T Nation

Randy Prefers Soy to Whey

Check out this interview with Randy Couture. Some interesting comments by him in regards to his diet. Oh, and the last few seconds are rather funny…

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/video-randy-couture-spanking-my-buddy-cage-790430/

…and hearts break all across T-Nationland. lol.

He was pretty adamant about not taking Whey. He tries to avoid all dairy products. He also mentioned some greens drink that he uses.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
He was pretty adamant about not taking Whey. [/quote]

Maybe if he would have used whey he wouldn’t have got KTFO twice by Chuck (a guy that paints his toe nails)!

Oh yeah, and maybe his damn bones wouldn’t have been so brittle and break with a little leg kick!..ever think of that, huh.

OK, I’m going to go run and hide in case he reads this, bye now.

I don’t know if he explained in the article, but I bet he avoids whey because it’s “acidic.” Couture follows an “alkaline diet.” I do, too, actually.

But that doesn’t mean you must avoid all “acidic” foods. If you did, you couldn’t eat meat, e.g.

Also, some think dairy is pro-inflammatory. Since whey is dairy, the thinking goes, it would be inflammatory.

But I’ve found that not to be the case with me. There’s something “different” about whey. I can’t explain it. But if you drop milk, you’ll feel much better. But if you drop whey, you won’t feel better - maybe even worse.

So I don’t understand why whey does not have the negative effects that most dairy has. Someone should ask Thibs in his locker room, as I imagine he’s thought through the issue more than I have.

It’s almost certainly because most lactose is filtered out. Particularly if you are using a whey isolate product.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I don’t know if he explained in the article, but I bet he avoids whey because it’s “acidic.” Couture follows an “alkaline diet.” I do, too, actually.

But that doesn’t mean you must avoid all “acidic” foods. If you did, you couldn’t eat meat, e.g.

Also, some think dairy is pro-inflammatory. Since whey is dairy, the thinking goes, it would be inflammatory.

But I’ve found that not to be the case with me. There’s something “different” about whey. I can’t explain it. But if you drop milk, you’ll feel much better. But if you drop whey, you won’t feel better - maybe even worse.

So I don’t understand why whey does not have the negative effects that most dairy has. Someone should ask Thibs in his locker room, as I imagine he’s thought through the issue more than I have.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.

I recently started cutting milk from my diet and do notice a difference on days I consume, as opposed to days I don’t.

And yes, Couture definitely mentions his non-acidic diet. Obviously, it’s paid dividends for him.

Whey still messes up my stomach, though not as much as milk. I drink it anyway.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I don’t know if he explained in the article, but I bet he avoids whey because it’s “acidic.” Couture follows an “alkaline diet.” I do, too, actually.[/quote]

See, I just think of that as a “balanced” diet. Besides all the phytonutrients, it’s why everyone recommends eating a crapload of fruits and veggies (especially greens) with your protein. I eat broccoli and a giant spinach salad every day, among other things, and I feel pretty good about it.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
He was pretty adamant about not taking Whey.

Maybe if he would have used whey he wouldn’t have got KTFO twice by Chuck (a guy that paints his toe nails)! [/quote]

LMAO!

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
He also mentioned some greens drink that he uses.[/quote]

Greens+ prolly.


Randy is a bad mofo. Soy emerges from the toxic cloud of indictment that it has been under.

Honestly I really dont give a fuck what Randy thinks. I know what works for me.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Honestly I really dont give a fuck what Randy thinks. I know what works for me.[/quote]

When I was but a newb I used soy. I had a health-fetish and I tried out vegetarianism and all sorts of stuff. During the time I used soy shakes I actually made awesome newb progress progress. I haven’t used soy for six years now and I am far more developed at this time. I wouldn’t condemn it for people that are intolerant to dairy, but I wouldn’t recommend it first, before whey.

So much progress I said it “twice!”

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Honestly I really dont give a fuck what Randy thinks. I know what works for me.[/quote]

Why would you discredit what the man is saying? He’s not saying that everyone should use soy, he’s just saying that it’s his prefered choice of protein. I thought it was interesting that since soy comes under a lot of fire, here’s a UFC champion that uses the product.

Take from it what you will.

Not discrediting Randy at all, i just think that the large majority of people will take his opinion and run with it. Fact is everyone’s individual… Soy works for him, Whey works fine for me… I’m not going to change up my life cause Randy has a hard on for soy milk.

When you’re on HRT like Randy Couture no doubt is, well, the (alleged) estrogenic issues of soy just ain’t an issue.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Not discrediting Randy at all, i just think that the large majority of people will take his opinion and run with it. Fact is everyone’s individual… Soy works for him, Whey works fine for me… I’m not going to change up my life cause Randy has a hard on for soy milk.[/quote]

Gotcha.