Range of Motion on MedX Pullover

Dr Darden

How far should your arms go back [over your head] on the medx pullover?
Behind your head?
Thank you.

Most people can get their upper arms on the movement arm approximately to their ears. Work on getting a mild stretch and do the movement smoothly. I would not recommend trying to get an excessive range of movement during the stretched position of the pullover.

Maybe this relates to you; perhaps it doesn’t, but your question reminds me of a logic flaw that many trainees have.

People often go to great lengths to set up exercise machines precisely as mandated by expert instructions. And they move the device through its range of motion using the target body part for locomotion. The goal, of course, is to get the movement arm from point A to point B and back again for reps.

WRONG. Exercise machines are made FOR the body – they’re tools – and must be adjusted to place the most effective load on YOUR working muscles. You should move through YOUR perfect movement range, riveting your attention on the contracting and un-contracting of the muscles. You’ll know your endpoints when you feel them.

For example, as a background, I’m lat-dominant, and my lats and back have always been above average in size and strength. I also have a heightened mind-muscle connection. So I can easily know when I’m hitting the target muscles.

When doing the Nautilus pullover, if set up per the instructions, I feel minimal effect on my lats. If, however, I lower the seat slightly, grab the movement arm with my hands, and pull my elbows off the pads, I feel maximum resistance on my lats and I get the greatest range of motion.

I recommend you experiment adjusting an exercise machine until your body “owns” the movement. Then only pay attention to your body’s movement while exercising on the device.

So it really doesn’t matter where your elbows end the top range of the MedX pullover, as long as it’s YOUR endpoint.

Elbows off the pads is exactly what xforce pullover does

What Tim does is interesting. I’ve done almost the same thing, except I raise my seat on the Nautilus pullover. Doing so feels better on my lats.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they’re more than rare. I believe X-Force machines are excellent. I would, however, exploit the negative differently than the typical way. I think X-Force technology could allow us to take additional advantage of our new growth-signaling/protein-synthesis model. But I don’t want to go into it here. We’ll release more information in due time (free, of course).

1 Like

Its ashame, only 4 gyms in the USA

1 Like

So pulling with hands on bar is better than pushing with elbows on pads?

For me, it is – 100 percent.

The main reason gyms don’t have X-force is the cost. I’m surprised there are that many in the US that have them. Face it, very few gym members know or care what a negative is or the importance of them in training. Gyms are a business and spending that kind of money on machines wouldn’t be too smart business wise when they can fill the gyms with with other, great pieces at a fraction of the cost.

I hope Roger Schwab is doing OK with his new X-Foce gym after his incredible, long standing success with Main Line Nautilus. Any one know how it’s going ?

I hear Schwabs xforce is successful

the two in tampa are also successful

I agree the cost for each machine is enormous, 14 pieces would be about 150,000.00

and you are also correct that a big box gym would not and does not promote eccentric training