching about the type of people who show interest?

Sheesh.

People who post a “rants” on this site never seem to get the supportive responses they were hoping for. lol

[quote]tedro wrote:
If you are going to use a crappy service like craigslist, expect a lot of crap.[/quote]

What would you recommend? Flea bay? Fuck that.

[quote]NateOrade wrote:
So don’t let them push you around. Make people work around your schedule. And don’t sell cheap shit.

If someone shows up just to look - tell them they have to buy within 30 seconds or you close the door.

If you don’t want to answer emails - delete them.

This isn’t rocket science. It’s called having self-respect.[/quote]

Well I don’t take email appointments anymore, I just tell them to call when they want to come look, if I’m here I’m here, if not well try later.

Why wouldn’t I sell cheap shit? May not be making alot but I’m certainly not losing out by selling it. Everything I am selling is 2nd, 3rd, 4th…hand stuff to begin with, so it’s not like it’s commanding top dollar. In fact I haven’t paid over $20 for any piece of furniture I own.

Also, slamming the door in someone’s face will not sell anything.

[quote]NateOrade wrote:
People who post a “rants” on this site never seem to get the supportive responses they were hoping for. lol[/quote]

Wasn’t looking for support, I thought it was kind of humorous, like I said in the initial post there wasn’t really a point to it

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
tedro wrote:
If you are going to use a crappy service like craigslist, expect a lot of crap.

What would you recommend? Flea bay? Fuck that.[/quote]

I agree, ebay sucks, I’m not interested in site that require a credit card and/or paypal just to use them. I’m also not interested in paying to put a bunch of ads for cheap stuff in the paper.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:

Also, slamming the door in someone’s face will not sell anything. [/quote]

It’s more about valuing your time…which apparently you don’t.

EDIT: Well unless you’re a young guy who’s just beginning his entrepreneurial efforts selling cheap shit. In that case I salute you.

[quote]NateOrade wrote:
Joe84 wrote:

Also, slamming the door in someone’s face will not sell anything.

It’s more about valuing your time…which apparently you don’t.

EDIT: Well unless you’re a young guy who’s just beginning his entrepreneurial efforts selling cheap shit. In that case I salute you.[/quote]

Just trying to get rid of all my stuff before moving across the country. I don’t like throwing my stuff away, even if it only cost me 10 bucks, it makes me feel like I wasted my money.

Could you tell me more about these chairs?

Send me an email (Im way to fucking busy to take your call).