Range of Movement Progression

I have been using the ROMP training on squats for the last 5 weeks. I am just going to log my results so far. My max to begin with was 440 on a regular squat. For the ROMP training I chose to try it with 500 pounds. The only thing I have been doing that does not follow the usual ROMP training style is not lowering the amount of reps when I lower the bar each week. Instead I just divide the reps through out more sets. 

So each week I try to get 18-20 reps with 500 pounds. Lowering the bar one peg each week. So far It is working great, the first week I was sore in my back and shoulders just from the weight, and shock to my system. The next week my body hurt afterwards but not as bad, and getting the reps was not as hard as I thought either. It was much the same for the rest of the 5 weeks, eachtime I would go in I could easily get the reps I needed to, as long as I put the same amount of reps in more sets to get a bigger break between all the reps.

I have prgressed very well so far I am doing about a 3/4 squat with 500 pounds, 2 more pegs and I will be at a full squat with 500 pounds. I do believe it will work, as my body and mind don’t think 500 pounds is what it once was. I have a digital video camera so if I can figure out how to use it right I may put some video up so you guys don’t think I am full of shit.

Anyway I feel that the ROMP system is worth trying as I feel I am having excellent results. If you have questions or thoughts let me know I will answer to the best of my ability.

are you using a box?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
are you using a box?[/quote]

How would that work? Not some much the theory, but the logic. Like how would squatting with the bar set on pins AND using a box be beneficial?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
are you using a box?

How would that work? Not some much the theory, but the logic. Like how would squatting with the bar set on pins AND using a box be beneficial?[/quote]

wait what, I didn’t realize he was using pins sorry, We have adjustable boxes I always wanted to try this type of training with which spurred the question.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
are you using a box?

How would that work? Not some much the theory, but the logic. Like how would squatting with the bar set on pins AND using a box be beneficial?

wait what, I didn’t realize he was using pins sorry, We have adjustable boxes I always wanted to try this type of training with which spurred the question.[/quote]

Ohhh… yeah yeah I get what ya mean. The way he’s talking about is the old school Paul Anderson stand in a hole and squat, add a bit more clay to make the hole more shallow and squat again buzz…

I dunno how well it would work with a box. I imagine trying to control supra-max loads onto a box would be a good way to injure yourself if you even let your mind slip for a minute.

I tried doing this type of program with bench press but I used to much weight my max for a lockout and reduced the ROM too fast and ended up losing strength, well I hope this works for you I might try this approach again with bench but this time with a smaller weight.

Hey guys I did it. I was only supposed to be doing 2 pegs above a full squat, but I felt good and said hell lets try 500pounds for a full squat. I did it 1x then as I was getting ready to rack it I basically said fuck work tonight and repped it again. So all in all my body responded quite well to this kind of training my 2rep max is now 500 pounds.

This is by far the strongest I have ever been in the squat. Hell I feel pretty good my legs are very fatigued but I did some squat sets after my max and then some leg press. I am left wondering if maybe I have been dodging the heavy weights on squat and just not realised it. I am going to try to lift as close to 500 pounds as I can and still maintain about 20 or 30 reps of squat every squat day, for 3 weeks. I will then evaluate my max and try the ROMP training again. When I started lifting 500 pounds on squat was my goal, now I am thinking 600- 700 pounds, we will see.

That’s awesome. Congrats!!

Not to be an ass, but are you sure all your reps were down? You might have gotten a bit used to stopping so high from all the partial ROM work.

Your squat’s gone from 440 to 500+ in like 8 or 9 weeks so?? Any gain in bodyweight? That’s insane going.

Just so I’m clear, did you start with the bar on the pins and just stand up or did you start normally, lower the bar to the pins then squat back up. I’m just trying to picture it…

Ah, reasonable questions I will answer as best I can. I started out just like a normal squat weight was at shoulder level. I then did 2 good squats with 500 pounds. I am pretty positive that they were nice deep squats, simply b/c they have an adjustable box at my gym and we use that to make sure we are going deep enough, we don’t sit on it we put it back far enough you can’t rest on it but it brushes your ass you explode up. My thighs were paralell to the floor. I even had the guy spotting me check to see if I was paralell before i did the lift, he said I performed 2 good deep squats.

I am in no way trying to say I went ass to ankles or anything like that but from the power squat videos I have seen it would have been just as deep as when they max. I wonder if my body just needed that kind of exertion to get stronger? I am simply amazed at the results. I gained no noticeable weight but I can tell you my pants are fitting tight in the thighs and loose in the waist lately and everyone keeps asking if I lost weight. If you have anymore questions I will answer them as best I can. I can also try next squat day to video me doing it if you guys would like, so you can see for yourselves how it looks.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Just so I’m clear, did you start with the bar on the pins and just stand up or did you start normally, lower the bar to the pins then squat back up. I’m just trying to picture it…[/quote]

Do you mean when I maxed or while I was training to squat 500? while training I would lower the pins each week and just lift the weight off the pins and then back to the pins 18 to 20 reps each squat day. Today when I maxed I did a normal squat.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
That’s awesome. Congrats!!

Not to be an ass, but are you sure all your reps were down? You might have gotten a bit used to stopping so high from all the partial ROM work.

Your squat’s gone from 440 to 500+ in like 8 or 9 weeks so?? Any gain in bodyweight? That’s insane going.[/quote]

I accomplished this in 6 weeks b/c today should not have been my max out day it should have been like 2 weeks out. I can not believe the results I had on this program. My body must have really needed that. I can not explain how it worked so well. I can only assume it is b/c I have never done anything like that before. And I can understand your question about my depth, but I am positive it was a paralell squat. The best thing I can offer is to try to video it for you next week so then you can see it.

Yeah, that’d be awesome if you could get a video! it’s such a crazy improvement like. How hard were you pushing it each day on the partial ROM stuff?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Yeah, that’d be awesome if you could get a video! it’s such a crazy improvement like. How hard were you pushing it each day on the partial ROM stuff?[/quote]

Well, next week I will try to get you a video. How hard was I pushing it…I was lowering the peg and still kept my reps at 18-20 each day.Keeping the reps high was hard as I lowered the peg each day. It was hard at first then once my body realised I was going to be squatting 500 pounds every week it got easier.

[quote]bigdaddy082 wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Just so I’m clear, did you start with the bar on the pins and just stand up or did you start normally, lower the bar to the pins then squat back up. I’m just trying to picture it…

Do you mean when I maxed or while I was training to squat 500? while training I would lower the pins each week and just lift the weight off the pins and then back to the pins 18 to 20 reps each squat day. Today when I maxed I did a normal squat.[/quote]

Sorry about that, I did mean while you are training. I guess I didn’t ask it very well. I just wanted to know if you started with the eccentric portion and then squatted down or if you walked the weight out, squatted down to touch the pins then back up. But from your answer, you started at the bottom and went up/down. Thanks. Oh, and congrats on the PR…

What kind of assistance did you do during this? Also, did you train DL during this period. I am thinking about trying it sometime with full squat gear.

[quote]CurtMcDonald wrote:
What kind of assistance did you do during this? Also, did you train DL during this period. I am thinking about trying it sometime with full squat gear.[/quote]

Assistance? The whole time I was training squat with ROMP I worked out 4x’s per week and did one lift each day. Bench-Squat-deadlift-Bentover Rows. This is my attempt at getting as strong as possible. I went up to 5 sets of 3 and as low as 12sets of 1. The only equipment I use for squat is a belt.

You didn’t use ROMP on anything besides the squat though right?

just used the ROMP on squat that is correct I don’t know if any of you guys are stiil interested in a video I will be trying to get it on here this coming saturday.

I am!! Looking forward to it dude.