Range of Motion for Your Lifts

I used to get a lot of shoulder pain after benching, then I tried stopping a bit above my chest, and it went away. I guess I might have long forearms, which would increase the angle that my shoulders would be at, so lever length might be an issue there-my shoulders were still getting a good ROM though, though this is different to only doing a partial curl or squat.

[quote]Bigfoot833 wrote:
I used to get a lot of shoulder pain after benching, then I tried stopping a bit above my chest, and it went away. I guess I might have long forearms, which would increase the angle that my shoulders would be at, so lever length might be an issue there-my shoulders were still getting a good ROM though, though this is different to only doing a partial curl or squat.[/quote]

Exactly the same for me. Shoulders hurt whenever I do full ROM benching, I’ve learned that my ‘sweet spot’ is about an inch or two below where I start to ‘feel it’ in the chest(which is about 5-7 inches above the chest). No shoulder pain, and consistent progress, can’t complain. Curiously, I never had any shoulder pains with DB press, but that could just be because I DB press a significantly less amount of weight than BB.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:

[quote]Bigfoot833 wrote:
I used to get a lot of shoulder pain after benching, then I tried stopping a bit above my chest, and it went away. I guess I might have long forearms, which would increase the angle that my shoulders would be at, so lever length might be an issue there-my shoulders were still getting a good ROM though, though this is different to only doing a partial curl or squat.[/quote]

Exactly the same for me. Shoulders hurt whenever I do full ROM benching, I’ve learned that my ‘sweet spot’ is about an inch or two below where I start to ‘feel it’ in the chest(which is about 5-7 inches above the chest). No shoulder pain, and consistent progress, can’t complain. Curiously, I never had any shoulder pains with DB press, but that could just be because I DB press a significantly less amount of weight than BB. [/quote]

It could be that you might hold the dumbbells differently, which would put your shoulder in a different position, putting less stress on the ligaments/tendons. Or it might be something else.

I believe in working muscles through as full a ROM as the exercise allows, but its important to remember that this doesnt equate to a full ROM on every exercise.

The bench press being a good example, by limiting ROM on bench press you can still work the chest through a good ROM as well as keeping it under tension for longer

[quote]Malevolence wrote:

[quote]Bigfoot833 wrote:

Exactly the same for me. Shoulders hurt whenever I do full ROM benching, I’ve learned that my ‘sweet spot’ is about an inch or two below where I start to ‘feel it’ in the chest(which is about 5-7 inches above the chest). No shoulder pain, and consistent progress, can’t complain. Curiously, I never had any shoulder pains with DB press, but that could just be because I DB press a significantly less amount of weight than BB. [/quote]

x3

[quote]stockzy wrote:
They never went full range but the day they tore it they went to a greater range than normal by accident and bang.
[/quote]

Moral of the story = Don’t go full ROM on the bicep movements LOL

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

[quote]stockzy wrote:
They never went full range but the day they tore it they went to a greater range than normal by accident and bang.
[/quote]

Moral of the story = Don’t go full ROM on the bicep movements LOL[/quote]

Likely that they overextended the joint/overstretched the muscle and then bounced/jerked out of the bottom position or something like that.
Easiest to achieve a tear or at least severe elbow discomfort that way on the preacher bench…

That’s one reason for why I always make sure to have a bit of a bend in my elbows before starting the positive. Also, all the pro vids I’ve seen had those guys never go to full extension, often doing mid-range partials…

Thanks for all the feed back.

Basically I’ve found that for myself certain movements have grown quicker by not using full ROM. ie. biceps, chest when pushing. More so upper chest, shoulders again when pushing. I use both full ROM and Partial ROM movement dependant. Plus I have no shoulder pain which used to be an issue for me from years of football.

Like so many have said learn your body.

CC, that is really what got me curious, so many Pros use a limited ROM.

[quote]3hitter wrote:
CC, that is really what got me curious, so many Pros use a limited ROM.[/quote]

It was watching the pro’s that changed my opinion/reassured me :slight_smile:

I’ll never forget the pain in my elbows when doing preacher curls 100% ROM…and that wasn’t even much weight.