Randy is Back with the UFC

Lesnar is fighting Randy for the UFC HW title. LOL. After that, win or lose, the UFC has agreed to do everything in their power to get Fedor for a fight with Randy. If Randy vs Fedor doesn’t happen for the title, winner of Nog vs Mir is the number one challenger.

Nog just got fucked.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=2

Apparently Brock and Randy are fighting for the title on Nov 15 in vegas. The winner will face the winner of Nog/Mir in early 2009 to unify the HW belt.

This is great news. Lesnar/Couture is going to be a great fight. If you want to see if Brock can take a punch this is fight you want. Randy’s boxing in much better and don’t think we wants anything to do with brock on the ground. I think Randy uses his wrestling to keep the fight standing and goes to work with his improved boxing. I think this fight ends up being Brock’s punching power against Randy’s boxing skills, and Brock’s TDs against Randy’s TD defense.

This is way better than Kongo/Lesnar and there is absolutly no down side for the UFC.

[quote]Seego wrote:
And will Brock be getting a title shot if in fact Randy is still the champ? That’d be a load of bs. Fifty-fifty ad you get a shot? One win? It’s not like when A.Silva beat the fuck out of Leben prior to his shot either.[/quote]

People need to get over this. The fact of the matter is that this has the potential to be the biggest PPV event in MMA history. You also have to realize that this will create many more increased PPV shows in the future. No matter who wins the next show they fight on will be huge as well.

As for a title shot. Mir got one after beating Lesnar in his first UFC outing. Nog got one after beating Herring. Brock is an animal and huge draw. This will be good fight and one that I will definately pay to watch.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Lesnar is fighting Randy for the UFC HW title. LOL. After that, win or lose, the UFC has agreed to do everything in their power to get Fedor for a fight with Randy. If Randy vs Fedor doesn’t happen for the title, winner of Nog vs Mir is the number one challenger.

Nog just got fucked.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=2[/quote]

dependeing on what his contract says Nog could be planning his retirement now. If he wins again Mir he is looking at nothing but upside. If nog were to fight randy for the title now the PPV buys would be average. Neither fighter has been a big PPV draw. Lesnar is a PPV stud. If he beats Randy it only means he is a bigger draw for his fight against Nog. Nog benefits. If randy beats Lesnar his PPV draw goes up. Nog benefits. It is even better for Nog if Fedor gets thrown in there somewhere. Again Nog benefits from increasing PPV draw no matter how it goes down. The only downside is having to wait a year to get a fight that will draw more PPV buys and interest than anything he would have gotten had Lesnar not been in the picture.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I can’t believe I’m even entertaining the thought of Brock beating Randy, but as you say, in terms of styles, this could be a great matchup for brock. Randy stood and banged with Gonzaga, so maybe he could do the same here. Or maybe not, we really dont know. On the other hand, is Randy’s BJJ game enough to give Brock trouble? I dont know much about Randy’s bjj, but we know even less about brock’s CURRENT bjj defense … 7 months ago it was less than basic, where is it now? I will say this, I dont see either one being able to make this into a GnP/LnP special. If one of them wants to get up, he’s going to get up. My 2 cents.

[/quote]

Historically, Randy has fared well against other wrestlers, but then again, Brock is enormous and a solid wrestler and Randy IS aging (even though everyone has been saying that since he was 39).

[quote]Pluto wrote:
It will be interesting. A 45 year old legend in the game, or the huge inexperienced in MMA Lesner. Seems a lot like the Kimbo v.s Shamrock going on over at Elite XC eh?[/quote]

Similar, it’s just that the two UFC guys have a much higher pedigree.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Nog just got fucked.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=2 [/quote]

Your link is down now. Can anyone post the info the Fedor stipulation? I hope Randy got that whole “Everything in their power” part in writing and it accurately describes what that means, because I’m putting my money on jack shit.

Nog did get fucked.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
I’m not as concerned about his age as I am his inactivity over the past year. Also, style wise Lessnar is not a good match for him. That is not to say that he won’t be able to find a way to beat him. But, he won’t be grounding and pounding. Maybe if he can defend the take down, which he is good at, and uses his boxing skills which are good…he can win. But…I’m not betting on it.[/quote]

If Brock wins, I will be impressed. If Randy wins or it’s a close call, I will be EXTREMELY impressed with Randy.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Nog just got fucked.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=2

Your link is down now. Can anyone post the info the Fedor stipulation? I hope Randy got that whole “Everything in their power” part in writing and it accurately describes what that means, because I’m putting my money on jack shit.

Nog did get fucked.

[/quote]

There wasn’t any sort of stipulation. Dana just said at the press conference “We will do what we can to work with Affliction and make a Fedor fight happen.”

Translation: “We are going to make so much fucking money on Lesnar vs Couture I’ll say anything to smooth things over.”

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Nog just got fucked.

Nog did get fucked.

There wasn’t any sort of stipulation. Dana just said at the press conference “We will do what we can to work with Affliction and make a Fedor fight happen.”

Translation: “We are going to make so much fucking money on Lesnar vs Couture I’ll say anything to smooth things over.”[/quote]

Pfft…like Dana has ever not been true to his word! Blasphemy!

i think it’s gonna be an awesome fight, but how are Randy and Nog not fighting? Randy’s the champ, and Nog’s the interim champ.

whatever, both the Nog-Mire fight and the Couture-Lesner fight are gonna be awesome.

Why can’t fighters just stay retired?

Become a coach or something…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i think it’s gonna be an awesome fight, but how are Randy and Nog not fighting? Randy’s the champ, and Nog’s the interim champ.

[/quote]

The UFC is adopting the new “Fair Play” mentality. No losers, everyone is a winner and after the fight both guys get a belt. Yeah!!!

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I can’t believe I’m even entertaining the thought of Brock beating Randy, but as you say, in terms of styles, this could be a great matchup for brock. Randy stood and banged with Gonzaga, so maybe he could do the same here.

Or maybe not, we really dont know. On the other hand, is Randy’s BJJ game enough to give Brock trouble? I dont know much about Randy’s bjj, but we know even less about brock’s CURRENT bjj defense … 7 months ago it was less than basic, where is it now?

I will say this, I dont see either one being able to make this into a GnP/LnP special. If one of them wants to get up, he’s going to get up. My 2 cents.

[/quote]

Fair enough. And I am expecting Randy to figure out a game plan to win, such as standing “dirty boxing” and his experience should pay off. It’s just that Lesner seems to have some qualities that nullify some of Randy’s strengths.

for example, Lesner shouldn’t tire during the match and he should be able to take Randy down, just maybe not keep him there.

I could also see Randy tricking Brock into giving up points. For example, if Randy did what he did to Tim (putting both hands on the mat) when Tim was going to through a knee, I could see Brock following through with the knee and giving up a point.

Assuming Randy wins his fight with Lesnar (and the one with the winner of Nog/Mir, assuming that’s what the UFC requires him to do next), I’m trying to think of a plausible scenario in my mind in which they actually make a Randy vs. Fedor fight happen, and I just . . . can’t see that happening.

Dana has said (and I can’t blame him for this) that he wouldn’t do just a one-fight deal with Fedor. Makes perfect sense; if the guy beats your current UFC heavyweight champ and has the belt, you don’t want him then just skipping town and fighting elsewhere – he’s now the UFC champ!

BUT, after aaaaall the bad blood built up between Fedor (and his management) and the UFC, mostly due to Dana public insulting them, saying “Fedor sucks,” “Fedor is a farce,” “Fedor is irrelevant” and calling his management team “crazy Russians,” I don’t see Fedor being willing to work for this idiot who’s insulted the hell out of him.

The UFC also didn’t want to allow Fedor to compete in combat sambo on the side (a sport which is a huge deal in Russia and for which he is a national hero, and which poses ZERO risk of him losing or being embarrassed), they have a clause which doesn’t allow one to leave the UFC if they’re the reigning champion, etc., etc. So Fedor wasn’t happy with that and other things.

On the other side, Fedor’s management wanted other fighters from Fedor’s Red Devil team to be signed along with Fedor, like a package deal to help their younger guys (which the UFC had no interest in or need for), and they even proposed that the UFC help them invest in a new STADIUM in RUSSIA where they could hold big fights.

So there’s been craziness on both sides. And I just don’t see it being worked out at this point, unless it’s a one-fight things, which the UFC won’t do. Fedor won’t sign a contract to be a UFC employee/fighter. Just not gonna’ happen.

So how on earth, pray tell, does anyone foresee this fight happening . . . ?

[quote]Damici wrote:
Assuming Randy wins his fight with Lesnar (and the one with the winner of Nog/Mir, assuming that’s what the UFC requires him to do next), I’m trying to think of a plausible scenario in my mind in which they actually make a Randy vs. Fedor fight happen, and I just . . . can’t see that happening.

Dana has said (and I can’t blame him for this) that he wouldn’t do just a one-fight deal with Fedor. Makes perfect sense; if the guy beats your current UFC heavyweight champ and has the belt, you don’t want him then just skipping town and fighting elsewhere – he’s now the UFC champ!

BUT, after aaaaall the bad blood built up between Fedor (and his management) and the UFC, mostly due to Dana public insulting them, saying “Fedor sucks,” “Fedor is a farce,” “Fedor is irrelevant” and calling his management team “crazy Russians,” I don’t see Fedor being willing to work for this idiot who’s insulted the hell out of him.

The UFC also didn’t want to allow Fedor to compete in combat sambo on the side (a sport which is a huge deal in Russia and for which he is a national hero, and which poses ZERO risk of him losing or being embarrassed), they have a clause which doesn’t allow one to leave the UFC if they’re the reigning champion, etc., etc.

So Fedor wasn’t happy with that and other things.

On the other side, Fedor’s management wanted other fighters from Fedor’s Red Devil team to be signed along with Fedor, like a package deal to help their younger guys (which the UFC had no interest in or need for), and they even proposed that the UFC help them invest in a new STADIUM in RUSSIA where they could hold big fights.

So there’s been craziness on both sides. And I just don’t see it being worked out at this point, unless it’s a one-fight things, which the UFC won’t do. Fedor won’t sign a contract to be a UFC employee/fighter. Just not gonna’ happen.

So how on earth, pray tell, does anyone foresee this fight happening . . . ?[/quote]

Excellent post.

I don’t think Fedor/Randy will ever happen now. If Randy thinks he will be fighting Fedor in the octagon, he’s been hit in the head too many times.

I would love to see Randy’s new contract…

[quote]Damici wrote:
So how on earth, pray tell, does anyone foresee this fight happening . . . ?[/quote]

I’m gonna guess that Dana either made some promises to Randy (like he’ll cut an expensive one-fight deal or something), or Dana thinks Affliction will go under, Randy agrees, and the UFC will buy up Affliction like Pride and acquire their fighters…including Fedor.

In any case, I don’t think Randy would have dropped out unless he had a legit chance at Fedor. He’s not hurting for money, the court conclusion was too far out to guess he was on the losing end, and HDNet was financing his dispute.

[quote]Damici wrote:

Affliction collapsing. That’s my guess as to what they are banking on. They are burning through a lot of cash and by the time Randy-Lesnar happens, Affliction’s second card will have gone down and their future should be more clear. Most signs point to that future not being all roses.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Damici wrote:
So how on earth, pray tell, does anyone foresee this fight happening . . . ?

Affliction collapsing. That’s my guess as to what they are banking on. They are burning through a lot of cash and by the time Randy-Lesnar happens, Affliction’s second card will have gone down and their future should be more clear. Most signs point to that future not being all roses.[/quote]

Yep. That’s the only likely way this thing ever gets done.